hondo

promoted to mediocrity
My husband did an interview with UPS. The position was for "seasonal driver." Since the interview the category on my husband's application has changed to "casual driver." Any idea why this is? Also, he received a union card when he left a former
In some regions, the union and company have agreed to "casual" drivers year-round, as opposed to "seasonal" drivers which are only to be used in a specific calendar period. There is good/bad to both ways.

If he already was a Teamster, he probably won't need to pay another initiation fee (or perhaps will be credited with what he's already paid. This is separate/different from the monthly dues. If he does get hired, contact the Local Union's Dues Department for more information.

kiki0523

In some regions, the union and company have agreed to "casual" drivers year-round, as opposed to "seasonal" drivers which are only to be used in a specific calendar period. There is good/bad to both ways.

If he already was a Teamster, he probably won't need to pay another initiation fee (or perhaps will be credited with what he's already paid. This is separate/different from the monthly dues. If he does get hired, contact the Local Union's Dues Department for more information.

Thank you so much for your info.

Can someone tell me what kind of shoes to wear for a preloader job? Are boots required? I go in for paperwork tomorrow so I can ask then but I was hoping to get a head start on what to look for. Are non slip new balance shoes okay?

AutoZone

BrownPower
So would something like this be overboard?
Well I can't get the link to work but they're black wolverine non steel toe leather boots.
Just go to walmart and get the black workforce shoes. They're steel toe and comfy.. $30.. can't beat em.. if you find they're hurting your feet, just get a nice pair of all black leather shoes.

Jondlc

Will I ever work a full week? I'm 2 months in. No idea if I'm a peak driver or not (i applied for a full time position and was told in orientation that I'm a full time , but I don't know what to believe ) , I'm still doing split routes but now they dump me over 200 stops, I'm scratching . . But I haven't worked a Monday since I started, I work every other Friday and today I was sent home. I'm financially devastated and Fcked to the D. I left my other job because I needed more money and I'm making even less money now. When will I ever work a full week if ever?

When should I expect it to get better ? I want to ask around the new guys at the others centers to know how much they are working and possibly ask if I could get transfered to those centers after peak if those centers are better than mine.

Jondlc

To explain more about today, I got there really early as I always do to set up the truck. I saw that my truck was there but my load was different than what I normally do. It was the area that another new driver normally delivers. I saw that driver and he said that he might be doing my route, his truck wasn't there and im on the schedule for mine, but since his area is on my truck he thinks hes doing it. I asked the supervisor and he told me to hold on. Then the driver says that hes pretty sure hes doing it even tho im on the schedule, but to grab the board cus hes gonna let me do it. The supervisor heard that and told me to grab the board and go. I set up the truck and 30m later supervisor texts me and tells me to go to the office. He apologized and told me that im not working today. Then I saw the driver again and he said hes not going it. I left so I don't know if hes doing it or not but why would he be there after PCM if hes not going anything? IIm sure he ended up doing it.

TableWren

I was just hired as a Preloader and I feel like i'm an idiot. I went in for my first day and it seemed like they wanted me to know everything right away. I struggled to memorize which shelves were which numbers, I struggled to fit packages into the car once it started getting full, I struggled to keep up with the belt, I struggled to grab multiple packages at once, I struggled to keep up with filling two trucks at once. I started stacking packages outside the trucks because I absolutely could not keep up and I was told I couldn't do that. I've been told by multiple people outside of the job that this was simply my first day and that it would only get easier (and I would get faster) as I learned the job, but I felt as if my employers wanted me to be fast and know the job right away. Is this normal for a Preloader? Am I in over my head? I'm starting to feel like I made a grave mistake in taking this job.

AutoZone

BrownPower
To explain more about today, I got there really early as I always do to set up the truck. I saw that my truck was there but my load was different than what I normally do. It was the area that another new driver normally delivers. I saw that driver and he said that he might be doing my route, his truck wasn't there and im on the schedule for mine, but since his area is on my truck he thinks hes doing it. I asked the supervisor and he told me to hold on. Then the driver says that hes pretty sure hes doing it even tho im on the schedule, but to grab the board cus hes gonna let me do it. The supervisor heard that and told me to grab the board and go. I set up the truck and 30m later supervisor texts me and tells me to go to the office. He apologized and told me that im not working today. Then I saw the driver again and he said hes not going it. I left so I don't know if hes doing it or not but why would he be there after PCM if hes not going anything? IIm sure he ended up doing it.
First off, you need to verify your job.. full or cover... If full, and you were told to report, I believe(could be wrong) you are to be paid. If cover, it's tough kittens.. still make sure you report even if you go home.. if you report 5 days, and only work 3, work that Saturday, and it's all OT.. it'll make up some of the difference you're missing. But def find out your job.