Mr. Sir

Box slinger
Just got back from the tour, ya know...same old stating thats its only a seasonal position 50 times and tricking people into thinking that there is a $15/hr FT position there when it was really ONLY for during peak. lol

Trufus

I've been through the interview and orientation for Seasonal Driver Helper, and I actually start tomorrow (Monday).
Admittedly, I am very scared. Everyone I've talked to about the position has warned me about how vigorous the position is and how fast I have to be for many hours at a time. All the talk is intimidating.
Now, I'm a big guy (22 yrs old, 200 lbs), but it's honestly not a lot of muscle. I'm not hugely obese or anything, but I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so. I'm not so sure I'll be able to do this job efficiently without actually being slower than the driver would be on their own.
Should I just figure out how to quit and do it before I start? I'm not looking to get a permanent position in January. I just wanted to do this as something to put on a resume and make some pocket cash, but if I'm bad at the job anyway...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I've been through the interview and orientation for Seasonal Driver Helper, and I actually start tomorrow (Monday).
Admittedly, I am very scared. Everyone I've talked to about the position has warned me about how vigorous the position is and how fast I have to be for many hours at a time. All the talk is intimidating.
Now, I'm a big guy (22 yrs old, 200 lbs), but it's honestly not a lot of muscle. I'm not hugely obese or anything, but I could stand to lose 20 pounds or so. I'm not so sure I'll be able to do this job efficiently without actually being slower than the driver would be on their own.
Should I just figure out how to quit and do it before I start? I'm not looking to get a permanent position in January. I just wanted to do this as something to put on a resume and make some pocket cash, but if I'm bad at the job anyway...
Try it for 3 days.

Remmy87

I'm a seasonal driver helper. Is this good? 81 deliveries which had over 150 packages. My route is spaced out so it's not house to house deliveries for the most part. I started at 11:30 AM and finished at 5:30 PM in a golf cart. I had to return to the storage center 3 times. My delivery driver said he told the guys at the facility I am really good.

AutoZone

BrownPower
I'm a seasonal driver helper. Is this good? 81 deliveries which had over 150 packages. My route is spaced out so it's not house to house deliveries for the most part. I started at 11:30 AM and finished at 5:30 PM in a golf cart. I had to return to the storage center 3 times. My delivery driver said he told the guys at the facility I am really good.
Then you're probably good... Take the word of the guy you're helping... I do 190 stops 280 packages on average.. takes me about 10 1/2 on average.. have been doing more lately obviously...

Trufus

Well, as a Driver Helper, I wasn't called yet today. But part of me wonders if it's because I don't have my uniform jacket yet. Does anyone know how/when I'll be getting it? During the interview, I gave my measurements, but I don't remember being told anything past that.

Remmy87

Yeah, BrownJake. That sounds like you'll be getting a call in January for permanent rehire after they deactivate your seasonal contract.

Replying a bit late, but eh.

I've been doing it for about two weeks now, so far it's not that bad. You don't really have to be strong to be a helper, just not weak. Most packages aren't that heavy, and the ones that are, you don't have to rush to get them to the door. It's more about muscle endurance, especially when receiving stacks of packages from a business. (Well that, and handling the impatience of your driver when you take 'too long' to fill out non-deliveries and such.)

The worst part is that it is quite hard on the body, especially the knees and feet. Make sure you've got some decent soles / insoles for your footwear, and take it easy going up and down the steps of the package car. A little care goes a long way, especially if you're carrying a few extra pounds on your frame. You've gotta do a three-point entry when getting out and coming in, so make use of it and put some weight onto the hand rail, distribute the force.

To a lesser extent it's also a bit rough on your knuckles, as you'll be knocking on a lot of doors. And you'll get some scraps and bruises that you'll pick up as a matter of course, the usual stuff that comes with hours of manual labor.

I joined for the same reason, extra job history and some pocket money. The latter hadn't happened yet, it's a two week delay between doing work and being paid so I'm still in the red due to gas expense, but I should be in the black soon. On the plus side, you get paid for the orientation, which I was surprised to find out.

Well, as a Driver Helper, I wasn't called yet today. But part of me wonders if it's because I don't have my uniform jacket yet. Does anyone know how/when I'll be getting it? During the interview, I gave my measurements, but I don't remember being told anything past that.

Were your measurements just a single size (Large, XXL)? I think most driver helpers aren't getting uniforms this year. Instead the driver gives you a vest that you give back at the end of the day.

Replying a bit late, but eh.

I've been doing it for about two weeks now, so far it's not that bad. You don't really have to be strong to be a helper, just not weak. Most packages aren't that heavy, and the ones that are, you don't have to rush to get them to the door. It's more about muscle endurance, especially when receiving stacks of packages from a business. (Well that, and handling the impatience of your driver when you take 'too long' to fill out non-deliveries and such.)

The worst part is that it is quite hard on the body, especially the knees and feet. Make sure you've got some decent soles / insoles for your footwear, and take it easy going up and down the steps of the package car. A little care goes a long way, especially if you're carrying a few extra pounds on your frame. You've gotta do a three-point entry when getting out and coming in, so make use of it and put some weight onto the hand rail, distribute the force.

To a lesser extent it's also a bit rough on your knuckles, as you'll be knocking on a lot of doors. And you'll get some scraps and bruises that you'll pick up as a matter of course, the usual stuff that comes with hours of manual labor.

I joined for the same reason, extra job history and some pocket money. The latter hadn't happened yet, it's a two week delay between doing work and being paid so I'm still in the red due to gas expense, but I should be in the black soon. On the plus side, you get paid for the orientation, which I was surprised to find out.

Were your measurements just a single size (Large, XXL)? I think most driver helpers aren't getting uniforms this year. Instead the driver gives you a vest that you give back at the end of the day.
Wear gloves and knock with the palm of your hand, not with your knuckles.