FO's In Extended Areas

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Curious how this works in other stations but customers outside the intown areas are getting screwed by late deliveries of FO product because the budget or the numbers crunch won't allow any couriers to deliver to far away locations even though WE ARE SUPPOSED TO. Very typical FedEx fashion to put the cart before the horse. FO's are brought back from one of the drivers and dumped on the couriers doing the P1 respective areas. In most cases these cannot be made by commitment times without majorly screwing up the whole route. The managers seem to expect miracles when it comes to this and they have no idea how this is gonna affect service all day. If this company wants to charge customers what they do for FO's then they better be prepared to do this properly and I wish more customers would file claims on these. Seems like the only times the mangers will send an FO driver to Timbucktoo is when were having an audit (imagine that.) So how's this working at other locations?

StuffItFred

Our station doesn't even send them out with an FO driver. They just get dumped on the route that has that P1 area. Major cluster friend! Managers expect drivers to still make them before attempting P1's. Even if it means bypassing 10 P1 stops. Makes sense. :knockedout:

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

My station is a little different. We have extended FO routes that do the deliveries and in the off chance that they don't get delivered, if they can make it back before the P1's start, then they drop it to the driver in that area. My station has probably 40% give or take extended areas. I miss those FO's. 2 hour drive somedays for 1 stop, then 2 hours back. Lots of windshield time.

Cactus

Our station doesn't even send them out with an FO driver. They just get dumped on the route that has that P1 area. Major cluster friend! Managers expect drivers to still make them before attempting P1's. Even if it means bypassing 10 P1 stops. Makes sense. :knockedout:
Even if the FO delivery makes it on time, then P1 or even P2 service suffers. As we've said before the service is only as good as what Fred is willing to pay for and he's obviously not willing to pay enough.

whenIgetthere

My station now has the extended areas FO deliveries done out of a station closer to the ramp. The extended routes took them themselves, but with all the P1 lates, things were changed a few months back. The ramp is closer to some of those areas than we are. Problem is, they could have had one employee here do those areas, instead, the other station has one employee for those.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We've had success calling recipients and getting approval for Code 17's. Otherwise they usually go out with the P1 dels and get delivered late. There are exceptions the vast majority fit 1 or those 2 categories.

Express Courier

My station is a little different. We have extended FO routes that do the deliveries and in the off chance that they don't get delivered, if they can make it back before the P1's start, then they drop it to the driver in that area. My station has probably 40% give or take extended areas. I miss those FO's. 2 hour drive somedays for 1 stop, then 2 hours back. Lots of windshield time.

That's us too. We have FO drivers that will put on 200+ miles in a day for a handful of deliveries.

SmithBarney

Face it FO service is pure profit, currently PM areas are serviced FO drivers, but sometimes by their regular CRRs if it is on the close end
and can be made without bypassing much or any.
But for now, take that FO and all the OT it generates for you, and keep on rolling.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Face it FO service is pure profit, currently PM areas are serviced FO drivers, but sometimes by their regular CRRs if it is on the close end
and can be made without bypassing much or any.
But for now, take that FO and all the OT it generates for you, and keep on rolling.

Exactly exactly exactly!!!!

The margin on FO freight is insane.

Cactus

Exactly exactly exactly!!!!The margin on FO freight is insane.
And the service level is below acceptable. Yet these big profits got right to Fred's wallet. And then you and your cheerleading skills give it the endorsement that make the rest of us wanna puke.