Food for thought maybe

Do you like your job at UPS?

• I love what I do. ITs tough at times, but I love it

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • Nope, I hate everything about my job. Its just a paycheck

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • The pay is nice. But if I could find another job that pays this well...

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • I dont know

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

upsgrunt

Danny darling there are many things that can be over looked, especially for you. Not so for certain others. :happy-very: I takes a bigger man to admit that he is wrong than it does for one to hide from the truth. :happy2:

There are times in life when one must set aside those people who do little to aid in their quest.

The only problem I have with this quote is that it implies to me that one should disregard anyone who can't help you advance yourself. Like it is an "all about me" insight. I've always felt that everyone has the ability to lift each other up no matter what the differences would be. This is just my opinion.

StopCount

Currently I can't stand what they have me do, work as directed.
Driving overflow loads to Harvard square, doing meet points with drivers to swap their misloads, having some drivers show up late & telling the boss that I was the one who was late, spending hours just sitting somewhere on the road waiting for someone back at the center to make a decision about where I go next, the center manager allowing others to have time off & forgetting to inform me that I will have to cover their work , going around and picking up sups, getting a working DIAD to some driver who easily could have returned to the center themselves, finding out from drivers that one of the sups told them that I would be available to help them yet I was never told ,being told that I have to assist the clerk doing Same-day-will-calls and when I show up that clerk disappears. My bid was ECS clerk/ air driver { with no scheduled route } so they made me a air driver cover.
Come next bid, Feb 2010, I am taking a non-driving job. The center manager can get some other fool to be his slave.

Your job sounds better than mine...

I work for 9 hours and am told I should have completed it in 7 hours.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Serious question - What is bad about the type of driver stuff they have you doing.
Just curious.
Hoax

I signed on to be an ECS clerk.

The job always before went to who ever was lowest on the bid .
It was the easiest way for them to learn the area.
The center manager changed that, leaving the low bidder inside doing my job for the past year & a half . The only nice thing is when he is now sent out to do something, he has no area knowledge and he screws up. Which reflect back upon the center manager. Who gets mad , and takes it out on me.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Serious question - What is bad about the type of driver stuff they have you doing.
Just curious.
Hoax

I worked in that bldg and counter with Baba Gounj, and it is pretty ridiculous. Hes changing clothes like 3 times a day between counter and reg browns. He rarely ever does his bid which is the counter ECS stuff which is what he is best at AND has by far the most seniority to take his bid job.

Unfortunately he knows all of the air runs as well as has more area knowledge (which is parts of Boston, Cambridge, and to say the least more difficult areas to get around) than most anyone, so he gets the air or misc work.

The worst part is that since he is bid air driver (as is another counter clerk), and even though he has about 25 years seniority over this other driver, the center takes him out to do the air work over the lowest seniority bid.

Knowing too much is never a good thing.

P

pickup

I worked in that bldg and counter with Baba Gounj, and it is pretty ridiculous. Hes changing clothes like 3 times a day between counter and reg browns. He rarely ever does his bid which is the counter ECS stuff which is what he is best at AND has by far the most seniority to take his bid job.

Unfortunately he knows all of the air runs as well as has more area knowledge (which is parts of Boston, Cambridge, and to say the least more difficult areas to get around) than most anyone, so he gets the air or misc work.

The worst part is that since he is bid air driver (as is another counter clerk), and even though he has about 25 years seniority over this other driver, the center takes him out to do the air work over the lowest seniority bid.

Perhaps the center manager doesn't appreciate "birthers"

raceanoncr

Also didn't vote on poll cuz didn't feel the options rightly reflected my view.

Can't say, after 31 yrs, that I love this job. Have been feeder driver for more than 28 but it hasn't been a fluff job. Was at bottom of senior list for many years. Had to take crummy feeder jobs, some were not even bids, just cover, on-call, etc. Here, it's only been, maybe the last ten years or so that I've had a decent (to me) choice of bids to keep me going.

