HardknocksUPSer

I recently was hired in late Oct as a loader in OC. I went through interview, background etc. I have been working since then and did 50 hours last week at peak. Friday I went to work and my supervisor said he will call us if they need us. Both me and my coworker were confused. We were hired as a permanant employee and i have paid the union dues and the init fee on my checks. We are not seasonal employees. I thought we were guarenteed 3.5 hours a day which is perfect as i am attending college in the AM. I looked up the UPS Master Agreement and it states section 5 article 22 that part timers are guarenteed 3.5 hours a day for 5 days. I dont know what to do now, should I contact the union. That would not be right to hire somebody and get their hopes up then just say we will call you.-Thank You
Tell your sup straight up you need your 3.5 assuming the volume is high enough to work.

Jahrose

He told both of us the volume was low after the peak but what I am asking if they hire you as a permanent part time employee according to the union master agreement section 5, article 22 that they must give you 3.5 hours a week, doesn't matter about the volume. The job posting said 3.5 hours a day, I would of not taken it if it was not a steady job. I took this as a regular part time job and I need the money for school. Should I call the union?

HardknocksUPSer

It's like this, did the drivers come in at a usual time or did they come In later than normal? If they came in late they most likely didn't recieve their full guaranteed 8hrs, from what I understand the day after Christmas is always super dead due to most business stops being closed, I myself work preload and didn't have to go into till 6am on Friday and only worked 2hrs because volume was low, if I understand everything right (not saying I do) I believe your guaranteed your 3.5hrs every day with a few exceptions like the day after Christmas. If there were other part time employees that received their 3.5hrs and you didn't it was probably because they had more seniority than you. Seniority rules no matter what. If the drivers didn't get their full 8hrs then volume was low which directly impacts FT & PT employees. I mean work can't be done if there is no work to do. Don't call anyone yet. Just wait and see how it plays out. If it continues then take action. Otherwise ask a sup and have him explain to you why you didn't get your hr's his/hers anwser will probably be volume. Hope that helps.

hegel

I started working at UPS as a part-time package handler on August 19. Today I received a phone call from my full time supervisor saying they have to let me go. However, during the four months working at UPS, I was also attending college full time. This qualifies tuition reimbursement that links to UPS as a benefit to attract more college workers. In fact, I have been approved for the payment by EDCOR. The problem is it takes some time for the electronic wiring feed to arrive at UPS before they can deposit it to me. According to the EDCOR policy, the part time worker has to be in an active status at UPS from the beginning, to the end of the school term, and by the time the payment is made. I am wondering if it is legal for the UPS to lay me off right before I can receive my paycheck. thank you. Hegel

Needle Ran

I started working at UPS as a part-time package handler on August 19. Today I received a phone call from my full time supervisor saying they have to let me go. However, during the four months working at UPS, I was also attending college full time. This qualifies tuition reimbursement that links to UPS as a benefit to attract more college workers. In fact, I have been approved for the payment by EDCOR. The problem is it takes some time for the electronic wiring feed to arrive at UPS before they can deposit it to me. According to the EDCOR policy, the part time worker has to be in an active status at UPS from the beginning, to the end of the school term, and by the time the payment is made. I am wondering if it is legal for the UPS to lay me off right before I can receive my paycheck. thank you. Hegel
Illegal? Nope. Unethical? Probably.

I mean everyone knows the TAP program was just implemented to lure in young bodies to to ruin...

But seriously, if you need the payment to clear that much, I suggest you contact you Union rep and try getting your job back.

It's your only hope.

capers8

I worked as a Helper during peak, last day was Christmas Eve. I'm trying to apply for a Package Handler job on upsjobs.com but it says I'm still a current employee and need to use upsers.com. When I try to log in to my applications there it asks for my UPS Active Directory ID, which I don't think I have (or know how to get). Are we all supposed to be fired January 15th? Should I just wait til then to apply?

T

Turdferguson

I worked as a Helper during peak, last day was Christmas Eve. I'm trying to apply for a Package Handler job on upsjobs.com but it says I'm still a current employee and need to use upsers.com. When I try to log in to my applications there it asks for my UPS Active Directory ID, which I don't think I have (or know how to get). Are we all supposed to be fired January 15th? Should I just wait til then to apply?
You can wait, or go out to the H.R office and talk to them about it . That is what they are there for and why they collect their paychecks. Go in person don't try to call if you truly want to start the process of getting hired

Last edited by a moderator:

specter208

You can wait, or go out to the H.R office and talk to them about it . That is what they are there for and why they collect their paychecks. Go in person don't try to call if you truly want to start the process of getting hired
Check on your paycheck stub for your employee ID. First time log-ins to UPSers use the employee ID and the first two letters of your last name followed by the last two digits of your ID and the last two digits of your birth year.

