Forced to work on Memorial Day

Cincypackagehandler

Today in PCM here in local 100 we were told that working Memorial Day will be mandatory for the day sort. It will be paid double time so quite frankly I'm pretty happy about it. But can they just make you come in on a day like Memorial Day? That's a pretty big holiday for some people with lost loved ones in the military or what not. I know most people will grill out and drink some beers but I thought it was a little strange they're forcing people to work on this Holiday. There were more than a pew PTers that were not happy.

Dr.Brownz

you can have 3 no call no shows in a nine month period and not get fired. That's what my full time sup told me and a bunch of others

UPSjacks84

What you do is you walk straight in your center, find a belt, then take a massive :censored2: on it and walk out of the building and go grill some steaks.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

you can have 3 no call no shows in a nine month period and not get fired. That's what my full time sup told me and a bunch of others

Or just call off, aka call in "sick". However, you don't have to feign an illness, as you do not have to tell them WHY you are calling out. Just that you will be unable to come in that day. That way you don't put yourself on the NCNS progression.

AndUPSER

Same local as you and I am working Monday too, but I volunteered since I'm not on day sort. Double time plus holiday pay plus 30-35 hours the rest of the week equals a good paycheck.

Nimnim

The Nim
Same local as you and I am working Monday too, but I volunteered since I'm not on day sort. Double time plus holiday pay plus 30-35 hours the rest of the week equals a good paycheck.

At least for me, were I to volunteer for such a shift here in the Southern Region, I'd get straight time plus holiday. Being forced to work would net me double time and holiday.

Might want to check that yourself. Volunteering usually puts people at straight time as most of the language I've seen for working holidays includes a word like "forced."

Nimnim

The Nim
At least for me, were I to volunteer for such a shift here in the Southern Region, I'd get straight time plus holiday. Being forced to work would net me double time and holiday.

Might want to check that yourself. Volunteering usually puts people at straight time as most of the language I've seen for working holidays includes a word like "forced."

To add a little more, "Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall
receive double the regular hourly rate for all hours worked"

Granted it says required and not forced, and it's a partial excerpt, but it helps get my point across. Article 60 section 4 of the Southern supplement. The rest of section 4 is just guaranteed hours.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
To add a little more, "Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall
receive double the regular hourly rate for all hours worked"

Granted it says required and not forced, and it's a partial excerpt, but it helps get my point across. Article 60 section 4 of the Southern supplement. The rest of section 4 is just guaranteed hours.
They have always paid us double time whether we are volunteer or not. The common reason is if they didn't they wouldn't get knowledgable drivers to work it and get stuck with rookies, paying them double anyways. It is also possiable that they considered required to work falls under everyone is required to work if they volunteer or not. Either way I have always received double time, forced or not.

Cincypackagehandler

Check and make sure it's double time for you. I talked to the main boss on Day Sort today and he said the only way they would approve this to be a day where the employees make double time was to make it a forced work day and designate it a "day sort only" operation. He said that he was going to try to keep it strictly day sort workers in because he wouldn't be able to promise twilight or any other employees from a different sort double time.