Forced?

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in 1989 I applied at UPS because I knew it was a good job, not to satisfy a lifelong desire to become a Teamster.

Resident know-it-all.

It was (and still is) a good job BECAUSE OF THE UNION. Damn you anti union people are stupid. Do you seriously think the company would be paying what they do with the same benefits if it wasn't negotiated with the union?

Ouch

[quote="ChickenLegs, post: 1364645, member: 48823"UPS reward their [office] people so well? They aren't unionized. Is it because they want to attract and maintain the best of the best? Or is it because they were forced to?[/quote]
They also train their office staff to lie, and to disregard the contract. So what does that say about what they are doing?

The reality of it is that, honestly, the amount of money they wanna take for initiation and out of each check is ridiculous, what exactly do they offer for my 100 bucks a month (1200 a year, 1400 w first one) That seems hefty to me for representation to keep my job when all I have to do is work hard and ill be just fine, I don't need their protection, and def not for that cost a month. I don't pay that much to fuel my vehicle in a month which I would assume is much more valuable than whatever it is they offer for that much, seems kinda like extortion to me but hey, what do I know?

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Would you give up your job to go work for fed-x? If so go on now, I'll stay put.
No, because I make more here. Even though I make more, I do believe all full-time employees are overpaid.

That being said, I would withdraw from the union if I could. I do not go into work fearing for my job because I do my job right, and I'm sure to be safe.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
20-years ago the union held its ground against the company. Back when a strike was a reality. Today, UPS knows the Teamsters won't go on strike because no one will support them. No business today is going to support a company that is on strike , they'll move on to the competitor because you're hurting their business now. Also, there would be a line of scabs ready to take your job for half the pay. Keep your delusion that the union has the power --- the only power they have is to take your dues.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
And for the insurance...(thanks to the union)... I could care less. I make more than enough to purchase a family plan from the company or directly from the insurance companies myself. Having "free" crappy insurance is no benefit to me.

Teamcare sucks.

CHALLY9TX

And for the insurance...(thanks to the union)... I could care less. I make more than enough to purchase a family plan from the company or directly from the insurance companies myself. Having "free" crappy insurance is no benefit to me.

Teamcare sucks.

So do you purchase separate insurance?

Sent using BrownCafe App

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
The reality of it is that, honestly, the amount of money they wanna take for initiation and out of each check is ridiculous, what exactly do they offer for my 100 bucks a month (1200 a year, 1400 w first one) That seems hefty to me for representation to keep my job when all I have to do is work hard and ill be just fine, I don't need their protection, and def not for that cost a month. I don't pay that much to fuel my vehicle in a month which I would assume is much more valuable than whatever it is they offer for that much, seems kinda like extortion to me but hey, what do I know?

If you're paying $100/month (which I doubt, you're probably close to that though) then you're a topped out FT driver making about $33/hr right now with a defined benefit pension plan and a health care plan with $0 premiums.

If you think you could negotiate that on your own, I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Go ask a FedEx Ground driver how "negotiating" his wages and fringe benefits as an independent contractor is working for him.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

Teamcare sucks.

TeamCare is definitely a step-down from the UPS company healthcare plan in terms of benefits, but claiming its worse than a healthcare exchange ("Obamacare") plan is being intellectually dishonest.

O

OLDMAN3

$33 per hour
7 weeks paid vacation = $10,395 a year
20 years of pension payout ($3500 a month) = $840,000
Medical, dental and optical insurance for your entire family $???
Union Representation when a overzealous boss wants to fire you...Saving you your job.

I can guarantee you that you will not receive anything close to these kind of benefits working at a non-union delivery company.
Do you think UPS provides these out of the goodness of their hearts? These are hard-fought benefits.
Fed-Ex Ground average salery $28K - $42K a year
UPS Driver full scale $68,000 (no overtime)
UPS Driver full scale $75,000 -$105,000 with overtime
So your $1,200 a year nets you about $40,000 to $60,000 a year in wages alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
$33 per hour
7 weeks paid vacation = $10,395 a year
20 years of pension payout ($3500 a month) = $840,000
Medical, dental and optical insurance for your entire family $???
Union Representation when a overzealous boss wants to fire you...Saving you your job.

I can guarantee you that you will not receive anything close to these kind of benefits working at a non-union delivery company.
Do you think UPS provides these out of the goodness of their hearts? These are hard-fought benefits.
Fed-Ex Ground average salery $28K - $42K a year
UPS Driver full scale $68,000 (no overtime)
UPS Driver full scale $75,000 -$105,000 with overtime
So your $1,200 a year nets you about $40,000 to $60,000 a year in wages alone.
If unions fought so hard for these benefits, how come other companies that aren't unionized have similar, if not better benefits?
Google....Adobe....P&G.....Qualcomm

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
There is an illusion here that the Joe Unions suffer from --- believing the union is necessary.

Walmart even offers their employees insurance. They have to pay a small amount for it, but you can bet it wasn't because some union thug forced them to offer it.

upschuck

Teamcare sucks.
Nobody is stopping you from doing that....buy it...and tat your next office visit, tell them you changed your insurance and give them your new card. My Teamcare is quite good, and am fortunate to have that good of insurance.
If unions fought so hard for these benefits, how come other companies that aren't unionized have similar, if not better benefits?
So they have crappy insurance too? You are making the unions point here. I bet they are paying for it too.

CHALLY9TX

Different industry.......cannot compare UPS with those companies. Fast food companies, walmart, etc........they are not union and they do not make as much as we do. See? I can make illogical comparisons too.

Sent using BrownCafe App