For UPSers in Chicagoland - PT Package Handler, O'Hare or Northbrook?

Hi all,

I've been working as a driver helper the past few weeks but the hours are pitiful - 3 hours a day if I'm lucky. So I'm going to do the driver helper and PT package handler thing that some people do. They need people at O'Hare and Northbrook and I'm wondering if anyone from the area has any knowledge as to which place would be better?

They're both exactly the same distance from me so that's not a factor. I guess I'm wondering which one would have the potential for the most hours? (UPS Jobs website lists Northbrook as a 5 hour shift and O'Hare as a 4 hour shift, are these numbers accurate?) And would the jobs be exactly the same at both places? I imagine Northbrook would be mostly loading the delivery trucks, but O'Hare would be what, loading and unloading planes?

Also, I'd really like to stay on with UPS after peak and I'm wondering if one location over the other would be better for that possibility. Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Year round (outside of Peak season) the hours are going to be just as "pitiful". These are part time jobs.
Which location/shift is best for you is the one which otherwise fits into your daily life. Are you a student? Have another job? Need this job to supplement your household income and for the benefits? Do you want to get 'your foot in the door' so you can become a delivery truck driver?

Some pros & con's:
  • NBK preload shift (early morning)- probably the most hours, might be close to 5 hours a day if you are actually loading the trucks. Most likely to be able to driver helper during Peak. The preloaders (those actually loading trucks) & sorters get $1/hr more. Currently Monday-Friday.
  • NBK evening ("twilight")-daily "guarantee" pay of 3.5 hours/day, currently Monday-Friday. During Peak season they may start earlier, so driver helping may not be allowed. Con's: when they shut down the feeder operation there about 5-6 years ago the amount of work (hours) was cut drastically and for a while I heard people were barely getting their 3.5 hours, don't know if things have gotten better. Probably work until 9:30 or 10 each night, would it bother you working late each Friday instead of being with your friends/family?
  • ORD- only a 3 hour daily "guarantee". Besides loading/unloading the containers between the planes and trailers, there is also sorting of letters/packages. They work 6 days a week there, I don't know if they staff Saturdays strictly voluntarily, or if you get a day off scheduled during the week. The early mornings are earlier, the evenings are later. Con's: working outside in all weather (I think some rain gear is provided), no opportunity to do part-time driving (although there might not be @ NBK, because it goes by seniority).

Hefner51

I know this might not help you since I'm in the south. but I load package cars and I get about 7 to 8 hours a night during peak. but during the regular year only like 3 to 4 hours

Thanks for the replies, a lot of good info there.

hondo; not a student, no other job. I'm just trying to get back into the workforce after being out of the game for a few years because of a family emergency. The sooner I can get some good hours, the sooner I can make some positive changes in my personal situation. The benefits, when they come, would be great. And I would LOVE to be a driver someday, but I know from reading around that that's going to take a long time - I might be willing to wait.

I know this is a part-time job, but nobody told me the hours would be so few. Everyone, at every step of the process, made a big production about bringing my own lunch and how important it was to have good nutritious food with me to keep my energy up and keep me going "throughout the day," as we work and eat on the fly. Who the hell brings their lunch to a sub-three hour work day?

And I know I could/should have another job besides PT at UPS, but I've worked two jobs for different employers at the same time at different points in my life and it was always hell. Twice the driving, twice the laundry, twice the bosses, twice the skill set to master. And without exception one job will want you to start early or stay late and they, or the other job, will be pissed at you because you couldn't make it all work out.

So right now I'm kind of putting my eggs in the UPS basket and hoping for the best. From what's listed above, "NBK preload shift" probably sounds like my best bet. At what point should I ask to be a preloader or sorter for the extra dollar? Up front or after I start? And are there no full-time low-level jobs at UPS hubs? Would someone be allowed to work early morning and twilight shifts to end up with 6-7 hours a day? Thanks a lot for your help.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Thanks for the replies, a lot of good info there.

hondo; not a student, no other job. I'm just trying to get back into the workforce after being out of the game for a few years because of a family emergency. The sooner I can get some good hours, the sooner I can make some positive changes in my personal situation. The benefits, when they come, would be great. And I would LOVE to be a driver someday, but I know from reading around that that's going to take a long time - I might be willing to wait.

