Forced 20 Minute Break

dezguy

Just slow down. Talk to that cute receptionist a few more minutes and let your sph drop like a rock.

When management realizes you can't be pushed around, life suddenly gets a lot easier at FedEx.

whenIgetthere

We have a new SM who is starting to enforce the 60 minute break BS for 8. My old station had 60 minute break for all FT, even if just running a P1 route. A few of us took our breaks at 1000, and that ridiculous idea disappeared the next day.

Purplepackage

We have a new SM who is starting to enforce the 60 minute break BS for 8. My old station had 60 minute break for all FT, even if just running a P1 route. A few of us took our breaks at 1000, and that ridiculous idea disappeared the next day.

Enforcing of hour breaks lasts about a week before management forgets

BootsOnTarmac

30 minutes after 6 hours, 1 hour after 8 hours. If they feel you are breaking the rules it will show up as an OLCC. If you get an OLCC for this, email a copy to the regional / district HR and wait for a reply. Do this before acknowledging the OLCC. Your manager will ask you to do the acknowledgment, reply with "I'm waiting for HR to get back to me in writing about a clarification of policy". Don't be a pushover.

I'm at the Airport, does this work on the courier / RTD level?

MAKAVELI

Please explain option 2. You mean ask for it in writing?
Yes exactly. Ask for the specific policy on breaks and ask why you're being told deviate from that policy. I've never heard of part-timers being asked to take a break unless they were doing deliveries and Pickups and or going over 6 hours. It's up to you if you want to find it but it may be easier just like I said work the system and eliminate any large gaps.

MassWineGuy

Yet, you're complaining about a twenty minute break?

I'm hard-pressed to imagine a situation where I would need to start a thread about my guaranteed break time if I worked for...

See where I'm going with this?

No. Try reading my first post again. I'm not talking about a guaranteed break, whatever that means. If UPS ordered you to take an additional unpaid break every day, I can already see you running to the shop steward.

Schweddy

Balls
It will reduce gap times because they think you'll run to keep from having lates. Don't. Work as directed and move at your same pace. Let the lates be their problem. They'll find out when you guys have lates everywhere that it doesn't work.

that and they are also hoping you will sort your truck while on break. search the forum for WAD -- lots of interesting perspectives.

Isn't 20 still paid though? 21+ would be unpaid?

MassWineGuy

My understanding of breaks is that they are all off the clock. If not, how could breaks (in their minds) reduce gap time? Still, worth a try.

Schweddy

Balls
If my scenario is what you're dealing with - then they are hoping you'll use your "break" to work in the back of your truck. Hoping to not pay you to organize and be prepared, with a plan, on your future stops.

Any break under 20 is supposed to be paid, by law. But then again, like ON said, might vary. Just like me thinking if it's exactly 20 and below, paid. 21+ minutes not paid.

And like already mentioned, after this week, they might not be asked about it on their calls and forget to care. I'd pick your battles wisely..

MAKAVELI

My understanding of breaks is that they are all off the clock. If not, how could breaks (in their minds) reduce gap time? Still, worth a try.
Depends on your state laws out here in Cali you're entitled to two 10-minute breaks for 6 hours of work. And an unpaid 20 minute break would be a break violation . It's 30 minutes minimum to be considered a meal break.

Last edited: