Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch out

stink219

In RI the whole building shuts down for 10 min about an hour and a half into the shift. A bell sounds at the beginning and end of the break period.

Macbrother

Re: Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch

You do get breaks, it is contractually guaranteed. The only reason not to get one is because your either to week to stand up for your self or to stupid to know your rights!!
In the Central Region Supplement it is Article11, section 6 page 198:

All part time employees shall be given a paid break of ten(10) minutes per shift or part time operation. Breaks shall not be scheduled prior to one(1) hour of work being performed.

You might get breaks. Not all supplements have this guarantee.

DiligentUPSer

Re: Forced to work through break, not given my 10 minutes until I was ready to punch

What is there to file for here? He was offered his break and did not want to take it. It doesn't matter if it was at the end of the night. The only contractual provision with regard to this is that a break can not be taken before the first hour of the night is up.

kingOFchester

Still amazes me that a lot of the rank and file (or at least a lot who post here) do not know the following

That there are numerous supplements that have different wording.

Get a hold of your contract. Read it and have a good idea what is in it, and keep it so you can refer to it when you have a question about something. Work as directed. Obviously ignoring a direction to kill someone :wacko:...... As I was saying, work as directed, read the contract to confirm that you were directed to do something that was in violation of the contract and FILE.

Do NOT ignore a direction because you read here that XXX is a violation. You may come to find out that XXX is allowed in your local and could open yourself up to disciplinary action for refusing to work as directed. Management may be calling the steward for you when they hand down the warning letter or the like.

packageguy

So here's the deal.

I'm a loader. On Friday, I was told to work through break. 6 minutes into working through break my supervisor to take whatever I had left of my break which was about 3-4 minutes and to come back and he would give me the rest later. I told him that's ridiculous, I want my full 10 minutes. He responded by saying to work as directed. I demanded a shop steward.

After 20 minutes of no shop steward I asked where the shop steward was, he responded he was paged and there's nothing he can do. 30 minutes pass and I told him I needed to speak to a full timer. Full time supervisor spoke to me and told me that a shop steward was paged. He told me I'm entitled "UP TO 10 minutes". He told me "When your supervisor has enough time he'll put you on break".

Fastfastword, I was never given a break. I was never granted a shop steward. When all the loads were clean I asked my supervisor if there was anything else he needed me to do. He told me yes take your break. Keep in mind it was 10:15 PM. Start time was 6:00 PM.

This is ridiculous to me. On top of that I worked through break two weeks ago and was not paid the 10 minutes and it was later corrected.

Any thoughts on how I should handle this next time?

Hope you got paid for it. If there is a problem tell them to go to the camaras they have hanging over head, prove the time you worked. Griev your time.

packageguy

You are full of knowledge sunshine......... lol new yorker with knowledge love it

Last edited by a moderator:

We've had the same problem in our building and by contract they can make you take your break individually as a group or at the end of your shift.... Which I think is BS in my book and should be amended for group breaks only

Kis124

We don't get breaks even thru peak...sometimes the unload sup will let us out to have a smoke but no official break.

menotyou

bella amicizia

We don't get breaks even thru peak...sometimes the unload sup will let us out to have a smoke but no official break.
It only takes one person to affect change.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke (1729-1797);
Statesman, Author, Philosopher

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough, we must do.”

Leonardo da da Vinci (1452-1519);
Artist, Inventor, Scientist

“How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.”

Anne Frank (1929-1945);
Diarist
“We must become the change we want to see in the world.”

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948);
Indian Political And Spiritual Leader

Are you seeing the point?

Nimnim

The Nim

Depending where you are the supplement may have wording on it, mine in the south is between 1st and 3rd hour, but if your area is slammed many will let it slide as long as they get their 10 minutes. For me, it's rare they ask me to work through break as an irreg driver, it's usually on a special sort like the day before Thanksgiving, and if I don't actually take a break I make sure they put 10 minutes on my time. Haven't had a problem yet after 7 years.

If your supplement doesn't have language, your state law may.

Look into it, if you're entitled, contract or state law, you're entitled. If it's contractual you can grieve it, if it's state law you can report it to the appropriate office.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream

You need to be careful here because the contract allows for past practice. If it's been practiced in your building to break up your breaks and add it later, then you're screwed. Don't allow them to start a new past practice. It's better for everyone...the company included to just follow contract. Past practice makes it to where we have no defense. Contract rules allow for defense and a clear guideline for UPS to follow...I know they don't and they push anytime they can and want. Figure out what your building does and go accordingly. By all means work as directed until you get a handle on it.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

Dude why didn't you just ignore him and go to the rest room or break area. **** him/her or anyone else that wants to play Hitler. Take your break when you entitle to them. If they want to change the time then they should give you advance notice. Hey you want to **** with there head then go to the restroom when you need to not when the work slows down.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

One thing I can gather from this thread:

We are all human. It's a difficult job. One needs a break every once in a while. I remember my father telling me that,. as an army officer, they'd give 5 minutes every hour (or around there) to soliders.

Take a break, don't abuse it.

texan

One thing I can gather from this thread:

We are all human. It's a difficult job. One needs a break every once in a while. I remember my father telling me that,. as an army officer, they'd give 5 minutes every hour (or around there) to soliders.

Take a break, don't abuse it.

I agree, Great Post

Buck Fifty

So here's the deal.

I'm a loader. On Friday, I was told to work through break. 6 minutes into working through break my supervisor to take whatever I had left of my break which was about 3-4 minutes and to come back and he would give me the rest later. I told him that's ridiculous, I want my full 10 minutes. He responded by saying to work as directed. I demanded a shop steward.

After 20 minutes of no shop steward I asked where the shop steward was, he responded he was paged and there's nothing he can do. 30 minutes pass and I told him I needed to speak to a full timer. Full time supervisor spoke to me and told me that a shop steward was paged. He told me I'm entitled "UP TO 10 minutes". He told me "When your supervisor has enough time he'll put you on break".

Fastfastword, I was never given a break. I was never granted a shop steward. When all the loads were clean I asked my supervisor if there was anything else he needed me to do. He told me yes take your break. Keep in mind it was 10:15 PM. Start time was 6:00 PM.

This is ridiculous to me. On top of that I worked through break two weeks ago and was not paid the 10 minutes and it was later corrected.

Any thoughts on how I should handle this next time?

After he gives you this crap. Call him back over and tell him your feeling light headed and need to sit down a few minutes in the office, say about 8 to 10 minutes. Then take your break at the end of the shift.

oldtymer

Beat them to the punch,you probably have a good idea about what time they would send you on your break. About 10 minutes before that tell your supervisor you feel fatigued and need to eat something and take a break, now that you have raised what could be a safety concern he will almost 100% grant you your break. The mice are getting smarter....we need to keep improving the mousetrap!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

It amazes me that certain supplements allow UPS to get away with not allowing breaks for Part-Timers. Every building I've ever been in, a loud buzzer sounds, and the entire part-time sort goes quiet. It's always been this way. In fact, if you are part-timer, and are still working, both union and management workers will get on you here.

No breaks? Where is your hub, Soviet Russia?