I will say, tho, that the worst job in feeders has always been better than the best job in package cars. So I made a go of it.

I did sleepers for many years and consistently made at or over 100K a year. Where else could I go with almost no education (only completed 12th grade and that was barely) and make this kind of $ and bennies attached?

The actual job now consists of almost nothing. Just drive out to meet point, drive back. Got decent tractor, a/c, air ride cab, vertical stack, XM radio...most things we didn't have when I started, and I thot I was on top of the world THEN!

I, too, am really put off by the direction the company is taking these days. I came back after long disability just a couple weeks ago, as an example, and had the required rider. He was OK but the paperwork at the end of the ride was INCREDIBLE!!!! 9 pages of stuff to go over now and it had to be done NOW, not tomorrow. That meant I had to wait ON THE CLOCK for him to finish it. No bid deal, cuz it was O/T but what about all the cutbacks?

Sometimes you just sit back and scratch your head while counting your money.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Just curious.
Hoax

One of the "rules " I have to follow is this; I can not do a ground stop.
I could have a package for a customer, be sitting in front of their location, have them walk up to me and I have to tell them that I am not authorized to give them their shipment.
I have to give it to the proper route driver even if he / she is miles away, so that he / she can drive back to make the stop.
Why because if I show a ground stop on my board, then it shows up as another driver is working and that screws up the center manager's numbers for the day/week.
Now everyone knows its all about the numbers, no longer do they care about actually providing good service.
And I can't stand this new policy, I would rather do the stop and help out a fellow driver.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I could have a package for a customer, be sitting in front of their location, have them walk up to me and I have to tell them that I am not authorized to give them their shipment.
I have to give it to the proper route driver even if he / she is miles away, so that he / she can drive back to make the stop.
Why because if I show a ground stop on my board, then it shows up as another driver is working and that screws up the center manager's numbers for the day/week.
Now everyone knows its all about the numbers, no longer do they care about actually providing good service.
And I can't stand this new policy, I would rather do the stop and help out a fellow driver.
But they'll let you pick up grounds to high heaven, no? :biting:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here's a thought--why don't you just pull the 1Z, hand the pkg to the consignee, and then give the 1Z to the proper driver and have him record the stop? Customer gets their pkg and driver doesn't have to double back.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
upstate,
what happens when the customer says that they didnt receive the package and it shows that the other driver delivered it. why not just allow the air guy to record it. its always about the numbers. its not safety 1st its number 1st.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
upstate,
what happens when the customer says that they didnt receive the package and it shows that the other driver delivered it. why not just allow the air guy to record it. its always about the numbers. its not safety 1st its number 1st.
I don't know about other places but around here our air drivers are not allowed to touch ground, if they do they get top driver pay. It's not only about the numbers but about the money as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

upstate,

Go back and read his post and you will answer your own question.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

upstate,
Pull the 1Z and have the customer sign it. This will alleviate that situation. When the driver records said stop, they can do a SDN with the customer's name. That for the conscientious air driver that wants to help out. The other alternative is to wait there for the other driver. Either way you wait and get paid, though the first way is better customer service.

Why is it that when Upstate is quoted, his font is that of dilli? Could Upstate and dilli be one in the same?:surprised:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Pull the 1Z and have the customer sign it. This will alleviate that situation. When the driver records said stop, they can do a SDN with the customer's name. That for the conscientious air driver that wants to help out. The other alternative is to wait there for the other driver. Either way you wait and get paid, though the first way is better customer service.

Why is it that when Upstate is quoted, his font is that of dilli? Could Upstate and dilli be one in the same?:surprised:
Not hardly, he doesn't have the integrity to even be in the same room with me.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If you want it left alone, may I suggest you agree to disagree and stop the passive agressiveness in your postings. It's not like we can't tell something has occurred in your relationship.

I for one can vouch that they are not one and the same.

Married maybe, but not one and the same:peaceful:

d
Ha Ha Ha.