Forcing hourlies to work Saturday??

wornoutupser

A driver was told here today that Saturday is a normal work day under the sixth report langauge.
Everyone with ICC hours available must come to work on Saturday according to management here.
Thoughts anyone?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told it would be handled by air drivers, but we have had outstanding weather. No delays. at all. I was going to work, as i had hours,(I think) I was told I would not be needed, so I have company coming Sat, from KY. So if they need me I cant be there. I tried to plan around it but I was told I would not be needed. If It changes I wont be here, so I dont know what to say.

Griff

I'm probably going to be forced to work. Looks like most of the senior drivers want the day off, so they are gonna force from the bottom up until they meet the number they need.

The real question I have is the time worked issue. I'll be one ticked off SOB if I come in on Saturday and they only have 2 hours of work for me. Can we force them to pay us for our 8 hours or is it different because it will be time and a half already?

U

UPS Guy

I am going to work whatever hours they give me......I mean this is it for UPS....the last day to shine for 2006. I want to make sure all the gifts people have sent are where they should be come Christmas...customers pay good money for our service......if we dont deliver then someone else will....the cusotmers dont care if i work two hours or 10.....thye just want their package. as long as they are happy ....i have a job..........Thank You UPS..........

S

speeddemon

All air drivers will work unless they are out of hours. Full time drivers have the option to work first if the air drivers have reached 40 hours. If there are not enough air drivers to perform the work, then full timers will be forced to work from the bottom up, hours available of course.

Delivered

If they force you to work it is double time for all hours worked and if you report to work you are guaranteed 6 hours.

over9five

Staff member
You are guaranteed 8 hours if you request it. Hours available driving, and then whatever in the building.

I signed up. I'll work whatever they need. Woohooooo, more OT!

Feeder Hawgg

Feeder Hawgg
The way the contract reads is if you are working a sixth report for the week as a full time driver you will be paid at time and a half. Don't feel like the lone stranger, we in management will be there also to get the packages delivered also. Don't forget the ICC hours rules, you can't drive after 60 hours of work for the week, some will have short days others will not. :santa:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I believe we are just running air here Saturday. They asked for volunteers, but darn it, I will be out of hours:clap:

DorkHead

I have 22yrs seniority and I signed the list to work Sat. It`s time and one half, going to be 50 degrees with some rain---- easy money!!!!!!

ragu

Has anyone heard of working on Sunday. I was hoping to maybe work a couple hours just to get out of having to spend time with the relatives.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone heard of working on Sunday. I was hoping to maybe work a couple hours just to get out of having to spend time with the relatives.

I refer to my "in -laws" as the "out-laws". Every holiday I go to one of their gatherings, somebody always gets in a fight and ruins the ocassion. And there are no adult beverages involved. Working would be worth it to miss that!

fatherof4

I'm a temp driver from preload who has to work satyrday, Can I request 8hrs? Will I get time and a half? Friday after thanksgiving I worked and they droped my pay to air driver and I was the only one payed NO time and a half. I filed a grieveance but I havent heard anything back yet.

jccuch

retired & love it !!!!!
wow, dont think you cant be replaced my son, so go out there and give them your 200% thay will love you , but dont friend%#& up or you will get a letter in the mail!! to mr. ups guy!!!!!!!!!

browniehound

I understand UPS, as a company has an operation to run, and they use us hourly employees to run this part of it . And if every hourly had the attittude "Saturday is my day off, why should I have to work", then where do you suppose UPS is to get people to deliver these packages? Management? No, because its teamster work. It sucks as a full-time driver to go through all of peak and then at the end, you're forced to work on the last Saturday(If volume is heavy at other times on Sat. during the year ie:mother's and father's day, why aren't drivers forced on those days. You are always asked to work, but never forced) . But I work for UPS and if they tell me I have to work, I have to work.

To be honest though, it wouldn't worry so much about working the 23rd except for the fact I haven't started my Christmas shopping yet!:w00t: