Forum issues?

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had an account my Dad accidentally set me up for. I de-activated it. All the crying about confidentiality, or whatever the case was. A few people here have asked me about it. I imagine I will have to re-activate because everyone is using it. a few people heree have asked me about it. You can get coupons for liking something. Go figure.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm still not sure what the +1 google thing is. Anyone know?
Did you watch the video I posted? That's the official google pr explanation.

When you search on google you can see if a site has any +1's, which is supposed to lend more credence to a particular search result. Since Google displays so many sites, these little +1's are supposed to help you sift out the lame sites.

P

pickup

taken from google's privacy regulations page:

[h=3]Information we collect and how it is shared[/h]The Google +1 button is a way for you to share information publicly with the world. The Google +1 button helps you and others receive personalized content from Google and our partners. The fact that you +1’d something will be recorded by Google, along with information about the page you were viewing when you clicked on the +1 button. Your +1’s may appear to others as an annotation with your profile name and photo in Google services (such as in search results or on your Google Profile) or elsewhere on websites and ads on the Internet.
We will record information about your +1 activity in order to provide you and other users with a better experience on Google services.
In order to use the Google +1 button, you need to have a public Google Profile visible to the world, which at a minimum includes the name you chose for the profile. That name will be used across Google services and in some cases it may replace another name you’ve used when posting content under your Google Account. We may display your Google Profile identity to people who have your email address or other identifying information.

So basically, if you have a google profile (which I don't) linked to your real name, and you are the sort that doesn't want UPS to know what you are doing on this browncafe website, I would strongly advise not to hit the button or for that matter, link your facebook page up to this site as well.

It's just a matter of time before these companies such as Facebook and Google start selling your personal info andphone numbers and I.P. addresses to interested parties.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
So basically, if you have a google profile (which I don't) linked to your real name, and you are the sort that doesn't want UPS to know what you are doing on this browncafe website, I would strongly advise not to hit the button or for that matter, link your facebook page up to this site as well.

It's just a matter of time before these companies such as Facebook and Google start selling your personal info andphone numbers and I.P. addresses to interested parties.
I agree with you 100% about being cautious when using social networking sites. Social networking lures people into sharing way too much personal info. It is also notorious for "accidentally" leaking personal info. Facebook in Privacy Breach - Wall Street Journal , Facebook, MySpace Confront Privacy Loophole - Wall Street Journal

From the Electronic Frontier Foundation:

Sites like Facebook and Twitter provide users with a place to share personal information with friends, family, and the public — an activity that's proven to be hugely compelling to Internet users. In response to the demand, technology is evolving to encourage the disclosure of information that was formerly discreet (like location), and to enable the sharing of information even when not sitting in front of a traditional computer (like from mobile phones).

But it doesn't take much forethought to realize that there are countless privacy pitfalls in a world where a near-endless stream of personal bits is indiscriminately posted, indefinitely stored, and quietly collected and analyzed by marketers, identity thieves, and professional government snoops in America and abroad. The public controversies that have erupted to date — Facebook's drastic terms of service changes and Google Buzz's forced sharing of email contacts — are only the first snares in a rapidly growing thicket of social networking privacy issues.

I have facebook, google and twitter accounts but have not entered any personal info in my accounts, there's nothing in my personal profiles other than my name, general location and pics. (How to Disable Facebook's Facial Recognition Feature, Courtesy of the EFF) I have heard that tech saavy users recommend that their friends and family not ever use any info on social networking sites, use only fake names, info, etc.

We do offer facebook connect for this site so I am familiar with fb's policy of funneling their member's profile info to affiliated sites. Just in case anyone wonders I have never collected any of the personally identifiable data that is offered to this site by fb. My decision not to collect that data is deliberate, but you can bet that there are many other sites that use facebook likes or facebook connect that are eager to collect as much of your profile data as they can get.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I had an account my Dad accidentally set me up for. I de-activated it. All the crying about confidentiality, or whatever the case was. A few people here have asked me about it. I imagine I will have to re-activate because everyone is using it. a few people heree have asked me about it. You can get coupons for liking something. Go figure.

If you do e-mail, I don't see the reason to have facebook. I can e-mail anyone I want and the people I want to know where I am, already have my e-mail address and they can e-mail me. Of course, I'm still trying to think of a reason why people have cell phones and feel they can't run to the store without "contact".

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sweet! Can I add you as a friend?

Yes!

How'd your Dad do that?

It's to rate the people on this site. :wink2:

Did you watch the video I posted? That's the official google pr explanation.

When you search on google you can see if a site has any +1's, which is supposed to lend more credence to a particular search result. Since Google displays so many sites, these little +1's are supposed to help you sift out the lame sites.
I just one'd this post!
See. I knew there was a reason I de-activated my account!!
Did I already say AWWW?

If you do e-mail, I don't see the reason to have facebook. I can e-mail anyone I want and the people I want to know where I am, already have my e-mail address and they can e-mail me. Of course, I'm still trying to think of a reason why people have cell phones and feel they can't run to the store without "contact".
You and me both, sistah!

over9five

Staff member
At the top of the page hit "Settings".

On the left options, hit "General Settings".

Near the bottom, is it set to "Enhanced Interface"? If not, set it to this.

Try that for starters Dilli and Moreluck!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
That was weird. Apparently there's a bug in vbulletin's new mobile style that kills the editor.

It should work now for the full site now but the mobile style may not work right... sorry.