Founders Day 2009~ What is the Status of the Management "Partnership"

Black_6_Leader

For those that have ever been recipients of the MIP (Management Incentive Plan), on the day you received your first award, you were handed a certificate of some type with the following stetement on it:

To correctly describe a United Parcel Service Partner, the calendar of time would have to be reversed to completely capture what was in the hearts and minds of our Company's founder and early pioneers.

A UPS partner feels this spirit, yet finds difficulty to fit the words to properly convey and perpetuate the dreams and ideals of "Men of High Motives and Honest Hearts.

This, therefor is a modest attempt to remind our Partners of some of those qualities that must be acquired, maintained and preserved by each and every Partner.

I do not work for anyone in our Company. I work with my Partners and with everyone else in United Parcel Service. We are not merely co-workers in our Company, but we are friends working toward a common goal.

I work for the success of the entire Company rather than for my own personal gain or advantage. I give the benefit of my knowledge and experience to each of my Partners. I want to help them as I know they will help me.

To me, "Service Comes First" I am dedicated to serving others, -- All of our People--All of our Customers --All of our Business Contacts --and All of the People in the Community. I perform this act of Service with sincerity and honest purpose.

The financial stability and the future profitable success of our Company are assured when my dedication to Service is performed with the thought of "giving" rather then "receiving.

I believe in the policies of United Parcel Service. I know what they are; I know what they mean; I adhere to them and administer them to the best of my ability.

Being a partner means "Sharing in All Things". I share in the elation of our successes and I share grave concern when we fail.

Being a Partner is a way of life. When I was chosen to become a Partner, I know my future was ordained. There is no other path for me.

I must continually earn my right to this Partnership. My continuance as a Partner is annually re-affirmed after my efforts and my contribution as a Partner have been evaluated. If my Partnership status status is renewed, I know this has happened through the effort and results obtained in the performance of my specific responsibilities and in my overall performance as a Partner.

I must continually strive for better personal performance. As I grow in my job I know that the opportunities for new partners are occurring. Just as I was at one time a perspective Partner, I must go forward and lead and assist our newer Partners in assuming their role of a true Partner.

I have a voice in determining the future course of our Company. The management climate in our company is such that I can and should speak out on matters that pertain to our common welfare. I know that I will be heard; I know that my comments will be heard with respect.

Throughout the years of this partnership I look with confidence toward my own personal well-being. I know that as the Company grows and prospers the financial future of my family and my loved ones is assured.

I pledge, now and for the future, to always be worthy of the trust and confidence of my fellow Partners.

These and other qualities of a Partner are my guide for now and for the future. My adherence to these guide lines can well be my legacy for the newer Partners to come.

So here we are on theis founders day, 102 years after Jim Casey and "a few messenger boys" began the business known as UPS today. Anyone wish to assess the status of that "partnership" today??

slantnosechevy

I don't think you could find one person working at UPS who doesn't have a few knife wounds in their back. The Policy Book went from being the bible to," Oh, it's just a guideline." I think when some from this company get to the pearly gates, there'll be a short guy dressed in a suit and carrying that said Policy Book standing next to St.Peter. He's gonna be giving out some beatdowns before he sends them downstairs.

brownone

Jim Casey turns over in his grave when he looks at the way ******** Scott Davis runs the company. Davis has no clue what partnership is and never will. He is typical accounting nerd and is all about Scott. FEDEX shares continue to move up and ours stay stagnent. It is time for a real CEO.:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:

JustTired

free at last.......
For those that have ever been recipients of the MIP (Management Incentive Plan), on the day you received your first award, you were handed a certificate of some type with the following stetement on it:

To correctly describe a United Parcel Service Partner, the calendar of time would have to be reversed to completely capture what was in the hearts and minds of our Company's founder and early pioneers.

A UPS partner feels this spirit, yet finds difficulty to fit the words to properly convey and perpetuate the dreams and ideals of "Men of High Motives and Honest Hearts.

This, therefor is a modest attempt to remind our Partners of some of those qualities that must be acquired, maintained and preserved by each and every Partner.

