For all of you new drivers............

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Several people 30 minutes to A/C a package? I really want to work in your center. It really is the BOG. Sounds to me like you guys are milking the company dry.

The 30 minutes I was referring to was the elapsed time between the initial phone call to the 1-800#, the DCR sent to the center and the ODS sent to the driver with the updated address.

Last week I had a package for the Athletic Director of our local SUNY school. For some reason it was sent to his old address and the area where he currently lives was cut from my route that day. Now, I could have done one of two things-----I could have brought the package back and had it address corrected or I could have done the ADC in the DIAD and delivered the package even though I did not have that section but did have to drive by it. I chose to do the right thing and delivered the package.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The 30 minutes I was referring to was the elapsed time between the initial phone call to the 1-800#, the DCR sent to the center and the ODS sent to the driver with the updated address.

Last week I had a package for the Athletic Director of our local SUNY school. For some reason it was sent to his old address and the area where he currently lives was cut from my route that day. Now, I could have done one of two things-----I could have brought the package back and had it address corrected or I could have done the ADC in the DIAD and delivered the package even though I did not have that section but did have to drive by it. I chose to do the right thing and delivered the package.
You forgot the third option...you could've gotten hit by a car!

oldngray

nowhere special
How about, half of the peace sign
signal_around.JPG

He's #1?

Johney

Nice save........sorta.

OPTION3

SmileyKissUp.gif

'Lord Brown's bidding'

So rather than take 30 seconds now you would rather several people spend up to 30 minutes to get the address updated later?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Again, I don't get an allowance for that. I hate for it to sound like a cop out, but in this instance there is a system in place that works pretty well for the customer.

I have made calls before, and even went and looked in peoples' mailboxes to try and establish the correct apt (I will admit, doing that makes me feel uneasy, but provided I am not shot before being asked what I am doing, I know I'll be ok, and in all likelihood they'll be grateful, much like people catching me messing around with their trash cans while I look for a place to hide their packages).

'Lord Brown's bidding'

That's a different situation, and I've done that before as well. If I know who the consignee is, no, I do not return it to the building to be corrected; I don't even put it in as "address corrected" in the board. Knock, drop, and roll!

The packages I am talking about I have no idea who the consignee is. And when I do find out, it is the last time they'll have to go through that....provided I remember them the next time. And I always tell them to make sure they add the info next time, if I catch them in person.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Again, I don't get an allowance for that. I hate for it to sound like a cop out, but in this instance there is a system in place that works pretty well for the customer.

I have made calls before, and even went and looked in peoples' mailboxes to try and establish the correct apt (I will admit, doing that makes me feel uneasy, but provided I am not shot before being asked what I am doing, I know I'll be ok, and in all likelihood they'll be grateful, much like people catching me messing around with their trash cans while I look for a place to hide their packages).

I did the address correction both for the revenue and to let the shipper know so they could update their database.

As for the time allowance----do you really need to get credit for doing the right thing, if possible?

I deliver to a lot of college students who are not really good about using their apartment numbers. Thankfully the mailman makes them list all of the occupants on their mailbox and I am able to ADC and deliver their package(s).

I had a DFU this past Peak that I knew I had delivered. Turns out the upstairs neighbor had stolen the package. Thieves aren't normally very bright----they had left the empty box and packing material in the pile of trash on their porch. We handed that over to the local police and let them take it from there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's irrelevant where I stop complete the packages, seeing as how the address is undeliverable. In addition, WHEN (not IF) asked to explain what I've done and why, the most I am told is, "Be careful", if anything.

Actually it is very relevant when they ask how you knew the address was wrong and what steps you took to find the right address when you were nowhere near the delivery location.

AKupser

Ice Queen (Elsa)
i can afford to call out though since this particular contractor can be flexible...

when the weather gets icy, i'm not going to be out there 5-6 stops per hour & risk my license for the guy. he'll call in the temp reserves & let 'em have at it... (why i liked hot weather over this past winter polar vortex that we had)...

i worked during one saturday during a hurricane over the summer... i didn't care since i was the only one out there still delivering after mid-day, when UPS and USPS called it quits :P my stops per on road hour didn't suffer & had my duck boots & backup water shoes on hand..
vs
sliding around on ice during this past winter. slipping on those winter cleats over my shoes kinda sucked, but kept me from falling on my butt
Wow 5 to 6 stops per hour? I do 12 to 15 per hour everyday, including winter in Alaska!

