Forum Trolls

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
It appears that last night, David the Loyal Mexican started a half-dozen SN and conversed with them for the purpose of spamming the forums; some of his postings were taken seriously. I can handle ignoring a troll or two, but seriously, this dude's taken this to new heights. Never mind the fact that this 19yo has nothing better to do, especially on a summer Saturday evening in San Diego (isn't the drinking age in Tijuana like 0?).

Can we attempt to restore the integrity of the forums (whatever it may be -- and no, not that integrity) and ban his IP?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Devnullmail.com is just a domain used by one of the anonymous throw away webmail sites. You can use mailboxes on that type of site without registering or logging in.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Devnullmail.com is just a domain used by one of the anonymous throw away webmail sites. You can use mailboxes on that type of site without registering or logging in.
We've already banned about 150 throw away email domains. That one wasn't on the ban list, it is now. It's tough to keep up with those since some of the sites switch email domains every 2 days.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
We've already banned about 150 throw away email domains. That one wasn't on the ban list, it is now. It's tough to keep up with those since some of the sites switch domains every 2 days.
Looks like it has become a full time job, just dealing with the trolls.
How bout the newest one, Juan Diego?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Ahh, to be young again, have no responsibilities, and too much free time to sit around and create troll names. She banned Juan Diego, and it looks like it's going to be a wac-a-mole day for Cheryl. Another one has already popped up.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
It appears that last night, David the Loyal Mexican started a half-dozen SN and conversed with them for the purpose of spamming the forums; some of his postings were taken seriously. I can handle ignoring a troll or two, but seriously, this dude's taken this to new heights. Never mind the fact that this 19yo has nothing better to do, especially on a summer Saturday evening in San Diego (isn't the drinking age in Tijuana like 0?).

Can we attempt to restore the integrity of the forums (whatever it may be -- and no, not that integrity) and ban his IP?

I have nothing to do with davidnex/jazzhands or loyal teamster (in bill Clinton's voice). Although I might joke around and call myself a troll here and there, it should not be taken seriously, its a joke. But most of the time, my posts are productive. I agree with you that davidnex has really taken it up the notch. I wouldn't do something that childish and create many troll accounts and flood the site(especially on a Saturday night lol).

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We've already banned about 150 throw away email domains. That one wasn't on the ban list, it is now. It's tough to keep up with those since some of the sites switch email domains every 2 days.

Thanks for your efforts cheryl; I'm sorry that you even have to deal with these types of situations. But he continues to register accounts, with the newest being "LT is my hero." Given that Loyal Teamster, davidmex and you aint even know it are the same person behind all these accounts, wouldn't it be fair to ban his trio of "master" SN as well as block his IP range from registering new accounts (or his he using a proxy)? Again, I think it's sickening you have to deal with these types of situations, but his continued spamming of the forums will chase many away -- including some addicts like myself.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Thanks for your efforts cheryl; I'm sorry that you even have to deal with these types of situations. But he continues to register accounts, with the newest being "LT is my hero." Given that Loyal Teamster, davidmex and you aint even know it are the same person behind all these accounts, wouldn't it be fair to ban his trio of "master" SN as well as block his IP range from registering new accounts (or his he using a proxy)? Again, I think it's sickening you have to deal with these types of situations, but his continued spamming of the forums will chase many away -- including some addicts like myself.
He who ??

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Ahh, to be young again, have no responsibilities, and too much free time to sit around and create troll names. She banned Juan Diego, and it looks like it's going to be a wac-a-mole day for Cheryl. Another one has already popped up.

I gotta admit, when I was 19 I didn't have much of a life either... but c'mon, trolling Internet forums on a summer weekend, really?

I occupied my time by working three jobs. Maybe that's David's problem. House boi or Tijuana cartel wanna be might be a good gig for him.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
He who ??

David (with a common Mexican surname)*, the guy behind Loyal Teamster, davidmex, you aint even know it, and a host of other troll names that have been banned in recent months, including the plethora created yesterday/today.

*Apparently, it's a nickname he uses. His real name should make us contact the San Diego-area UPS hub and have I-9's confirmed. Although doing so may shut the place down...

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
David (with a common Mexican surname)*, the guy behind Loyal Teamster, davidmex, you aint even know it, and a host of other troll names that have been banned in recent months, including the plethora created yesterday/today.

*Apparently, it's a nickname he uses. His real name should make us contact the San Diego-area UPS hub and have I-9's confirmed. Although doing so may shut the place down...

Can you please quit jumping to assumption. I have nothing to do with them, although you'll never believe me.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

I've run a number of large forums and in my experience it is virtually never trolls but rather one guy or occasionally a guy and his buddy.

Most forum troublemakers fall into one of a few categories.

First type is a low skill-level person who just spams forums with nonsense posts, floods forums with a large number of threads and/or registers several usernames. Typically an immature person, usually young.

Type two is not as obvious in trying to create problems. His posts will disturb a forum and rile people up without being obvious. This person is typically more intelligent than type one and often not as young.

Type three...this person straight up attacks a forum looking to exploit vulnerabilities, either by brute force attacks/dos/ddos, sql injection/cross site scripting to obtain control, assume established forum identities or cause destruction of database(s) or files.

All three types typically just do it for fun. Types 1 & 2 do it mostly for entertainment whereas type 3 typically sees it as a game/challenge or has a grudge against the site.

The problem is that you can't really stop them if the person knows what they're doing. If they connect via a proxy they can change their IP address at will and as such can just keep registering new user accounts. The only real way to stop it is to set registration to manual approval which for a larger forum is a real headache and if the person registers from a mainstream email domain and a believable screen name you can't tell real from fake. If you get to a point where you suspend all new registrations the person has essentially won because they've caused you to shut down registrations.

Cheryl has blocked most of the throw away mail domains, but if the person spends a few extra minutes to register a yahoo, gmail etc they can still register...and new throw away domains popup all the time.

My theory is that we have one tool registering all these usernames fitting the type 1/2 profiles suggesting the person isn't terribly intelligent or technically savvy, however the most recent throw away domain used was devnullmail.com. That in itself doesn't mean anything, however the use of that specific domain means that there is a chance the person has at least a basic programming or technical background as /dev/null symbolizes "nothing" in programming/systems administration. If you wanted the output of something to get trashed or go nowhere you would point it to /dev/null....

moreluck

golden ticket member
I am totally oblivious to the background stuff......being on the cusp when computers came on the scene to the public is a blessing, I guess.