I do not work for anyone in our Company. I work with my Partners and with everyone else in United Parcel Service. We are not merely co-workers in our Company, but we are friends working toward a common goal.

I work for the success of the entire Company rather than for my own personal gain or advantage. I give the benefit of my knowledge and experience to each of my Partners. I want to help them as I know they will help me.

To me, "Service Comes First" I am dedicated to serving others, -- All of our People--All of our Customers --All of our Business Contacts --and All of the People in the Community. I perform this act of Service with sincerity and honest purpose.

The financial stability and the future profitable success of our Company are assured when my dedication to Service is performed with the thought of "giving" rather then "receiving.

I believe in the policies of United Parcel Service. I know what they are; I know what they mean; I adhere to them and administer them to the best of my ability.

Being a partner means "Sharing in All Things". I share in the elation of our successes and I share grave concern when we fail.

Being a Partner is a way of life. When I was chosen to become a Partner, I know my future was ordained. There is no other path for me.

I must continually earn my right to this Partnership. My continuance as a Partner is annually re-affirmed after my efforts and my contribution as a Partner have been evaluated. If my Partnership status status is renewed, I know this has happened through the effort and results obtained in the performance of my specific responsibilities and in my overall performance as a Partner.

I must continually strive for better personal performance. As I grow in my job I know that the opportunities for new partners are occurring. Just as I was at one time a perspective Partner, I must go forward and lead and assist our newer Partners in assuming their role of a true Partner.

I have a voice in determining the future course of our Company. The management climate in our company is such that I can and should speak out on matters that pertain to our common welfare. I know that I will be heard; I know that my comments will be heard with respect.

Throughout the years of this partnership I look with confidence toward my own personal well-being. I know that as the Company grows and prospers the financial future of my family and my loved ones is assured.

I pledge, now and for the future, to always be worthy of the trust and confidence of my fellow Partners.

These and other qualities of a Partner are my guide for now and for the future. My adherence to these guide lines can well be my legacy for the newer Partners to come.

So here we are on theis founders day, 102 years after Jim Casey and "a few messenger boys" began the business known as UPS today. Anyone wish to assess the status of that "partnership" today??

Ah yes.......the good old days. I'm sure there was a time when those words meant something. Not in these days of greed and backstabbing.

Maybe it would be a good thing if while the drivers are busy learning the 10-pt. commentary and the like.....management was required to memorize and actually practice the above.

Hey.......a person can dream!!

pretzel_man

Jim Casey turns over in his grave when he looks at the way this maroon Scott Davis runs the company. Davis has no clue what partnership is and never will. He is typical accounting nerd and is all about Scott. FEDEX shares continue to move up and ours stay stagnent. It is time for a real CEO.:angry:

Did you know that when Jim Casey resigned as CEO, he turned over the reigns to an "accounting nerd"?

That's right. George Smith was an accountant, the father of I.E. at UPS, and was recruited from the outside. One could argue that he was our most successful CEO.

In his first five years, the company grew 2 1/2 times.

Go and read Casey's writing on the subject.

P-Man

Did you know that when Jim Casey resigned as CEO, he turned over the reigns to an "accounting nerd"?

That's right. George Smith was an accountant, the father of I.E. at UPS, and was recruited from the outside. One could argue that he was our most successful CEO.

P-Man

When did his first five years occur?

pretzel_man

When did his first five years occur?

In 1962, Casey transferred responsibility to George Smith. Here are Casey's words:

"I began many years ago to transfer my executive responsibilities to George D. Smith. In recent years he has been our chief executive in nearly every way except as to title. So now it is time for him to have the title, too. It has been decided that he will be Chairman of the Board of Directors, a member of its Executive Committee and Chief Executive of our Company."

Here are Casey's words five years later in 1967:

"Five years have passed since I gave up administrative responsibilities in our company. Since then I have been a spectator, while you and others have managed our affairs.
In those five years we have expanded into new areas comprising about 1,000,000 square miles in 28 states. Sixty-three thousand new customers have been added, and our service has been made more valuable to old and new customers alike. Good jobs have been provided for 15,000 additional people. Many hundreds of new positions in our management organization have been created. Our company does 2½ times as much business as five years ago. In these last five years our total revenue was as much as in the first 54 years of our existence."

