For What Its Worth

trickpony1

You have a breakdown in you car and you pay a mechanic to fix it.

My car doesn't work for an internationally known, highly visible, multi-billion dollar shipping company that has a mutually agreed upon labor contract with it's employees.
My car has replaceable parts that can be obtained at the parts store that will make it operational again..........my body doesn't.

705red

Browncafe Steward
All I know is I could really use that 5K:thumbup1:.

As far as health insurance I don't mind paying. Where do people get this notion that it should be free? You have a breakdown in you car and you pay a mechanic to fix it. Why should you pay nothing for a doctor's visit? Obviously you need insurance for severe illnesses and lengthy hospital stays, but I think regular doctor's visits should come out of your own pocket.
Please tell me your not on the negotiating committe for the unions side. You dont know what you have until its gone!

tieguy

Banned
My car doesn't work for an internationally known, highly visible, multi-billion dollar shipping company that has a mutually agreed upon labor contract with it's employees.
My car has replaceable parts that can be obtained at the parts store that will make it operational again..........my body doesn't.

working on it. In your case we would only have to replace your glutes. :thumbup1:

browniehound

Please tell me your not on the negotiating committe for the unions side. You dont know what you have until its gone!

705, I'm not saying we should give up what we have. I was talking in general about health insurance. I think the goverment could provide universal health insurance to all its citizens if maybe we paid for doctor's visits and prescriptions, but we would be covered for surgeries and cancer. Is that so far fetched?

705red

Browncafe Steward
705, I'm not saying we should give up what we have. I was talking in general about health insurance. I think the goverment could provide universal health insurance to all its citizens if maybe we paid for doctor's visits and prescriptions, but we would be covered for surgeries and cancer. Is that so far fetched?
I have family in ireland and their medical is free! But you will die waiting to get in there, its so backed up.

Look we make a good buck, we get a pension, medical for us and our family, prescrptions covered, i would rather take a pay freeze then give up my medical! Any idea how much this medical would cost for your family? Im in chicago and we have the lowest rates in the country and i will tell you its $500 a month for every ups teamster! And i have heard its as much as $1500 a month in other areas of the country.

upsgrunt

I'd be willing to bet we will get .50 to .75 cents a year raise for each year of the contract, the language will basically stay the same, and the union will boast that they did very well for us this contract. It happens every contract; will get the same deal-why should the upcoming be different?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I'd be willing to bet we will get .50 to .75 cents a year raise for each year of the contract, the language will basically stay the same, and the union will boast that they did very well for us this contract. It happens every contract; will get the same deal-why should the upcoming be different?

Those are modest raises, Grunt. I have no problem with a modest raise scale. In the grocery industry, I think we got a raise every year. It was about 50 cents per year if I'm not mistaken. Its been 4 yrs since I was a union grocery worker, so my memory may be wrong. I think the starting wage is the problem at UPS. This should be one of the first things we fix in '08. -Rocky

upsgrunt

Those are modest raises, Grunt. I have no problem with a modest raise scale. In the grocery industry, I think we got a raise every year. It was about 50 cents per year if I'm not mistaken. Its been 4 yrs since I was a union grocery worker, so my memory may be wrong. I think the starting wage is the problem at UPS. This should be one of the first things we fix in '08. -Rocky

I agree, but my point is, if we get basically the same deal every contract why does it take so long to hash it out. If both sides basically know that the details will mirror former contracts, it is a waste of time and money to have session after session of negotiations. I'm pretty sure the teams from both UPS and the union do not stay at Motel 6 and eat at Jack in the Boxes-quit wasting money and GET IT DONE!!!!!!!!

M

Midwest Upser

A raise of $5 per hour would be nice; I'll take it and more if offered. Think tomorrow when you hand that DIAD to your customer at a retail or manufacturing plant if they will be making $5 more per hour in the next 6 years doing the same job. Chances are they will not be!! We all work very hard for the wage we receive and we deserve it!

browniehound

I have family in ireland and their medical is free! But you will die waiting to get in there, its so backed up.

Look we make a good buck, we get a pension, medical for us and our family, prescrptions covered, i would rather take a pay freeze then give up my medical! Any idea how much this medical would cost for your family? Im in chicago and we have the lowest rates in the country and i will tell you its $500 a month for every ups teamster! And i have heard its as much as $1500 a month in other areas of the country.

I don't know. I haven't been to the doctor or hospital in 15 years. I know this is not good, but its the truth. What I don't understand is why prescriptions should be covered. Are they not just like any other product you would go and buy in the store? Why should a portion of my health care contribution go to cover your script for lipitor because you can't stop eating cheeseburgers?

W

westsideworma

We better get the parttimers a better starting wage and i dont mean $9.50 an hour.

I think they are finally beginning to see this is actually a problem. They can't keep ANYONE. No one wants to stay here when they can go to home depot or walmart and make more money up front (obviously not overall) and not have to deal with it. Not to mention they can get more hours (normal ones at that). UPS touts its benefits but a lot of new hires are in college and don't need those benefits. Factor in the large amounts of stress and BS that you go through here and their ridiculous expectations and 8.50 an hour is not going to keep anyone. Our turnover is absolutely horrible and while I'm not sure its only because of the pay, I know a lot of it is. People are willing to put up with a little more if they're making some money.

New hires (in this area) are lucky to take home 150 bucks after the union initiation fee ($25 a week until it gets to $500) and once a month thats added to dues so that week they're 50 bucks in the hole before it even starts. They're working a lot harder than what they're getting paid for. Before someone (they always do) chimes in about earn and learn etc, realize that not all UPS facilities offer it and some its only for PT Supes. Similar jobs offer anywhere from 2-8 dollars more an hour (again in this area) some with benefits some without. Even Fedex starts people at 11.50 an hour for the same job.

B

brown and down

$5000 per friend/T, $2500 per P/T. That adds up to an awful lot of zero's before that decimal point, no matter whose calculator you use. I guess I am kind of sceptical when your throwing those kind of numbers around.

Bonus=Bribe.........Tell them to stick it up their a@!. Give us something we can vote on that will protect our futures. Until they can do that , keep sending them back to the table. Dont sell yourselves short...

ups_vette

westside.....May I ask you why you're working at UPS when you can do the same work for another company in your area for $2 - $8 more an hour?

705red

Browncafe Steward
westside.....May I ask you why you're working at UPS when you can do the same work for another company in your area for $2 - $8 more an hour?
Vette your not managing your center today coming on here at 154 in the afternoon on ups's dime now are you?

Its probably so she can work next to a warm hearted sup like yourself!

A

Anonymous UPSER

If its a good contract, why would there be a signing bonus? This would be to buy the P/Ters votes. I think we had a bonus once that I can remember, but its been so long ago I can't recall the year or what the give backs were. This is definitely rumor time, false stuff gets planted all the time to bring pressure on the negotiating process. Still too early to tell, I personally will be interested in a new and better Pension Plan. But it will depend on the details.

1984 or 85 & 86 ... $1000.00 FT
and $500.00 PR

25yrvet

It's been mentioned to me that bonuses are a thing of the past. Reason being that our union dues are set upon a % of our hourly rate as friend/t drivers. If the hourly rate goes up, so does our dues. Union gets no additional dues $ for bonuses.

rushfan

IMHO we have no idea whats going on with the negociations from the center to the region level. Rumors were flying last time.