foul play?

caponi

We have a feeder driver in our local trying to take his name off the qualified feeder list after only fulfilling only 1 year of feeder driving. The contract clearly states you need to have at least 2 years of driving after completeing UPS feeder school before taking name off the list. Reason for this driver trying to squirrel out of his obligated time is because he will be forced to drive over 3 hours personal time daily to go back and forth to the forced bid job. The driver in question is a trustee in our local union and has all the backing of the union boys. Their argument is that the driver was working for a year and got bumped out of feeder classification 2 years ago and they state that his 2 year obligation is over.

Tell him to quit if he doesn`t want to drive. I`ve driven at least an hour each way ,even when I was part time, for the last 24 years. Go to work or go home.

caponi

Tell him to quit? He is in the process of collusion with the teamsters local president (a UPS driver) to prematurely remove his name from feeder list so he can still deliver packages. This guy aint gonna quit his job,,,,

705red

Browncafe Steward
We have a feeder driver in our local trying to take his name off the qualified feeder list after only fulfilling only 1 year of feeder driving. The contract clearly states you need to have at least 2 years of driving after completeing UPS feeder school before taking name off the list. Reason for this driver trying to squirrel out of his obligated time is because he will be forced to drive over 3 hours personal time daily to go back and forth to the forced bid job. The driver in question is a trustee in our local union and has all the backing of the union boys. Their argument is that the driver was working for a year and got bumped out of feeder classification 2 years ago and they state that his 2 year obligation is over.
If your last sentence is true and he has been driving 3 years since going into feeder would that not be above the 2 year minimum?

caponi

705red sry red he drove 1 year as a feeder driver got bumped to package car for the next 2 years while a junior feeder driver did the travel "forced" job. Now that the junior feeder driver did his 2 years he took his name of qualified list. Makes this feeder driver in question junior (forced) driver.

caponi

Johney..... by all means did everyone that took the last 2 feeder schools new that the travel job was a forced junior job. but when push comes to shove...why not try and use your elected union position for your own personal gain... again the "forced" travel job consist of a round trip 3+ hour personal commute daily... on top of the 10 to 12 hour feeder run. The personal $$$ loss is huge w/ $3 gallon gas for 2 years...never mind the strain on quality of family life

705red

Browncafe Steward
I see Red.......contract states clearly 2 years of driving as a FEEDER driver.
If he was laid off as a feeder driver for 2 years and drove for 1 year prior to being laid off, would his feeder seniority not be 3 years?

That's like saying a laid off package driver who has 1 year of seniority, would not be entitled to his/her progression raises while they where performing work in another classification.

I don't see someone using their power to gain anything extra. I see the contract being upheld and feel an apology should be directed at these individuals. Its not easy being a steward! Especially when people jump to conclusions.

caponi

your explanation does shine light on his argument and i do repect your position as a steward. But...the contract clearly states that "the employee has been on the list working as a tractor trailer driver for a period of 2 years" not laid of or working another classification such as package car. hypothetically speaking what if I were to get a "local" job for 1 week and our districts got all reorganized and they cut 3 feeder runs from our local and i get bumped back to package car......do you think 2 years later i can approach feeder manager and tell him to take my name off the list "my 2 years are up" ? after working 1 week?
1 month?
1 year?
contract states 2 years.....black and white
not being disrespectful red to you or my fellow union officials
my problem is right now that i have a very very good arguement upholding the contract and I have no union representation at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do I do?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
your explanation does shine light on his argument and i do repect your position as a steward. But...the contract clearly states that "the employee has been on the list working as a tractor trailer driver for a period of 2 years" not laid of or working another classification such as package car. hypothetically speaking what if I were to get a "local" job for 1 week and our districts got all reorganized and they cut 3 feeder runs from our local and i get bumped back to package car......do you think 2 years later i can approach feeder manager and tell him to take my name off the list "my 2 years are up" ? after working 1 week?
1 month?
1 year?
my problem is right now that i have a very very good arguement upholding the contract and I have no union representation at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do I do?

From what I have learned, the union will sell you down the river; because when the two sides went to the pow-wow, the language was negotiated differnetly than what you would and most normal people would perceive to be the correct read. :peaceful:

It is B.S. and seemingly unlawful but that is where your dues and d.r.i.v.e go.

over9five

Staff member
HERE, if you take UPS Feeder school, you owe Feeders two years. HOWEVER, if you get bumped from Feeders, the two year clock is still running. If that driver worked HERE, his two year commitment is over.

705red

Browncafe Steward
your explanation does shine light on his argument and i do repect your position as a steward. But...the contract clearly states that "the employee has been on the list working as a tractor trailer driver for a period of 2 years" not laid of or working another classification such as package car.

Does the contract state "not laid of or working another classification such as package car"? Probably not. We dont have that language here. Here we must go to tractor driving school for 1 week on our own time or use optional week. But I do know that an employees seniority still continues in the department that they are laid off from during that lay off.

hypothetically speaking what if I were to get a "local" job for 1 week and our districts got all reorganized and they cut 3 feeder runs from our local and i get bumped back to package car......do you think 2 years later i can approach feeder manager and tell him to take my name off the list "my 2 years are up" ? after working 1 week?

Yes, because your feeder seniority reverts back to your 1st day of work in the feeder department.
1 month? Yes
1 year? Yes
Lets say that you work 1 month in feeder and get laid off out of feeder and the lay off last 5 years. Is it fair to you to have to go another 23 additional months in feeder because you were laid off? Would you have not at least put in your 2 years if not laid off?

I am sorry, I do not see your argument. I do not have the same language that you do regarding feeder school. However seniority is the only thing that any of us have at this company and seniority prevails in all instances.

caponi

I am sorry, I do not see your argument. I do not have the same language that you do regarding feeder school. However seniority is the only thing that any of us have at this company and seniority prevails in all instances.

Thank you Red for reply

actually I am the senior emplyee in this instance. It is the junior employee trying to get out of his contractual agreement. which would make me the junior employee on the "forced" travel job. His seniorty has been increasing with package car time as well as mine is. our contract states again.....you need to work as a trailer driver for 2 years!!!!!!!!!!!
not a package car driver..........oh bty we dont have different classification seniorty lists here. your package car and feeder seniority dates are both in the same. sorry for the confusion

Big Babooba

HERE, if you take UPS Feeder school, you owe Feeders two years. HOWEVER, if you get bumped from Feeders, the two year clock is still running. If that driver worked HERE, his two year commitment is over.
It's that way here in the better half of the Commonwealth too!:happy-very:

over9five

Staff member
over 9-5 where in your contract does it state the "2 year clock is running"

It probably doesn't, but has now become "past practice".

After you take the school, you owe them 2 years. You made that deal. After one year, THEY cut routes and bump you back to Package. You are available to work Feeders for the two years, why is it your fault they sent you back? How long should this guy have to remain available to finish his two years?
You make the two year deal, two years later you're done.

I see your point tho, I will look at it sometime. I just don't think UPS should be able to hold this over you forever.