For all new members, a help page

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
This thread is a great idea. I'll put together some info about how to use the forum and add it here.

helenofcalifornia

Yeah, welcome to the Brown Cafe where you can get into arguments about the most stupid stuff. Lifer is right. Each center enforces there own version of the UPS guidelines. Our center was cool on tennis shoes, then started enforcing the more sturdy shoe. (especially on preload) In the long run, probably a better decision. Wait until you drop your first irreg on your toes!! But, I wear Nikes for driving because they are light and hella comfortable. So, I vote for the more sturdy shoe for parttime work and Nikes for driving. Yeah, I know, "do as I say, not as I do."

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
My hub has a zero tolerance policy on proper footwear every year right after peak season. This gives them a reason to send employees home when they are over staffed.

UPS Lifer

My hub has a zero tolerance policy on proper footwear every year right after peak season. This gives them a reason to send employees home when they are over staffed.

This is when mgmt get into problems and why mgmt rep suffers.

Equally and fairly is just what it means!!

I had my Compliance supervisor walk around looking for violations in case a "blind" supervisor was not equal or fair. The Compliance supv was trained by me to look for these violations so that everyone was treated the same.

None of this is rocket science. If you communicate with the BA and shop stewards in a formal meeting every week and get the issues and solutions on the table you work together to fix problems or potential problems. I also would meet with them informally two to three more times a week.

Sorry - I feel like I am hyjacking this thread! I will stop now... My apologies!

upsgrunt

I will stop also. My main point is that Iggy doesn't even START to work at UPS until the 8th and he is all gung ho about giving out advice about a job he hasn't done except for comparing preloading to washing dishes and washing cars. That is what rifled me.
Again, sorry

newworker

It is a good idea, but why did it turn into a 30 post argument between iggy and upsgrunt over shoes?

maybe because the old fogeys on this forum don't think they need new blood here

I'm relatively new here and I posted some relevant facts and opinions to this forum last weekend only to be attacked by the status quo ("click")

I credit the the management of this forum that I am still here and
I am willing willing to continue to spread my pearls of wisdom as long as I'm allowed to.:peaceful:

Last edited:

upsgrunt

I'm relatively new here and I posted some relevant facts and opinions to this forum last weekend only to be attacked by the status quo ("click")

I am willing willing to continue to spread my pearls of wisdom as long as I'm allowed to.:peaceful:

Old fogeys huh? Just remember when you fall off your high horse who you will be asking advice from. It's the lack of respect from younger people today that lights my fire. If you have a different viewpoint, that's one thing, and I'd love to hear it, but to scoff at our experience because you think we're old-God save us.

DS

Fenderbender
newworker,nothing could be farther from the truth,us old farts love to keep in touch with todays youth.The fact is it doesn't matter if you're 18 or 58,its pull your weight or theres the gate.Working at ups is not rocket science,we simply move packages,no matter what you do its been done at ups for 100 years,albeit somewhat technologically advanced since then.
You got us bent bro',we dont run like dat.

satellitedriver

What a laugh.
You downcast the old fogeys and then thank the management?
The management is made up of old fogeys and being a sycophant isn't going to help you stay here.
(Sorry, Cheryl and Tony.)
Your transfusion of "new blood" is welcome, but, as with all blood types, they must be compatible with the recipient.
The lab results I have seen from your posts do not confirm that you are a universal donor.
A quick cut and paste:
"Before a blood transfusion, small samples of the recipient's and donor's blood are mixed to check compatibility. Doctors refer to this as crossmatching. Despite all such precautions, adverse transfusion reactions may still occur."
We are not swine, so cast your pearls where they have value.

bellesotico

BOXstar

Newworker- How jr high can you get? I mean really..throw out an insult.."old fogeys"..lol..and then whine about getting "attacked by the status quo ("click")" Oh please.

Mods please lock thread. This is not showing the possible new employees anything positive.

I know you're trying to be helpful and nice.... But when I read this and some of your other posts, you come off so..I dont know the word. It's annoying though.

P.S. You are one of those possible new employees, haven't made your 30 yet.

W

westsideworma

im just passing on what i was told.

tank tops are not allowed? I know several workers in my building that are violating that one....it gets hot in here, what can you do? Wonder if thats a regional or new thing because I never saw that when I was hired as a loader (the tanktop one I mean).

W

westsideworma

Re: For all new upsers, a help page

Come on guys lets not try and chase iggyiam out of here, he had a really good idea regardless of what you think of his posts. If I had joined this site before I first started I'd have been ahead of the game I think. I had NO idea what I was getting into. I think that's what iggy was trying to do with this thread and I for one think it was a noble idea by someone who seemingly really wants to be a UPSer.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Re: For all new upsers, a help page

Come on guys lets not try and chase iggyiam out of here, he had a really good idea regardless of what you think of his posts. If I had joined this site before I first started I'd have been ahead of the game I think. I had NO idea what I was getting into. I think that's what iggy was trying to do with this thread and I for one think it was a noble idea by someone who seemingly really wants to be a UPSer.

Agreed