Forced 1hr lunch

Dr.Brownz

It was peak season. Anything I brought back at night would simply get loaded in over the top of the following day's dispatch. After a couple of days those missed stops will start "snowballing" and instead of bringing 20 or 30 back it becomes 100 or 200. My personal record for missed stops stands at about 200, that I brought back at midnight during peak season in 1989. I don't ever want that to happen again.

Well guess UPS has to put in another route then to deal with those 100 stops. The missed stops are UPS's fault.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Well guess UPS has to put in another route then to deal with those 100 stops. The missed stops are UPS's fault.
For 11 1/2 months out of the year, I would agree with you.

During the last 2 weeks of peak, however, I don't. When we are absolutely maxed out, they aren't going to put another route in because they simply cant. They are going to pack the stops into my car no matter what, so it boils down to a question of whether or not I want to spend 14 hours a day wallowing in stops that I have no hope of getting rid of in order to prove a point. This is one of those situations in life where you have to choose between being right and being happy.

Back first

During the last 2 weeks of peak, however, I don't. When we are absolutely maxed out, they aren't going to put another route in because they simply cant. They are going to pack the stops into my car no matter what, so it boils down to a question of whether or not I want to spend 14 hours a day wallowing in stops that I have no hope of getting rid of in order to prove a point. This is one of those situations in life where you have to choose between being right and being happy.
This is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. Do you think you are the only driver that gets hammered during peak. How long have you been driving? Take your lunch end of story. Stop trying to solve UPS problems.

By The Book

How so? I am being paid for all hours worked, and accurately entering my breaks and lunch (none) in the DIAD. I could see your point if I was working off of the clock, but I'm not.
Didn't we have a class action lawsuit over the lunch issue? Im surprised UPS is so lax about it these days. You are probably violating your states minimum requirement for time taken on lunch, and therefore UPS is violating state law, can you say lawsuit number 2?

dudebro

You're exactly right, but everyone has a tendency to be short sighted. Well, the sup got the work dispatched and the driver delivered it. Tomorrow is another day. Except when one mgmt person denies a driver a lunch because he or she thinks it's commonplace, and the driver blows the whistle. Then, when they subpoena UPS records and uncover all the no-lunches, and the company says they were all "voluntary", no one in their right mind believes that. So it's settlement time all over again.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It was peak season. Anything I brought back at night would simply get loaded in over the top of the following day's dispatch. After a couple of days those missed stops will start "snowballing" and instead of bringing 20 or 30 back it becomes 100 or 200. My personal record for missed stops stands at about 200, that I brought back at midnight during peak season in 1989. I don't ever want that to happen again.
I've heard the story many times, and my opinion doesn't change. If you want to work 14 hours without a lunch, that should be your business, but I'll gladly bring back 100 stops if it means I can take my breaks and lunch.

Tiny Panda

Think yourself lucky, we have to take ours by law here in the UK due to driving hours regulations. Don't take it and you'll have a displinary waiting and a $2500 fine if the DOT catch you during a check.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I've heard the story many times, and my opinion doesn't change. If you want to work 14 hours without a lunch, that should be your business, but I'll gladly bring back 100 stops if it means I can take my breaks and lunch.
When I clock on at 8:15 AM during the week of Christmas, it is a given that I will not be clocking back out until approximately 14 hours have elapsed.

My choices, therefore, are to (a) work through my lunch, bring 15 or 20 stops back, and get paid for 14 hours of work or (b) take a 30 minute lunch, bring 30 or 40 stops back and get paid for 13.5 hours of work.

I choose option B. Since my day is totally FUBAR and I'm not getting home until 10:45 at night anyway, I might as well squeeze every penny I possibly can out of the company.

barbacide5150

It says up to a hr . They are taking away time with my family doing this. Its all about control they think we will skip our breaks. Ups gives zero sh@ts about us or our family.
they work us 14 hour days at my center.So a hour lunch two 15 minute breaks and extra half hour after 12 hours. thats two hours not delivering bus stops.They catch on real fast. O ya.UPS could care less about your family or personall obligations.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When I clock on at 8:15 AM during the week of Christmas, it is a given that I will not be clocking back out until approximately 14 hours have elapsed.

My choices, therefore, are to (a) work through my lunch, bring 15 or 20 stops back, and get paid for 14 hours of work or (b) take a 30 minute lunch, bring 30 or 40 stops back and get paid for 13.5 hours of work.

I choose option B. Since my day is totally FUBAR and I'm not getting home until 10:45 at night anyway, I might as well squeeze every penny I possibly can out of the company.
Yeah that mainstream driver mentality, squeeze as much $ and as many hours as possible to pay for all of those white-picket homes, new cars and toys you couldn't otherwise afford . Tell me something I don't know and see every single day. :D

Raw

Raw Member

What are you talking about? They have sooooooo much peak help that I get more overtime when we are not in peak than peak!

OldMan

Don't blame your management team. This is being enforced by the Union. It is in the contract & the union wants it enforced because they hate the bonus drivers. It's an excuse to cover the weak drivers. Think about it, the bonus program was implement to get pick-up packages back to the centers and hubs earlier. That way they can get the packages processed with less chance of having service failures. If all the drivers came in just before the sort went down they would never be able to unload all those package cars. This is one instance where the Union should keep it's nose out of what the drivers want to do,

porkwagon

If you steal time, you can be fired. Don't give them time. UPS instructs you to take and record your lunch. Do it. Get paid for all hours worked. If you want to do volunteer work, there are charities that could use your donated time.

asphaltcowboy

Friday, December 19th 2014. I brought 22 stops back and clocked out at 10:04 PM in order to keep from running out of DOT hours. We had drivers out until midnight that day. The previous evening I clocked out at 10:30.
View attachment 40777

That's really not a bad day only 396 pkgs and 24 signature stops. You must have had a lot of miles and a lot of head scratching thinking of responses to them dang messages. I'm just playing tho that's too many stops