Forced to work preload

Duckydad

Ok, a few of our drivers choose to work preload when we aren't able to drive very much because of low volume, no drivers off, etc. Well we have been short on preloaders lately and they have been "forcing" (most days it's not really forced) us to work, some days even having someone come in on less than 10 hours off making them ineligible to drive. My question is, can they do that? I worked a 14 hour day today and can't come in until 7, but she wants us all to call at 4 to find out if we preload. I wrote a note saying I can't work until 7 AM and i'm not going to come in for 2 hours of preload if I'm not driving tomorrow.

Can she force me to work preload and make me ineligible to drive?

BrownTexas

If you are a FT driver, no they can't. And I wouldn't call to see if I'm needed. Show up to drive and if they have nothing for you, tell them you will be filing for your guaranteed 8 hours.

upschuck

Where is the ORS in all of this, they should be talking to the preload sups saying you can't work preload, if there is a possibility of you driving.

Duckydad

Right now we are in-between ORS's. So the new one isn't quite in the loop yet, pretty sure that all got worked out today because all the drivers have been having trouble finishing the routes without handing work off because they have been on preload and the DM was here.
He told our preload sup today that she can force us from the bottom up if she doesn't have enough preloaders for the shift.

So is this not true?

Duckydad

And every day last week except Monday I worked preload and had to drive a full route. I worked 59.7 hours. I like the OT. But would rather not work preload if I drive. It sucks going out after loading for 4+ hours.

Duckydad

A bit off topic but if UPS would "show us the money" there would not be a shortage of employees to work preload.
It's true though. No one wants to do that rough of a job for so cheap. I cleared about 175 a week as a preloader. And spent 50 in gas to get here. But I knew the long term goal. Some centes that goal is years. My wait wasn't that long. At all.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Ok, a few of our drivers choose to work preload when we aren't able to drive very much because of low volume, no drivers off, etc. Well we have been short on preloaders lately and they have been "forcing" (most days it's not really forced) us to work, some days even having someone come in on less than 10 hours off making them ineligible to drive. My question is, can they do that? I worked a 14 hour day today and can't come in until 7, but she wants us all to call at 4 to find out if we preload. I wrote a note saying I can't work until 7 AM and i'm not going to come in for 2 hours of preload if I'm not driving tomorrow.

Can she force me to work preload and make me ineligible to drive?
Have you talked to your steward/BA?

What Region are you in, and does your Local have a seniority application?

Nobody here can answer your questions until we know these facts.

Duckydad

Our steward says they are allowed to work us "when/where we are needed" western supplement, local 162. And I have no idea if he has a seniority application. Never heard of it. Only been a driver 10 months.

And our hub has 27 drivers, on average 12 people work the sunrise shift (preload). We have had trouble keeping anyone longer than a couple days the last few months. Because no one wants to unload 3 trailers by themselves for 10 bucks an hour when they can flip burgers for the same price. If you aren't looking at the long haul, this job isn't for you.

rod

Retired 22 years
Many are like that but one of my best center manager's was a woman.

There is currently a female center manager at my old center (she wasn't there when I was). Shes been there for 14 years now and everyone (even the brown-nosers) I've talked to say they hate her and she hates everyone back. Sounds like such a nice work environment.

trickpony1

I think there is a company mandate to hire females where/whenever possible.....even if they aren't suitable for the job.

Must have been a big lawsuit somewhere........