Found a new job and dont know what to do...

Alex Romo

Exmachina
So i been working at UPS for almost 5 years(since 2006) now and almost make $14/hr part time in sacramento area and am 22 years old. When i first started there i was planning on staying to become a driver(which at the time was 7 years) now recently i found out that there barley hiring people that started in 1999 which if it goes down by one year each year is 7 years.

Sadly i cant support myself with the part time wage so i been looking for a new job and found a call center hiring at $14/hr and pretty good benefits. I really wish i could stay at UPS but i work twilight shift (5-10:30). I'm trying to switch to the night shift so all those years wont be for a waste but i was told at HR that the night supervisor would accept me but the HUB supervisor isn't approving any sort of transfers.

I know if i stay at UPS it will be worth it ill have a secure job but i cant live off of part time I have to work at night so i can get a decent 2nd job. So what do you guys think should i stay or quit is the wait actually worth it?

Oh and by the way the reason why i would even work at a call center is so i can gain customer service experience because i am a certified pharmacy technician and nobody is hiring me right now because i have no customer service experience

and also another side question i want to take the FMLA but i cant find out any excuse to do so . The reason is so i can take it and but the time i come back it will be peak season and they wont have an excuse to not transfer me to the night shift.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If it were me I would sit down with the Hub supervisor, explain your situation, tell him what your plans are and ask him for his help. It would be a shame to lose all of your time but I can certainly understand that it is hard to pay the bills on a PT wage.

Your mention of FMLA both confused and disappointed me. FMLA was established to allow employees to take an unpaid leave of absence to help care for a family member. What you are suggesting is fraud.

http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/glp/25988/FMLA-intermittent-leave.html

John19841

I don't know what area you live in nor the cost of living there, but $14//hr full time isn't exactly a lot of money. It's only a matter of time before you start looking again for another job because that just isn't cutting it either. I know, I was there for a long time. You just need to weigh your options. Once you get in at the call center, where are you going to go from there? Those places are always hiring, they're like a revolving door....There is a reason for this.

If you were asking for my advice, I'd tell you to take on another part time job. Deliver newspapers, Landscaping, Wait tables, etc....All things you can do under the table. Find a part time job that pays $10/hr cash and it'd be like making $14 anyway. You'd have your full time money, and you job, benefits, and pension with UPS.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd get a budy, a truck and a lawnmower. Work nights at UPS for some cash and the benefits, and start a business.

Johney

Sad as it may seem UPS would most likely let you slip away and start a new guy at a cheaper wage less bennies. You can try what Upstate said and talk to your manager but I'd be surprised if it got you what you needed as he would have to go to his boss and so on.... you get the point. Also FMLA requires a Dr. to sign off so unless you have a legitimate claim forget it. Good luck with your choice.

UPSGUY72

Before you make a decision you need to remember that if you quit you will most likely (99%) be put on the no rehire list meaning that you will have no chance of working for UPS again if your other job doesn't work out.

If they won't let you switch shifts grieve it. In our supplement which is different that your they have to let up to 25% of the partimers switch shifts a year. You probably have some language like this in your supplement. Don't quit talk to your steward or ba and get them involved.

hdkappler

stay with up parttime,join the navy reserve,or air forceres,coast guard marine,or army reserve.work there part-time and retire after 20 yrs,know a guy at my old center that's in reserve active at least 15 yrs.if not join the service retire in 20years.30 day vacation,free med,dental,free place to sleep plus free meals.if i was 18 again i would join the service stay 20 years.if married they take care ofyour familyalso.or stay single till 38,then you would have some money saved up.you could save 15%in 401k.in the service.

JonFrum

Make sure the call center operation won't be moved to a Third World country some time after they hire you.

Tell your HUB Supervisor that you are entitled to switch shifts so long as there's a position available. Show him this language . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
. . . The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.