McGee

...yet we have feeder drivers posting that they are being sent back to the hub so that the company can use contractors...

Tractor Trailer Driver

MI, United States
Tractor Trailer Driver - $26/hour PLUS $200/week bonus
UPS is hiring individuals to work as full-time, temporary, seasonal Tractor-Trailer Drivers. This position involves driving a tractor-trailer unit to one or more destinations and then returning to the original domicile during the same work shift. Some work is performed outdoors.

Seasonal Tractor-Trailer Drivers typically work weekdays (Monday through Friday) and are required to meet driver appearance standards. UPS Tractor-Trailer Drivers usually begin work in the evening and finish the following morning.

Applicants must pass a DOT physical and drug test and successfully pass a UPS road test. Qualified applicants must have a valid commercial driver’s license issued in the state that you live and a doubles endorsement is desired. Tractor-Trailer Drivers are expected to comply with UPS appearance guidelines and wear the company-provided uniform. UPS also requires a copy of your motor vehicle record driver abstract that has been issued within the past 30 days.

This job posting includes information about the minimum qualifications (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines), locations, shifts, and operations within the locations which may consider my application. An applicant or employee may request an exception or change to, or an accommodation of, any condition of employment (including the UPS Uniform and Personal Appearance Guidelines) because of a sincerely held religious belief or practice.

UPS is an equal opportunity employer – race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity

We have been waiting on trucks all week here... ( of course except Monday)

Well I did it, I started UPS 2weeks ago loading trucks in the A.m and then be a driver helper. The driver of the truck I loaded gave me a good word on how good a job I did on his packages and I got the diad down pat. Thanks to the good advise from the drivers and from here. Thank you. It just seems to be a waste of someone wants to work hard and gets the system down why wont they hire full time right away. Anyways I'm takin it one box at a time. And enjoying it. Thanks guys for the good words. Be nice if you could use diad as garage door opener, instead of hittin the dogs..... Later

How does one go about getting a part time driver position. I heard that you have to work as part time on the belt and it takes years to become a driver. Another question, at the bigger hubs do they operate 24/7 and can you work more then one partime shift.
Thank god my sup is letting me work on the belt and be a driver helper.
I have to say this if anyone that's starting out and is a helper for a seasoned driver consider yourself a lucky person. Watch, listen , learn, work hard. If you end up with someone that's only been driving a year do the same watch, listen, learn , work hard. And be patient with the newer driver. The seasoned driver that has been on that same route for 10 years know all his stops like family and will deliver without any stress at all and you will think " hey this is easy I can do this". Well you will end up like the one year guy stressing just a little every day. However the plus to a new driver is a big plus he will take the time to show you and explain the diad. But catch on quick. Also your going to do more walking with a newer driver and that's understandable because its a new position that comes with new rules and operations
Think about this all those boxes your going to pickup imagine have to write down every box , location, and time. Again that's why the seasoned drive make it easy now.

How does one go about getting a part time driver position. I heard that you have to work as part time on the belt and it takes years to become a driver. Another question, at the bigger hubs do they operate 24/7 and can you work more then one partime shift.
Thank god my sup is letting me work on the belt and be a driver helper.
I have to say this if anyone that's starting out and is a helper for a seasoned driver consider yourself a lucky person. Watch, listen , learn, work hard. If you end up with someone that's only been driving a year do the same watch, listen, learn , work hard. And be patient with the newer driver. The seasoned driver that has been on that same route for 10 years know all his stops like family and will deliver without any stress at all and you will think " hey this is easy I can do this". Well you will end up like the one year guy stressing just a little every day. However the plus to a new driver is a big plus he will take the time to show you and explain the diad. But catch on quick. Also your going to do more walking with a newer driver and that's understandable because its a new position that comes with new rules and operations
Think about this all those boxes your going to pickup imagine have to write down every box , location, and time. Again that's why the seasoned drive make it easy now.
Work hard during peak and make a name for yourself
That's a good start.

Glamourgirlnomore

Let me give it a shot.

Welcome to UPS. You have found the site HR has warned you about. Brown Cafe is a place for UPS employees to gather and share information about the company and to blow off steam. Most people here have been there, done that, got the bad knees to show it. Before asking questions check out the search function. Most issues have been discussed and while it may seem new to you, most of us have heard it all before. If we don't take your concern seriously, relax and join in the fun.

Again, welcome to Big Brown and remember, it's just cardboard.
Thank you! Glad to have found y'all!

Glamourgirlnomore

was told today by a guy doing driver helper that him and his driver pee into a bottle, just wondering if this is common.
would drivers tolerate someone that has to use the bathroom alot? or would they find themselves out of a job?
also if driver doesnt seem to like my work/pace im assuming i can get fired and i would be out of driver helper till next season?
I have found that I may have to pee, but I exert so much, delivering to this massive skyscraper, that somehow, later, I don't have to pee anymore! Which is good, because I don't have the time!!! I NEVER stop!
And when I DO kinda run, which we ALL know is a "no no," I tell the office people I pass, "You did not see me running!" They laugh.
But, what's with the "have to pee, don't have to pee, anymore?" Am I sweating not bullets, but urine? Lol!!!

Glamourgirlnomore

finnaly got the call start tomorrow night 10pm loader / unloader I cant wait ive been out of work since summer I know ill probably be sore for a while but looking forward to it,, thanks for all the info guys
Make SURE to ALWAYS STRETCH OUT before you work!!!!!!!!
DO IT in the parking lot. Not on the clock.

Glamourgirlnomore

just wondering how its decided when a driver helper can go home? heard a few driver helpers complaining today, they wanted to go home
but driver wouldnt let them.
Gee whiz! You work til the driver says he/she doesn't need you.
You are their "B" for the season. Lol.
I always am ready to go on the truck with my driver, after busting my (soon to be amazing butt) after working 5/6 + hours delivering EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF to this huge skyscraper.
So far, hadn't been necessary, but I'm here for him and UPS. I DONT CARE WHAT TIME I GET HOME. My social life is on hold, for now.

Glamourgirlnomore

Maybe not drinking enough water so sweating urine Lol
I'm really blessed! I know on 22 they usually ask me, "Would you like anything to drink or eat?" I tell them, "I don't get breaks, but would love something to drink!" They will say, "We have extra lunches, so if you'd like, we can keep it in the fridge, and you can get it when you finish."
Love those folks!!!!
I grab a Coke and a water. I'm pretty good at balancing the dolly, the dinosaur DIAD (over 10 years old!!!) and my Coke and water. Good thing I was a cheerleader, dancer, and gymnast. I have great balance and strength, thank goodness!
They will get a gift from me for the holidays!!!! ❤️

Octave

Do pt pre-load get breaks after 4 hours during peak season
This is a really touchy subject, likely need to check your local union rep/contract. At my hub, we must be given a 15 minute break if we go over 4 hours but that never happens. But we have people who are really comfortable with the union rules take breaks anyway, the sups don't stop them.

I actually forget precisely when we're supposed to be given breaks, it's either 15m every 4h, or the same thing but only if we're putting in FT hours.

Simple answer is no, preload doesn't get breaks. In the two peaks I've worked we've had four breaks total. And every single one of them was because someone went to the head of the hub and demanded it. They don't like giving us breaks because it means they have to shut down the whole operation, all the way from unload to outbound.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do pt pre-load get breaks after 4 hours during peak season
Our contract states "near the middle of the shift" which is vague language.

When I was on Preload I was the shop steward for a while and one day we got late trailers and they made us skip our break and take it at the very end of the sort. I was still new to the steward thing and I didnt wanna create a work stoppage so I went along with it. But as soon as the sort was over I had a nice fresh grievance filled out. In return for not filing, I got everyone an additional 10 minute break and a promise it would never happen again.

mewoyou

Question about seniority. 5 drivers all have the same hire date...October 28th. Management has our seniority as who drove first. Isn't it supposed to be a flip of a coin or draw sticks? We all have the same hire date.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Question about seniority. 5 drivers all have the same hire date...October 28th. Management has our seniority as who drove first. Isn't it supposed to be a flip of a coin or draw sticks? We all have the same hire date.
That is typically decided by an established practice between the company & the union. Maybe it's who drove first, maybe it's who punched in first, maybe it's who applied first, maybe a coin flip. Where I am, it's alphabetical (last name).

Ask your union shop steward, or call the hall and ask your business agent.