P-Man

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Now we get CEO's that don't realize that behind the wheel of the truck is a human being and at the end of each pkg is a customer that would like some delivery consistency.

Now we get CEO's that don't realize that behind the wheel of the truck is a human being and at the end of each pkg is a customer that would like some delivery consistency.
You're right: they don't care about the human part of the equation. Only meeting comically outdated numbers, and reaching obscure corporate goals. The "humans" in the equation are expendable.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

P-Man

I venture to say the growth was more about all of the changes and developments going on in general at that time in commerce etc, not necessarily because of George Smith

thelus

Package Car Whipping Boy
George Smith and Jim Casey no doubt believed in production but the difference between them and Scott Davis is that Casey and Smith knew even though your company needed to have production, people (both employees and customers needed to be treated with respect. Scott Davis sees his employees no differently than the broken, torn boxes that moves through his system.

nhguy

Davis is not an original UPSER, he is an outsider that doesn't have the core values of the long time UPSERS.

In his defense, the problem with the whole world today is that "IT'S' ALL ABOUT ME". This philosophy is prevalent in the hourly and management side. The sad part is that in the last ten years the managemnt folks have given back a ton in terms of benefits, salary, ability to allow them to do their jobs, retirement and much more. The hourly side is just starting to see what the company has been doing to the mangaement folks for some time. It's not about the betterment of the company but rather what have you got for me!!!
Please don't twist this post into a management union conflict because that's not the intent. I should write that book I've titled "It's all about me".

"Remember the big fish always eats the little ones"

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
When was founder's day? Christ, two years in a row now we haven't heard anything about it here. No PCM, No cake, nothing.

pretzel_man

Davis is not an original UPSER, he is an outsider that doesn't have the core values of the long time UPSERS.

"

George Smith and Jim Casey no doubt believed in production but the difference between them and Scott Davis is that Casey and Smith knew even though your company needed to have production, people (both employees and customers needed to be treated with respect. Scott Davis sees his employees no differently than the broken, torn boxes that moves through his system.

Scott Davis has been with UPS for 23 years. Its funny that we then think of him as a short timer.

Lee Iacocca is credited with saving Chrysler. Lou Gerstner is credited with saving IBM. Each were with their respective companies much shorter.

Over the years, I met Scott Davis many times. He's a good, intelligent and decent man. He has never expressed anything other than a belief that people should be treated with respect.

P-Man

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Scott Davis has been with UPS for 23 years. Its funny that we then think of him as a short timer.

Lee Iacocca is credited with saving Chrysler. Lou Gerstner is credited with saving IBM. Each were with their respective companies much shorter.

Over the years, I met Scott Davis many times. He's a good, intelligent and decent man. He has never expressed anything other than a belief that people should be treated with respect.

P-Man
id love to see him or any other high ranking member of corporate come in and assume the role of center manager. i wonder if they could meet there numbers. i think most are very out of touch with the real ups

Catatonic

Nine Lives
id love to see him or any other high ranking member of corporate come in and assume the role of center manager. i wonder if they could meet there numbers. i think most are very out of touch with the real ups

That is not their job.
Their job is to look at our competition, what our customers are willing to pay, projected taxes, etc. and projected earnings.
Then:
Look at the cost to operate our systems and support which if it is too high, authorize management to reduce the costs accordingly.
Theirs is a very sanitized view with few if any details needed to be understood.

I also think Scott could do a pretty good job of running a center.

pretzel_man

First, I absolutely believe they could. There is no question that a center manager's job is hard, just like a driver's job is hard.

However, this challenge is silly.

- Steve Ballmer from Microsoft can't code.
- The CEO of Boeing (James McNerney) does not have a background in Aeronautics. I doubt he could assemble an airplane.
- Sam Palmisano of IBM is not a technologist. He can't run a technology division.

That's not why they are there.

The same is true for UPS senior leaders.

P-Man