Fraternization with management

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have had friends in management, and we were friends outside of work.
When at work, he/she is my boss. Just the roads we chose.
I will not give up a friendship, because of positions.
Doesnt happen anymore much but if it did, what I do when not at work is my business. (as long as its legal)
Ok I posted before I read it all.
I wouldnt want to work for the same place as my loved one.

satellitedriver

He wants me to do anything that makes me happy......he really doesn't want me to leave but he wants me to make the decision on what to do because all he really wants is to make me happy....
Make both yourselves happy and let the chips fall where they may.
You are young and everything works out over time.

diesel96

Since when does someone need to be told by the Teamsters, UPS, or even the Gov't who, or who you can't associate with. Our forefathers had the foresight to avoid this and millions of americans have given their lives for this freedom so why let someone tell you otherwise.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is not so much the association but the level of this association that is being discussed here. I would think that as long as the lines between manager and employee did not become blurred you should be just fine.

drewed

Shankman
Since when does someone need to be told by the Teamsters, UPS, or even the Gov't who, or who you can't associate with. Our forefathers had the foresight to avoid this and millions of americans have given their lives for this freedom so why let someone tell you otherwise.

Well the reason why UPS can do it is because its a private institution and can set its policies accordingly as long as it doesnt break any laws. They dont force anyone to work for UPS.

dingo52

when i became a sup my Regional Manager told me i couldnt go to lunch or even stop and talk with hourlys any more. I found that to be rediculous and pretty much ignored him. However as soon as rumors came out about me and one of my drivers I was in the bosses office first thing in the morning. Its definitely something to be careful about, even if it is just talking and hanging out.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I will not date a co-worker, much less a manager / supervisor. Too messy. My company has one of those no fraternization policies UPS tries, only this one has teeth. I can not fraternize with my students or I will lose my job. I'm very careful about this and keep our talk confined to subjects / things I SHOULD be asking about (projects, classes and with the guys, career stuff).

I will admit to having struck up a strong (and enduring) friendship with a now former supervisor while we were working for UPS. We kept it professional, quiet and distant at work. I was bowled over when he invited me to his home to celebrate his mother's birthday one Sunday coming out of church. What a guy! Last I heard--2 years ago--he was working in his field (graphic design) in Chicago's West Suburbs. :) -Rocky

sillyputty

We've had sups dating at my building, but they worked opposite shifts. Maybe that's an option?

We do have a lot of the management/favoritism issues- one concerns friendships outside of work, especially where the supervisor has many of his fraternity brothers working under him. Others are when the FT sup is drinking buddies with hourlies. They can say all they want that they can keep their friendships separate from work, but it's pretty obvious when the rules apply different to everyone at work.

well him and i work on seperate belts and don't even make eye contact when we talk at work. we just do what we need to do and after i drive off the parking lot and he follows (about a half an hour later) i call his phone and its.....hey babe! how was your day? we absolutely do not make it look like we are together at work......and we don't even go out in public together.....we just chill at our houses

filthpig

well him and i work on seperate belts and don't even make eye contact when we talk at work. we just do what we need to do and after i drive off the parking lot and he follows (about a half an hour later) i call his phone and its.....hey babe! how was your day? we absolutely do not make it look like we are together at work......and we don't even go out in public together.....we just chill at our houses
I guess the whole thing is is that he can get fired for it while you probably can't. That's the whole thing with management a UPS, they tell you about this before you start.

helenofcalifornia

Am I the only one that thinks water polo chic is putting way too much thought into this? Do it or don't do it, but I am thinking you already know what is the right thing to do.

Upslady20

This is like a soap opera.. get on with your life.. if neither of you really wants a future at UPS then do your job at work.. and date like real people date.. in public.. maybe he likes the fact he can date you if you can call it that and not be seen in public with you.. ok I am going to the corner with Helen...geez.. people