Forced Breaks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Anyone else experiencing forced breaks during aircraft or CTV delays, or forced "breaks" when you don't really get one? I've heard they are pushing for break compliance even when the freight is very late (at least 30 mins) and it is literally impossible to comply.

The end result is a lot of people working through breaks and faking them on the PowerPad. More money saved for Fred, and more productivity too. You lose all the way around.

Tell Uncle Fred to go pound sand. Take your 30 minutes if they put a gun to your head, and don't do anything off the clock. You're just helping make a rich SOB that could care less about you that much richer. Think about it. Don't be a dupe.

UPSBluRdg03

You guys have the potential to be a fine asset to Teamsters one day. Only problem the majority or your fellow couriers have not seen the light threw the clouds of what a union would offer. Not working off the clock and taking your full break is part of a regular day at UPS. Now of course we got some hot shots that think they can do the opposite of both but atleast they are not forced to do so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You guys have the potential to be a fine asset to Teamsters one day. Only problem the majority or your fellow couriers have not seen the light threw the clouds of what a union would offer. Not working off the clock and taking your full break is part of a regular day at UPS. Now of course we got some hot shots that think they can do the opposite of both but atleast they are not forced to do so.

I remember a big lawsuit against UPS for break violations about 15-20 years ago. There were some big smiles in the package cars when they got the settlement checks. One of these days, FedEx is going to get slammed with something similar.

vantexan

How is this possible?When in break the powerpad does not allow any activity.

You could still deliver pkgs during break, writing info down and entering them in power pad after lunch is over. To keep it from being obvious just enter one of the stops every so often while doing deliveries after lunch. No, I don't do it, but I have driven some distance on my break. However I show mileage as the real issue is being deceptive. If I'm 30 miles away from last stop before lunch but don't show mileage it skews my numbers and in effect I'd be lying to company. So I just show miles and worst they can say is I gave some time that I should've been paid for back to them so that I could get the job done and get in on time.

FedEx2000

You could still deliver pkgs during break, writing info down and entering them in power pad after lunch is over. To keep it from being obvious just enter one of the stops every so often while doing deliveries after lunch. No, I don't do it, but I have driven some distance on my break. However I show mileage as the real issue is being deceptive. If I'm 30 miles away from last stop before lunch but don't show mileage it skews my numbers and in effect I'd be lying to company. So I just show miles and worst they can say is I gave some time that I should've been paid for back to them so that I could get the job done and get in on time.

I'd be very careful here. Everyone has been told not to work while on break, off the clock, etc. So regardless of the fact that your manager might know you are doing it, you can bet that if it ever comes down to it FedEx will pull out every piece of paper you have signed or had access to that states these facts.....if you choose to drive/sheet stops on your break it can easily be a falsification issue. Your manager might also get written up for it, but b/c the courier is the one who made the decision to do it while knowing better they will be the one who would likely be facing termination. Just don't do it, it's not worth your job. If you are getting flak for it, and making your SPH, ask your manager to show you how it can be done and turn in a check-ride request.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is this possible?When in break the powerpad does not allow any activity.

vantexan summed it up nicely. It's very easy to work during your PowerPad "break". Management knows this happens, and FedEx condones it by consistently overloading couriers in the pursuit of increased productivity and profits. They cover themselves with the PowerPad legal statement you acknowledge before you start your fake break. They are fully aware that this happens all the time. More $$$ for Uncle Fred.

vantexan

I don't recommend anyone working on break. I have driven on break but I do show my miles. Only a few times because I prefer to be paid. But the risk is having an accident while driving off the clock so I don't recommend it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
vantexan summed it up nicely. It's very easy to work during your PowerPad "break". Management knows this happens, and FedEx condones it by consistently overloading couriers in the pursuit of increased productivity and profits. They cover themselves with the PowerPad legal statement you acknowledge before you start your fake break. They are fully aware that this happens all the time. More $$$ for Uncle Fred.

When they started this break time in the powerpad thing it never fixed the real root of the problem which was couriers being overloaded with work. Heaven forbid that they reduce the workload so a legitimate hour or half hour break can be taken. Leave it to Smith to hide under the skirts of the legal department and come up with this.