I know this is a part-time job, but nobody told me the hours would be so few. Everyone, at every step of the process, made a big production about bringing my own lunch and how important it was to have good nutritious food with me to keep my energy up and keep me going "throughout the day," as we work and eat on the fly. Who the hell brings their lunch to a sub-three hour work day?

And I know I could/should have another job besides PT at UPS, but I've worked two jobs for different employers at the same time at different points in my life and it was always hell. Twice the driving, twice the laundry, twice the bosses, twice the skill set to master. And without exception one job will want you to start early or stay late and they, or the other job, will be :censored2: at you because you couldn't make it all work out.

So right now I'm kind of putting my eggs in the UPS basket and hoping for the best. From what's listed above, "NBK preload shift" probably sounds like my best bet. At what point should I ask to be a preloader or sorter for the extra dollar? Up front or after I start? And are there no full-time low-level jobs at UPS hubs? Would someone be allowed to work early morning and twilight shifts to end up with 6-7 hours a day? Thanks a lot for your help.
Can you drive a stick shift?

Putting all your eggs in 1 basket is pretty much always a bad idea.

Yes, I know that. But I'm in a very tough predicament because of the three year gap in employment. I went back to previous employers (they like me and want me back, no BS) but my old jobs have been filled. I applied at a few new places but everyone had a hard time with me not punching a clock in a few years, even though I have all the documentation explaining why and glowing references from past employers.

So some friends said, "Try UPS, they always need extra help around the holidays." That's what I did and it's been great so far, except for the low hours.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Is the next hub North for UPS into Wisconsin, around Kenosha?
Just curious how far North the Northbrook hub covers.
The Northbrook Hub now dispatches all the way to the Wisconsin border. I think it is roughly the eastern portion of Lake County, IL. Until about 3 or 4 years ago there was a stand-alone Center in Waukegan, that was shuttered. IIRC it was supposed to be a cost saving decision, from what I heard they ended up needing more package car drivers (to service NDAs) and were talking about expanding the building (adding another boxline, or more likely a belt).

watdaflock?

The Northbrook Hub now dispatches all the way to the Wisconsin border.

Thank you Hondo. I have family in the Grays Lake area which is only a few miles from the Wisconsin border.
Wondered if Northbrook would still be the closest customer center/hub or if something even closer crossing the border and near Kenosha.

*Leads me to the question; who delivers to Kenosha? With a UW branch and it being a decent size Wisconsin town I guessed UPS had a smaller hub there.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Ups has a facility off hwy 11 on the s side of racine
Its very very small compared to northbrook

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
You might be closer to the palintine hub. They might not be hiring becase of all the people moving from the Addison hub. But keep checking

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Gray's Lake might be serviced from the Palatine IL hub; and anything in WI would be from a WI hub or center, looks like the post above answers that question.

watdaflock?

silenze Member
New
Ups has a facility off hwy 11 on the s side of racine
Its very very small compared to northbrook

aah ha! Thank you much for the prompt response.

Wow....quick Google and it looks like Grays Lake, Il. is about half way between Northbrook, Il. and Racine, Wi.

Most likely more hours available at Northbrook than Racine.

watdaflock?

Gray's Lake might be serviced from the Palatine IL hub; and anything in WI would be from a WI hub or center, looks like the post above answers that question.
Interesting. Heading North-side Chicago UPS has a hub in Northbrook and Palatine, then not until Racine into Wisconsin?

Appreciate the info everyone. Thanks again.

You might be closer to the palintine hub. They might not be hiring becase of all the people moving from the Addison hub. But keep checking

*Down the road (years most likely) I may move up there.....no hurry but was simply curious as for UPS hubs in the area. I have family in the Grays Lake area and a bit South of there.