BrownTexas

Other than this, I don't care what the customer is doing. I will wait. It is not worth the stress.

Wait?!? If they are "to busy" I will NR1 the package and maybe they will be ready tomorrow when I come back. Eventually they will stop what they are doing and take the 4 seconds it takes to sign their name.

Last edited:

BrownTexas

There could very easily be two separate threads where bid drivers bitch about unassigned drivers and vice versa. As an unassigned driver my biggest beef with the bid drivers is how some of them do things they know they aren't supposed to (for example entering a customer's house for whatever reason) but because customers "are used to them" the unassigned drivers are viewed as the lazy incompetent back up driver when we don't mirror the bid driver's behavior.

Another beef is having to cover for those bid drivers that have been on the same route for a decade or more and have been speeding, running, skipping lunch, NI apartments instead of taking them to the office, signing for customers, etc., the entire time they've been on the route. Those routes have lost more and more time allowances over the decade or so the bid driver has been on them so when drivers that follow the methods fill in we end up with an over dispatched route (in reality) but are expected to bust them out like the bid driver does. It would be funny listening to these guys whine about their routes getting more and more work added if I wasn't one of the poor bastards that has to cover for them when they are out.

On the other hand I absolutely love filling in for bid drivers that have been on a route for a long time and have been following the methods the whole time. Easy money.

Covered a route all last week. Everyday they had to take 2 hours of pickups off. Normal driver runs his butt off and skips his lunch. Even delivers a none air stop first everyday. I told every stop "be sure to thank your driver for being a hero." I'm gonna do things right.

Packmule

that might start out just flat out not caring about customer service. I have a story for you that might just change your mind. One of the drivers that I work with has been on her route for 12 or 15 years so she knows all of her customers very well. One of her customers passed away recently, an elderly woman that lived with her husband in a assisted living community. Most of you are thinking, well that happens. Part of life is death. Right. In the words of the immortal Paul Harvey, "Here's the rest of the story.".

Recently she was on vacation and a cover driver that we have nicknamed No Such Nolan was covering her route. Well our illustrious NS Nolan NSN'd this elderly womans meds. He couldn't be bothered to get out of the truck and go look for the condo number. I have delivered to this area many many times and it is pretty straight forward and easy to figure out. All duplexes and all single story. All it takes is a little initiative. But he couldn't be bothered. The elderly woman passes away a couple of days later.

Now before a ya'll start jumping on the bandwagon, sayin it ain't UPS's fault, that's not where I am going with this. We simply don't know. But, the regular driver, coming back from her vacation saw the husband and he was inconsolable. He couldn't understand why his wifes meds were not delivered. He was heart broke over her loss and the regular driver could do nothing or say nothing that would make him feel any better. She was heart broke for his loss.

The question begs to be asked.............................. was her death a direct or indirect result of the lack of caring for a customers needs?

You cover drivers out there don't understand (and won't until you get your own route) that we become attached to our customers in a fundamental way. We connect with them because we see them daily. We learn their lives through years and years of service to them. And what you do on our routes affects us directly. We have to go clean up your messes. We have to do the DFU's that your create and we have to apologize to angry customers that you piss off.

The next time you fling that package, the next time you NS something, the next time you piss off a customer because you are in a hurry just remember this...........................

KARMA SUCKS!!
Some of what you say is true, but I don't agreecwith the mail order med issue. If a customer is cutting it that close on life or death meds, they should be receiving them normally while they still have several days in reserve. Way too many things can happen before that package ever reaches the driver's truck that delays it. Get em early, or get em at your local pharmacy, but don't lay a guilt trip like this on any driver, especially not one that may be half lost, overloaded, and way behind.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Covered a route all last week. Everyday they had to take 2 hours of pickups off. Normal driver runs his butt off and skips his lunch. Even delivers a none air stop first everyday. I told every stop "be sure to thank your driver for being a hero." I'm gonna do things right.
I cover some routes that current driver does that that customers try to tell me " regular guy is here by noon" here it all the time , thing is ,I have covered these routes for years ,even before bid driver even was "the regular guy"lmao. Running your ass off gets you nowhere. Slow down. Do the job right.go home ,have a beer and do it again tomorrow. Goodnight