for all the helpers....................

Ideliver

Well, my driver does not want me to look at the diad and call out the street for him. That is HIS job, not mine. Plus it's loud in there, I would be screaming and lose my voice by 11:00am.

Call out the HIN #? Again, that's almost calling the driver a maroon for telling him how to do his job. Not everyone knows what a HIN number is or even cares. I do, but that is because I ask a ***** load of questions.

My driver likes the ding-dong-ditch method. Box already next to me, scan/stop complete in PC, go to door, put package down, knock/ring, turn and take off like a bat out of hell. I'm usually back in PC before they can open door. It's all about staying under the radar.

I hold on to my diad as I'm going to do the same as I did on previous.

Not all drivers have time to "teach" every aspect of the diad and prefer us helpers to do the running. You sound like me and like to learn and understand things work. I know you're trying to help, but your superhero cape got stuck in the bulkhead door I think. My point is, let your driver direct you.

Would that be the same driver not concerned with your safety and smacking u in the arse? There is nothing superhero about it I was just providing my opinion . It's pushing cardboard with an iphone not rocket surgery.

Ideliver

I fixed it for you

The drive is responsible for everything included you. You are responsible for following directions and not getting hurt if you get hurt your will not be working for UPS in any capacity in the future.

thank u for stating the obvious. I work as directed and am not sure y u need to mention getting hurt. Was there a post I made that lead u to believe I am reckless?

LadyinRed

As a second year helper my Driver and I have it down to a science. I take one package to the door, set it down in a good hidden from street spot, get my bum back to the vehicle and in it, all the while he is grabbing and scanning the next package and putting it in an easily accessible location for me, if its a small package I will often hold onto it between stops. I keep an eye on the DIAD to make sure its not lit up with a signature required screen and if it is I grab it before I run the package. Most of our stops take 22-26 seconds according to my timer. I'm usually putting on my seat belt almost within a second of two of my driver. Sometimes a tid bit sooner than him or after but most of the times its a close race.

My Driver is awesome. Last years Driver was awesome. Need I say more on that?

Last year my Driver taught me some things, Using the DIAD and whatnot. This year my driver has taught me even more so I can be useful helping with the packages when the shuttle brings us another truck load. I only wish I had known how to sort packages sooner so I would have been better with helping with it when he first started getting the shuttle brought out to him.

I have read a number of posts against the helpers on here and wow, it kinda makes me just laugh.. Yes some of the helpers over complicate things. We are seasonal. for me its from the 1st of Nov to the end of Dec which is longer than some.. I was called to see if I wanted the job again this year in fact. I know some of the helpers don't quite make the cut but hell, Its not easy work, It could be a lot harder.. I love this job. It might be seasonal but I enjoy it. Everyone I have met, be it supervisors or drivers have been nice and I've seen great teamwork between them. They all seem to know each other even if some of them don't know each other too well.

I fully intend to shoot for becoming a part timer when the opening comes around next year.. It might be hard work but its worth it to be part of something meaningful. Even if I want to rip my head off because I've told people to have a Merry Christmas so many times in each day.

Oh, And to all the helpers.... try to avoid mean dogs. Don't let them get behind you. I've had one that tried to grab me in the leg and used his head to round off one corner of his owners packages.. Your Driver will let you know if a dog is mean or not, In my case we were seriously hoping the big box I held would be a scary thing and make him run. Unless you don't mind bleeding in your uniform don't take the risk. Personally I don't want blood stains in mine. ;)

Ideliver

As a second year helper my Driver and I have it down to a science. I take one package to the door, set it down in a good hidden from street spot, get my bum back to the vehicle and in it, all the while he is grabbing and scanning the next package and putting it in an easily accessible location for me, if its a small package I will often hold onto it between stops. I keep an eye on the DIAD to make sure its not lit up with a signature required screen and if it is I grab it before I run the package. Most of our stops take 22-26 seconds according to my timer. I'm usually putting on my seat belt almost within a second of two of my driver. Sometimes a tid bit sooner than him or after but most of the times its a close race.

My Driver is awesome. Last years Driver was awesome. Need I say more on that?

Last year my Driver taught me some things, Using the DIAD and whatnot. This year my driver has taught me even more so I can be useful helping with the packages when the shuttle brings us another truck load. I only wish I had known how to sort packages sooner so I would have been better with helping with it when he first started getting the shuttle brought out to him.

I have read a number of posts against the helpers on here and wow, it kinda makes me just laugh.. Yes some of the helpers over complicate things. We are seasonal. for me its from the 1st of Nov to the end of Dec which is longer than some.. I was called to see if I wanted the job again this year in fact. I know some of the helpers don't quite make the cut but hell, Its not easy work, It could be a lot harder.. I love this job. It might be seasonal but I enjoy it. Everyone I have met, be it supervisors or drivers have been nice and I've seen great teamwork between them. They all seem to know each other even if some of them don't know each other too well.

I fully intend to shoot for becoming a part timer when the opening comes around next year.. It might be hard work but its worth it to be part of something meaningful. Even if I want to rip my head off because I've told people to have a Merry Christmas so many times in each day.

Oh, And to all the helpers.... try to avoid mean dogs. Don't let them get behind you. I've had one that tried to grab me in the leg and used his head to round off one corner of his owners packages.. Your Driver will let you know if a dog is mean or not, In my case we were seriously hoping the big box I held would be a scary thing and make him run. Unless you don't mind bleeding in your uniform don't take the risk. Personally I don't want blood stains in mine. ;)

tell us more about this "shuttle" plz...................and HR called u back to go for a second year as a temp?

LadyinRed

Shuttle I suppose is just the easiest term to call it :P My center has used rent-a-trucks to bring us more packages and also the normal UPS trucks for our second round since we are thirty minutes from the center.. Forgive my lack of calling it the proper thing there, We haven't really called it by anything specific. And yes, To my shock HR did pick up the phone and call me to ask if I wanted to work this year as a temp again. I'm going to go out on a wire since you asked about it that it doesn't happen where you are based out of?

Ideliver

Shuttle I suppose is just the easiest term to call it :P My center has used rent-a-trucks to bring us more packages and also the normal UPS trucks for our second round since we are thirty minutes from the center.. Forgive my lack of calling it the proper thing there, We haven't really called it by anything specific. And yes, To my shock HR did pick up the phone and call me to ask if I wanted to work this year as a temp again. I'm going to go out on a wire since you asked about it that it doesn't happen where you are based out of?

yeah....that does not happen. you refer to it as your center and call it a UPS truck. hummmmmmmmm

What center would that be?

Leftinbuilding

Looking forward to to the 26th.

Why??? Unless you are off. Our bldg always looked like a ghost town on the 26th. Less than half a crew, ALL the routes messed up....doubled up on businesses that were closed the 24th. No pickups on the 24th so some of them are doubled up...Delivering areas you have never seen....etc, etc, etc.

wayfair

swollen member
yeah....that does not happen. you refer to it as your center and call it a UPS truck. hummmmmmmmm

they call it a shuttle because, the stuff that wouldn't fit on the PC is left in the building... driver tells center a good time for a meet point so they can shuttle the packages to the driver when they have room to work...