Forced 20 Minute Break

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
mind games..
That's why I work as directed and move at the same pace. I only care about lates nowadays if I caused them. If I have them because of management ineptitude, could not care less. Just like they're bugging us about staying under ten hours right now. If they want to keep me from going over 10, THEY need to make it happen. If not, I'll deliver til my truck is empty and not worry about it.

dex 84

A 20 minute break is unpaid. Really no point in taking one unless you use it with a 40 minute break or 2 other 20 minute breaks to get up to your full hour break.

outtatime

that and they are also hoping you will sort your truck while on break. search the forum for WAD -- lots of interesting perspectives.

Isn't 20 still paid though? 21+ would be unpaid?
20 min is the bare minimum. Anything under would be paid and considered a break violation. You could take 4 15min breaks in a day and it wouldn't count as a proper break and you would be paid for that whole hour. 3 20min breaks would be okay though.

MAKAVELI

20 min is the bare minimum. Anything under would be paid and considered a break violation. You could take 4 15min breaks in a day and it wouldn't count as a proper break and you would be paid for that whole hour. 3 20min breaks would be okay though.
Again that depends on your state laws.

!Retired!

Law in my province states anything over 6 hours requires at least a 30 minute break. Anything over 8 requires 1 hour.
I haven't taken an hour in years. Even when I was down South running a 4/10 I took 30 minutes.
Be glad you're not in a state like TheJackal and I are in that requires a 30-min break for anything worked over 5 hours.
Working over 5 is not an issue.

McFeely

Huge Member
I haven't taken an hour in years. Even when I was down South running a 4/10 I took 30 minutes.

Working over 5 is not an issue.

I don't do 1-hour breaks either. I have a 10-hour route (P1, P2, pups) and I take just enough stops to be productive and have time for a 30-min break.

The only problem with the 5-hour rule in Colorado is for the PT'ers who think they'll be done in under 5 hours, then all of a sudden we have late freight or an ad-hoc flight. Seriously, WTF is up with the ad hocs lately? We have had 3 ad hocs in the last 2 weeks.

!Retired!

The only problem with the 5-hour rule in Colorado is for the PT'ers who think they'll be done in under 5 hours, then all of a sudden we have late freight or an ad-hoc flight. Seriously, WTF is up with the ad hocs lately? We have had 3 ad hocs in the last 2 weeks.
PT'ers don't have to worry about the late freight, unless they stay voluntarily. If their forced to stay to 6 hours, which they can do, they should let the manager know their taking 30 minutes.

No clue why the ad hocs. Memphis screwed up Friday....we got our freight on time :eek:

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
No clue why the ad hocs. Memphis screwed up Friday....we got our freight on time :eek:

We haven't had more than a 10 minute late departure from MEMH or our secondary hub in several months. This region has made a huge priority of positive pulls for outbound CTVs and outbound ramp flights for most of this year and it's paying off for us.

McFeely

Huge Member
And almost never, if ever, a commendation.

I tend to agree based on what I hear at my station, then again most of the OLCC's at my station are well-deserved by the couriers that get them for doing stupid stuff. It's just too bad hardly anybody ever gets any positive feedback.

Purplepackage

We haven't had more than a 10 minute late departure from MEMH or our secondary hub in several months. This region has made a huge priority of positive pulls for outbound CTVs and outbound ramp flights for most of this year and it's paying off for us.

Yeah you hold on to the optimism. In case you didn't notice it's November 1st in a few days which means nothing will be on time again until January

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A 20 minute break is unpaid. Really no point in taking one unless you use it with a 40 minute break or 2 other 20 minute breaks to get up to your full hour break.

The expectation is that you will write-out for your breaks, and then continue to work through them, thereby making SPH and productivity higher...and you poorer.

I'm always amazed there are so many people willing to work for free for The Weasel. To do so is just unfathomable.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah you hold on to the optimism. In case you didn't notice it's November 1st in a few days which means nothing will be on time again until January

In case you didn't notice, I didn't say anything about the future or what I expected in the future. I was commenting on the recent performance.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In case you didn't notice, I didn't say anything about the future or what I expected in the future. I was commenting on the recent performance.
Well Purplepackage was referring to peak which by the way is coming again this year and Christmas falls on December 25th in case you've forgotten.

It'll be "the world whenever" for sure.

McFeely

Huge Member
We haven't had more than a 10 minute late departure from MEMH or our secondary hub in several months.

Must be nice. We get late freight 3-4 days a week. And like I said, we had 3 ad hoc flights in the last 2 weeks. That meant that PT'ers and others close to the station had to finish P1s, then head back to the station for a 2nd sort and shuttle freight. Our last ad hoc flight had just under 200 pieces for the entire station.

This late freight is starting to feel like Peak 2013 all over again and it's only October!

dezguy

Must be nice. We get late freight 3-4 days a week. And like I said, we had 3 ad hoc flights in the last 2 weeks. That meant that PT'ers and others close to the station had to finish P1s, then head back to the station for a 2nd sort and shuttle freight. Our last ad hoc flight had just under 200 pieces for the entire station.

This late freight is starting to feel like Peak 2013 all over again and it's only October!
Supposed to be a bad winter so get used to it.

Maybe FedEx is just warming you guys up for all the late freight we're going to experience the next 5 months or so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I notice you didn't refute my claim that FedEx is expecting most employees to just work for free through the breaks. You know, like the people who work through their "break" and then enter the stop later.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Aren't you a "manager" in Tennessee? Gee. which is farther away, Anchorage or Nashville? I'll give you some time to figure it out and why you have a lot of on-time freight.

Jesus H. Cristo.