Forget before... stand with me now!

Senority rules are great for those who have it, but largely unfair to everyone else. When I need a day off and my boss can't just say "sure, go ahead" without asking permission from everyone who has senority above me, I have to question the wisdom. Dramatic rhetoric is not what we need.

If you need a day off,for say a doctors appointment,then seniority is not part of your request. Your sup should be able to take care of you provided you show them the courtesy of letting them know in advance. If it`s for something important to you ,say to attend a wedding, then seniority is not generally part of your request.While the contract says "seniority" it has been past practice to allow someone off for such a situation,but they don`t have to. You should be able to use an optional day or your sup once again can give you the day off but once again give them the courtesy of advance notice so they can plan for your absence. But if two of you have something important on the same day and the sup can only afford to give one the day off,then the higher seniority will get it.

Now if you just want a day off when your center has more workers than it needs for a given day and can cut somebody loose,then yes,seniority prevails and it is your sups best interest to follow the contract and start at the top and work his way down. If a higher seniority wants it,they get it. It`s how it works,it doesn`t have to be fair.

Leftinbuilding

To danny and leftinbuilding what is so crazy and paranoid about this language. Yes i agree my other post are dreams but what is so wrong about enforcing the rules? For damn sure Mgmt. has no problem dropping the hammer on us when we break the rules. My stand is we must use our benefits instead of letting them pass us by. So please explain what is so crazy and paranoid about this post? Please i would love to hear that response because from where im sitting i dont see it!
Section 7. Supervisors Working
(a) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise. Accordingly the Employer agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, except to train employees or demonstrate safety, or as otherwise provided in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum. The employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees. The Employer also agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform bargaining unit work in preparing the work areas before the start of the Employer�s hub, preload or reload operation, nor shall the Employer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have such employee�s work performed by a supervisor or other employees of the Employer who are not a member of the bargaining unit. (b) When additional employees are necessary to complete the Employer�s operations on any shift or within any classification, the supervisor shall exhaust all established local practices to first use bargaining unit employees including applicable, double shifting, early call-in and overtime.

It is not the language that is "crazy and paranoid". Everyone on this forum knows there are contract abuses on BOTH sides. And, I am sure, most have tried to address it at some time. It is YOU coming on here and revealing the contract language as tho you had some revelation from the mountain that is drawing the negative reaction. You seem to think you are going to lead us to the Promised Land. Based on your posts here, you have no leadership skills. Loud does not equal leader. I think you are a frustrated wannabe who uses this forum to compensate for the rejection at your center. The contract language is fine. You? I dunno...........

mikestrek

Teamsters forget my proposals of before and stand with me now!
I and you all see yearly,monthly,weekly,daily,hourly, and secondly violations of our NMA! We need to start a movement of " WE WILL " !
Now hear me out we must band together and enforce what has been agreed upon. When we see mgmt. touching our work we must file. When they send lower senior's home and dont ask from the top we must file. When they let their friends with less seniority pull doubles get overtime etc. we must file. When they dont go by seniority for preffered jobs which is common practice at my hub we must file. I know i am leaving out many of their common violations and feel free to post youre own violations that you personally see.

The most common thing i hear is fear of attacks for sticking to our rights. Fear no more if we stand together on this we can eliminate these problems all together. If UPS has the point driven home that " WE WILL "!
Things will change rapidly for the better. We can no longer look the other way we must look the beast right in the eyes and instill the same fear they have upon us. Finally remember this "WE WILL" and call out all the stewards that are buddy buddy with mgmt. and let them do as they please. We might have to wait until 2013 for change but this is something we can change right now!
Shady Tree, I'm parking my package car under your tree for my hour (not 1/2 hour) Lunch break. I'm doing my part in our little center, I do hope everyone else joins in. This is just about worker rights, This is why we have a UNION.

It is not the language that is "crazy and paranoid". Everyone on this forum knows there are contract abuses on BOTH sides. And, I am sure, most have tried to address it at some time. It is YOU coming on here and revealing the contract language as tho you had some revelation from the mountain that is drawing the negative reaction. You seem to think you are going to lead us to the Promised Land. Based on your posts here, you have no leadership skills. Loud does not equal leader. I think you are a frustrated wannabe who uses this forum to compensate for the rejection at your center. The contract language is fine. You? I dunno...........

180px-Moses041.jpg

"See it says seniority right here."

hyena

Shady Tree, I'm parking my package car under your tree for my hour (not 1/2 hour) Lunch break. I'm doing my part in our little center, I do hope everyone else joins in. This is just about worker rights, This is why we have a UNION.
As am I!

hyena

Please make this easier for us and identify which of your 21st century schzoid personalities is posting on each of your rants. King Crimson

"I know who im for and who im against i pull the shades shut and build me a fence" - Rage Against The Machine?
No, The Night Watchman its Tom Morello from Rage

Last edited: