Former USPS employee, got a couple questions

Bob Loblaw

Have a couple questions. I recently resigned from the post office. Been working there 6 months after moving to Arizona late last year. Just got really disenchanted after going a full month without a day off and some of the supervisors there need lessons in how to talk to people.

I saw a FedEx ad for a "Same Day City Courier" in my city and was going to apply. Does Fedex hire ex USPS employees? What type of hours does a same day city courier work?

Thanks for any advice.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
You will probably be disenchanted at FedEx too.

See, as an employee, it is your job to show up everyday and your supervisors will not always be nice or in a good mood.

You just should have suck it up at the post office.

IMHO, you just made a huge mistake resigning from a good job.

Good jobs don't grow on trees.

Bob Loblaw

Actually, I just noticed this Same Day City Courier is a FedEx Office position. I'm a little confused by all the different Fedex companies.

Bob Loblaw

You will probably be disenchanted at FedEx too.

See, as an employee, it is your job to show up everyday and your supervisors will not always be nice or in a good mood.

You just should have suck it up at the post office.

IMHO, you just made a huge mistake resigning from a good job.

Good jobs don't grow on trees.

I showed up every day on time ready to work. When you see you're scheduled every day of the week with no end in sight and no time to do any personal errands or have any type of life, it gets a little tiresome. Money isn't everything. Another former coworker of mine felt the same way and put in his notice too.

I respect your opinion that it's a good job but that's highly subjective.

It will be fine

I saw a FedEx ad for a "Same Day City Courier" in my city and was going to apply. Does Fedex hire ex USPS employees? What type of hours does a same day city courier work?

There was a same driver in here a few weeks ago. Sounded like it was 8-9 hr days 5 days a week. The job was a lot of driving, 15-20 stops a day and about 200 miles. They do same day pickup and delivery, so they go pick up a package and drive across town to drop it off. He said they were under the express division, but in terms of management all divisions are about the same. At the local level you deal with idiots that have to meet ridiculous numbers imposed by corporate. They aren't allowed to think for themselves, so they just pass on the BS from their bosses to you, but I imagine this is true of middle management everywhere.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I'm a little confused by all the different Fedex companies.
Don't feel bad - been here more than 30 years and I'm confused by all the different FedEx companies as well. There was only one when I started, and now I seem to hear of some stupid new FedEx-What-Ever-the-Hell popping up every other week.

Do yourself a solid - stay away from this circus.

Bob Loblaw

There was a same driver in here a few weeks ago. Sounded like it was 8-9 hr days 5 days a week. The job was a lot of driving, 15-20 stops a day and about 200 miles. They do same day pickup and delivery, so they go pick up a package and drive across town to drop it off. He said they were under the express division, but in terms of management all divisions are about the same. At the local level you deal with idiots that have to meet ridiculous numbers imposed by corporate. They aren't allowed to think for themselves, so they just pass on the BS from their bosses to you, but I imagine this is true of middle management everywhere.

Thanks for the comments. Appreciate it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Have a couple questions. I recently resigned from the post office. Been working there 6 months after moving to Arizona late last year. Just got really disenchanted after going a full month without a day off and some of the supervisors there need lessons in how to talk to people.

Thanks for any advice.

The Same day City Couriers are the folks who drive the little Transit vans and get paid FedEx Office wages...as in very little money. If you hated the USPS, you'll really hate FedEx, and we don't have a union to protect you from predatory management.

Bob Loblaw

The Same day City Couriers are the folks who drive the little Transit vans and get paid FedEx Office wages...as in very little money. If you hated the USPS, you'll really hate FedEx, and we don't have a union to protect you from predatory management.

Does Fedex make you work a month without a day off? As far as not having a union, I really never had any contact with the USPS union. Had no time.

MAKAVELI

Does Fedex make you work a month without a day off? As far as not having a union, I really never had any contact with the USPS union. Had no time.
If you were a union employee then you most likely had some grievance process for scheduling with no days off. Did you exhaust all your grievances? I would have stuck it out if I were you. FedEx is a dead end job with piss poor benefits and no wage progression. If you are young and want to stay in this industry, I'd definitely look at UPS. They have the best pay and benefits in the industry. You have to be willing to put your time in as a part timer , but well worth it in the long run.

l22

Find another industry.
Transportation is an industry that is not known for taking care of it's employees.

This is definitely true. I've only been with the company 5 years but am realizing this now. As Fedex has gotten older, it seems things have really gone downhill - things are being taken from employees left and right. At Fedex Express, you won't have to work Sundays, but you will have to deal with a lot of crap from management (probably just like at USPS), and that's putting it mildly. No matter what managers say or present you with, just tell yourself everyday: "I need to be home safe today" and make sure YOU do what it takes to ensure that that happens.

I'd think about finding another industry - I know I am. Or if you can get in with Express, take whatever tuition reimbursement you can get from them and go to school and/or become a RTD when you can apply to be one so you can get your CDL, which they will pay for.

TheKid99

I wish I still had my job at the post office I would've been a regular city carrier by now. Left to go to fedex now I'm at UPS. You will regret leaving. I guarantee it.