browntroll

just wondering how its decided when a driver helper can go home? heard a few driver helpers complaining today, they wanted to go home
but driver wouldnt let them.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
just wondering how its decided when a driver helper can go home? heard a few driver helpers complaining today, they wanted to go home
The driver decides. If the helper really turns into a whiny little twerp, the driver may let them go permanently. We can't fire them but we control their hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The driver decides. If the helper really turns into a whiny little twerp, the driver may let them go permanently. We can't fire them but we control their hours.

Drivers are given a helper time card which will show the dispatched stops and helper hours. The goal is to use the helper up until the number of hours on that sheet; however, things happen during the day that may cause the driver to hold the helper beyond that time. Yesterday I was told I could have my helper for 5.75 hours but we worked so well together that I cut him loose at 4.25 hours.

Most helpers want as many hours as they can get; however, if they start complaining and the driver insists that they stay, you have to wonder just how effective they will be at that point.

#1) I had a pre-employment drug test.
#2) Do drivers really not care what the helpers wear? I'm wearing my uniform as a first-time helper tomorrow. Is this a mistake?

If you are handing packages to a customer, you need to be 100% professional (in uniform.) I don't know what hub these people are from that say to just wear what you want to wear. That makes us all look like a bunch of slackers. Wear the brown or go work for FedEx. My opinion.

was told today by a guy doing driver helper that him and his driver pee into a bottle, just wondering if this is common.
would drivers tolerate someone that has to use the bathroom alot? or would they find themselves out of a job?
also if driver doesnt seem to like my work/pace im assuming i can get fired and i would be out of driver helper till next season?

Don't pee anywhere except a proper bathroom unless it is an absolute emergency. You can get fired for that for sure.

markb82

Just started a few weeks ago, First time as a Seasonal driver, have a few questions. 1.) Why are some seasonal people making $24 something per hour and others making $18 something per hour? 2.) What exactly is a Regtemp and is it different then a Seasonal driver who's last day is Dec. 31st? and 3.) What day can i view my paycheck from this week on UPSERS? i see my first three, but wanted to check on the hours i worked this week. Thanks and feel free to flame away, My first post as a UPSer lol

YoshiGreen

That's why I wait until we stop at a business and I'll use a proper restroom. I'm not going to toss my whizz on the side of the street.

You've Got Mail

You must not be drinking anything, like most drivers I've helped. I seem to be the only one getting properly hydrated throughout the day. When you only hit resi's, it saves time to pee in a bottle than park at some restaurant. Besides, not everyone has the same great bladder as you.

Would you say your ancestors who peed outside wherever and whenever they pleased weren't grownups? Think before you speak. The whole world is a bathroom.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am 53 so my bladder is not nearly what it used to be. I also drink 2 bottles of water during the day. I will time my restroom breaks for commercial stops with public facilities. I have also had country runs and have peed on more than my share of trees.

YoshiGreen

I am 53 so my bladder is not nearly what it used to be. I also drink 2 bottles of water during the day. I will time my restroom breaks for commercial stops with public facilities. I have also had country runs and have peed on more than my share of trees.

I mean I can understand going behind a tree if it's rural, I probably would too but if it's heavily resi like the routes I been on I'm to afraid someone will see me spilling the pee out on the street knowing my luck.

Needle Ran

Don't get complacent because everyone's treating like you made it already. If you're numbers are slipping before you hit book, they'll drop you like a bad habit.

Never apply during the summer or after peak. They'll consider you as expenable and they appear to be way more picky with new hires then.

And an important one: If you get injured near the end of the sort, unless it's serious or it's clearly visable, DO NOT report it otherwise they'll just think you're just lazy and fire you.

That just happened to a guy on my dock a few weeks ago.

stortiz1

Hello, I was hired as a seasonal driver 2 weeks ago. It was sort of by accident because I had applied originally for a driver helper... was interviewed and accepted but when I showed up for driver helper orientation, they did not have me on the roster. I was sent away however an hour later was called concerning a seasonal driver gig. I was rather HAPPY about that because of the pay and the fact that it was more responsibility.

Having said that, I have since then gained much knowledge on the beneficial aspect of being a UPser. I am really motivated to make this my career. I've been in healthcare for over 14 years.

My UPS center is smaller than a metropolitan center. They typically run 35 trucks in normal peak and this year the peak has them running about 48 trucks. I was the last hire for the peak season. So I am the low man on the totem pole. I don't even have a route yet. I have been doing post office runs and meeting drivers with bulk load.

So here is my question/s I guess... If I have committed myself to take this career path and willing to do the time waiting by finding another job or taking a pre-loader job, etc... How do I begin the process of looking for a different job at UPS in the meantime? Will I have to re-apply after the season? Will my pay be dramatically different? (These questions are based on a person that is crash free after 30 days, busts their ass for 6 weeks, and is able to pick up the plethora of variables involved as a UPS driver quickly.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Joey808

Hi, I'm new to browncafe. I got hired as a seasonal small sorter on Dec 10 and was wondering when seasonal work ends? I'm not sure if it ends on Christmas Eve Or Christmas Day. I don't really like working here, but I want to get my paycheck and leave on a good note.

Has anyone ever done seasonal work at UPS during the holiday season and knew when their last day was?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hi, I'm new to browncafe. I got hired as a seasonal small sorter on Dec 10 and was wondering when seasonal work ends? I'm not sure if it ends on Christmas Eve Or Christmas Day. I don't really like working here, but I want to get my paycheck and leave on a good note.

Depends on the volume at your center but usually your employment will end when you punch out on 12/24.

Hi everyone, I recently applied to a hub in Vernon, CA for night shift package handler. It was very odd, my appointment was a day before christmas eve (december 23). The HR representative said there was suppose to be 5 people, but only 2 showed up (Me and another dude). He gave us a rundown of how UPS works and what they expect ect. He interviewed me first which I feel went really good, Im going to college so he said that's a super plus. Anyway, I asked him for a number or email I can reach him at, but he refused to give me either one and said he will reach out to me. It's been like 4 days and im struggling to get a job, should I be worried? This hub is impossible to get anyone to answer the phone..

Sorry for this post, I read the first page but Im just seeking some help

Jahrose

I recently was hired in late Oct as a loader in OC. I went through interview, background etc. I have been working since then and did 50 hours last week at peak. Friday I went to work and my supervisor said he will call us if they need us. Both me and my coworker were confused. We were hired as a permanant employee and i have paid the union dues and the init fee on my checks. We are not seasonal employees. I thought we were guarenteed 3.5 hours a day which is perfect as i am attending college in the AM. I looked up the UPS Master Agreement and it states section 5 article 22 that part timers are guarenteed 3.5 hours a day for 5 days. I dont know what to do now, should I contact the union. That would not be right to hire somebody and get their hopes up then just say we will call you.-Thank You