Food

moreluck

golden ticket member
Seder Dinner (2013: March 25-April 2) is on first night of Passover

The food and wine customs of a given Seder are elaborate, and differ between regions and families, but some factors remain constant.

• Each participant in the Seder drinks four cups of wine throughout the evening, at fixed points, for the four promises of redemption associated with the exodus story.
  • The major dietary restriction during the week of Passover is the ban of leavened bread, or chometz. Chometz is as bread made from (wheat, oat, spelt, rye, or barley) flour that has been in contact with water for more than 18 minutes and therefore had a chance to rise. Before Passover, the house is traditionally cleansed of chometz.

Fundamental to the Seder table is the Seder plate, which has on it the following items:

• zeroah, a lamb's shankbone symbolizing the ancient Passover sacrifice
  • beitzah, a roasted egg symbolizing the temple sacrifice and the continuing cycle of life
  • haroset, a paste of fruit and nuts symbolizing the mortar used to build the pyramid of the pharaohs
  • mar'or, a bitter herb (like horseradish) to represent the bitterness of slavery
  • karpas, a green vegetable (usually parsley) representing spring
  • A bowl of salt water to dip the karpas symbolizing the slaves' tears.
    Some traditions also include chazeret, a second bitter herb, usually the roots of romaine lettuce. Also necessary are three matzos (unleavened bread, symbolizing the haste of the flight from Egypt — there was no time for the bread to rise), either wrapped in cloth or covered, and broken and eaten at set points throughout the evening. The actual Seder meal is also quite variable. Traditions among Ashkenazi Jews generally include gefilte fish (poached fish dumplings), matzo ball soup, brisket or roast chicken, potato kugel (somewhat like a casserole) and tzimmes, a stew of carrots and prunes, sometimes including potatoes or sweet potatoes.

texan

The food and wine customs of a given Seder are elaborate, and differ between regions and families, but some factors remain constant.

• Each participant in the Seder drinks four cups of wine throughout the evening, at fixed points, for the four promises of redemption associated with the exodus story.
  • The major dietary restriction during the week of Passover is the ban of leavened bread, or chometz. Chometz is as bread made from (wheat, oat, spelt, rye, or barley) flour that has been in contact with water for more than 18 minutes and therefore had a chance to rise. Before Passover, the house is traditionally cleansed of chometz.

Fundamental to the Seder table is the Seder plate, which has on it the following items:

• beitzah, a roasted egg symbolizing the temple sacrifice and the continuing cycle of life
  • haroset, a paste of fruit and nuts symbolizing the mortar used to build the pyramid of the pharaohs
  • mar'or, a bitter herb (like horseradish) to represent the bitterness of slavery
    Some traditions also include chazeret, a second bitter herb, usually the roots of romaine lettuce. Also necessary are three matzos (unleavened bread, symbolizing the haste of the flight from Egypt — there was no time for the bread to rise), either wrapped in cloth or covered, and broken and eaten at set points throughout the evening. The actual Seder meal is also quite variable. Traditions among Ashkenazi Jews generally include gefilte fish (poached fish dumplings), matzo ball soup, brisket or roast chicken, potato kugel (somewhat like a casserole) and tzimmes, a stew of carrots and prunes, sometimes including potatoes or sweet potatoes.
Ours, for my Congregation, is 30 March. Saturday.

texan

Also interestingly enough.............
The new Pope Francis,

Pope Francis reaches out to Roman Jews
VATICAN CITY Like his predecessor, Pope Francis reached out to Rome's Jewish community at the
very start ofriend his pontificate, pledging to continue to strengthen the increasingly close ties between
Catholics and Jews.

Just hours after he was elected the first non-European pope in history, Francis sent a letter
to Rome's chief rabbi Riccardo di Segni, saying he hoped to "contribute to the progress that
relations between Jews and Catholics" have seen since the 1962-1965 Second Vatican Council.
Pope Francis reaches out to Roman Jews - CBS News

moreluck

golden ticket member
I have a question. That Seder Menu, although representative of events, does not sound appetizing.......how do you keep this interesting for kids?? Must be a challenge to say the least.

texan

I have a question. That Seder Menu, although representative of events, does not sound appetizing.......how do you keep this interesting for kids?? Must be a challenge to say the least.

I have never witnessed children (within a reasonable age) not interested.

Most Jewish people have similar meals at home all through the year, and the children
are use to these traditions.

They (children) are engaged by the parents and involved in all.

They are taught the reason, and are encouraged to particpate and ask questions.

When one engages, and allow participation and questions, they stay focused. :happy-very:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Great product....new to me.

I don't often make tacos.....we love 'em, but just go to Taco Bell or Del Taco.

Craving them today and asked hubby, crispy shell or soft tortilla ??
He had no preference and I found Old El Paso with 6 crunchy and 6 soft flour tortilla in one box. No decision. Great way to do it!!

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Blueberries are my very favorite fruit and I eat them all the time. Well, when I can afford them. I had always heard they were antioxidant rich too, but I guess not?

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll tell me that diet coke is really good for me!
Yeah, blueberries are loaded with antioxidants. My favorite is cereal with blueberries, strawberries (sometimes raspberries) and a fresh cut banana. I eat that every day. Requires a huge bowl, but it's worth it.