Forced 1hr lunch

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Depends on your local/region. In New England we are forced an hour. I believe it's state law, not just what's in the contract. If I had the choice, I would just take 30 minutes a day along with most guys I believe.
Mass state law (I think you're in MA) is a 30 minute break for six hours worked. We're forced to take the full hour here.

9.5er

The route was dispatched before the bid driver called in sick and the cover driver got screwed.
OR the bid driver came in early to sort his truck and saw the massive screwing he was gonna get and took off before the cover driver came in. Had that happen to me more than once.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OR the bid driver came in early to sort his truck and saw the massive screwing he was gonna get and took off before the cover driver came in. Had that happen to me more than once.

The only way that would happen here is if there were an unassigned casual who knew the area and wanted to work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It's not legal too work for free.
No it's not, but it is a contractual violation.

Working more hours than you are paid for is a violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Now, if the company is paying you for that time you are skipping, you are OK, but if you are giving free labor, you are in violation.

Are you falsifying records saying you are on break while working? If you are not entering a lunch and the company goes ahead and takes it out, they are now in violation.

Packmule

Only FORCED to take a half hour here. No one should ever be forced into a break anymore than anyone should be forced into skip it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.

Years ago when I loaded I had a driver give me a tip at Christmas time, only he wasn't a driver I loaded for. He had my cellphone number and a few times each year he'd call me at about 6:30 asking to walk down to look at his load for him.

You can figure out the rest.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
When is everyone going to realize the less lunch you take, the more work you'll get.

yjbmm.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You took the job knowing you'd be away from family... take your hour lunch and enjoy it!!!
Take your lunch runner.

:biggrin:

I am not a runner i already put in 11 hr days everyday Thanks for the advice bunch of :censored2:s
Im sorry I should have known you jerks would be worthless

Someone with a screen name of "Upsking".... I would expect more.

You should be re-named the "Upsqueen".

Grow up.

-Bug-

MendozaJ

Our local is on board with the co they think it will cause more routes to be created.

Same here. Drivers take their hour. They may presort, they may drive to the next stop, but a package does not get scanned until the hour is up (except for the occasional walk up customer). Our local would actually rather you not touch a package during the hour, but that's just asking too much. More routes means more union members means less stops. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always took an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes off every day. It all balances out in the long run. You skip yours and I will take a little extra.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
It doesn't matter what the supplement says, if your Sup or center manager instructs you to do something and you do not do it you can be disciplined for not following instructions. Failure to Follow is the reason on the warning letter.
That warning letter would never stick they cannot instruct you to violate the contract for any reason

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Would it be ok to punch out around 4 every day and keep working a few more hours off the clock? Why just give the company 1 hour of free labor? Lets be generous!

Packmule

Obviously, like everything else, break is not administered the same across the country. Where we are they only count as many minutes of break as you record in the board, meaning that if you only take 30 minutes and record 30 minutes, they will only credit you with 30 minutes.
Given that most of us run from 8:5 to 9:5 hours daily, spare me the crap about being given more work or working for free.
The only thing I'm not doing is wasting a half hour of my time babysitting the truck at some convenience store.

box_beeyotch

Same here. Drivers take their hour. They may presort, they may drive to the next stop, but a package does not get scanned until the hour is up (except for the occasional walk up customer). Our local would actually rather you not touch a package during the hour, but that's just asking too much. More routes means more union members means less stops. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.

You shouldn't be sorting or driving to any stop other than where you plan to take your lunch on your unpaid break. That's working off the clock.