Example:

Name: John Smith
Born: 1/1/80
Employee ID: 4123456
Password: sm5680

TyDye

I was hired in early November as a pre-loader on the night shift. Once peak season was over, I became an unloader in the hopes that I could get a position in the sort aisle as quickly as possible. Luckily it didn't take long, and now I'm making better money than I did at my last job. My new supervisor even said he would recommend me for a supervisor position once my first 90 days are up.

I know that I'd like the experience and the extra pay, though I hear it's a stressful position. My biggest problem, however, is that I'd like to go back to school next fall, and I don't think I'll be able to hold down a full time job while attempting my first college quarter. I really like working for UPS as a whole, and I take pride in the effort I actually put into making sure packages get delivered. The physical workout is is a definite bonus! But, alas, I know that I don't want to be handling big, brown packages or dirty, wet little boxes all of my life. I also know that the company will pay for quite a bit of schooling, but I'm not sure how I would set all of that up. If I wanted to stop working at UPS full time, would I still be able to retain the tuition and the ability to come back to work full time, come summertime? My college's city has a UPS facility as well, and it just so happens to be closer to my future place of residence than my current one. If I chose to only take one or two classes, and found that I could manage working full time as well (even if it means working twilight instead of night), would I be able to get easily re-hired at the new hub, or is it a "gone for good, smell ya later" kind of thing?

There's probably other threads on this topic I could try to hunt down and sift through, but if someone could briefly explain how the school funding and re-hiring process work, or who I should talk to about this sort of thing, I would very much appreciate it. I'm not used to being in a union and don't exactly know if that's what H.R. is for or not, but that would be my first thought.

FiXiE.GuRL

H.R. = HUMAN RESOURCES = RESOURCES FOR HUMANS

U need to be active part time union or active part time supervisor to be eligible for earn n learn. You leave UPS u don't get tuition reimbursement. Simple!!

TyDye

Thought that might be the case, thanks for clearing that up. Well, I'll just try to get that Sup position for now so I can slap that on my resume. The tuition reimbursement isn't vital, just very helpful. I suppose my chances at getting re-hired wouldn't be all that bad if I decided I could handle the part time job and full time schooling. I'm not sure, though, if there's some sort of policy barring me from being hired again, should I choose to leave UPS. Worst case scenario, I'm looking for a different part time job.

New hires have it bad, hell I got hired back in late 2013 and I just recently got my benefits. It's not worth it anymore. You get paid in peanuts basically, and your body will hurt all the time in less than a year. And you will be waiting forever to go full time. Honestly this job is not worth it. The teamsters are crumbling. Ups in the end will have it's way. I mean to wait a year to get a raise/benefits the whole deal is a ripoff and three and a half hour guarantee? Give me a break. Why can't it be four hours?

Shep92

New hires have it bad, hell I got hired back in late 2013 and I just recently got my benefits. It's not worth it anymore. You get paid in peanuts basically, and your body will hurt all the time in less than a year. And you will be waiting forever to go full time. Honestly this job is not worth it. The teamsters are crumbling. Ups in the end will have it's way. I mean to wait a year to get a raise/benefits the whole deal is a ripoff and three and a half hour guarantee? Give me a break. Why can't it be four hours?
Can you think of a place where you can work part time AND receive full time benefits? Please inform me of such a place. I felt the same way when I got hired. Yea I hate loading but I do it because I need the money. My main problem I feel I get underpaid for the amount of work I do, but we have all felt that way at some point and we do it anyways. It's better than cleaning toilets or flipping burgers.

Edd

I am going to try to compile a faq page for all new hires.

New UPSers, feel free to post your questions here in this thread if you haven't found your answer elsewhere.
Started in october, worked two weeks as a loader then went p/t supervisor, now 4 months later I get a letter from teamsters local stating I need to forward them $312 for my "suspended status", any knowledge about this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Started in october, worked two weeks as a loader then went p/t supervisor, now 4 months later I get a letter from teamsters local stating I need to forward them $312 for my "suspended status", any knowledge about this?

It means you were in the process of paying union initiation fees and failed to request a withdrawal card prior to going in to management.

Contact your union hall, let them know what happened and request a waiver of the balance due.

Edd

G
It means you were in the process of paying union initiation fees and failed to request a withdrawal card prior to going in to management.

Contact your union hall, let them know what happened and request a waiver of the balance due.
Thank you, greatly appreciated.