Fred cuts marketing by 25%

kingOFchester

If UPS does not follow Fred, this will certainly be good for UPS. The major companies that survived recessions and even the great Depression, advertised aggresivly during the tough times. I hope UPS see's the big picture and not just the days we are in right now.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree--I would think that 101 years in existence and the extensive marketing campaigns both now and in years past have positioned us well in the marketplace and "putting the brakes on" for a bit may not be a bad move IMO. Besides, how much can Whiteboard guy cost?

kingOFchester

I disagree--I would think that 101 years in existence and the extensive marketing campaigns both now and in years past have positioned us well in the marketplace

If it worked for the last 100 years, then it can't be bad to continue. As far as the whiteboard guy, I agree.....loose him. But I think it would certainly help UPS to continue their marketing. Do a little research on the great depression and companies that advertised.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Lets go back to the tightest ship in the shipping business!!! It showed we were a no nonsense company that could get it done efficiently!!!

kingOFchester

"Companies who made money during the Great Depression included Chevrolet, which overtook Ford for five years beginning in 1931, after trailing Ford sales 10 to 1 during the 1920s. Chevrolet was able to increase sales during the Great Depression by increasing its advertising budget and campaign even during the troubled economy. .....Learn more about companies that advertised to get ahead of competition and thus who made money during the Great Depression. For Camel, their advertisement campaign of the 1930's meant surpassing Lucky and Chesterfield to once again become the top-selling American brand ... despite the poor economy of the Great Depression underway"
http://www.ehow.com/how_4695348_mad...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

"W.K. Kellogg made an unprecedented move as the United States sank into the Great Depression. Instead of cutting back, he doubled his advertising spending - and Kellogg cereal sales increased "
http://www.kellogghistory.com/history.html

Channahon

Commercials during the Super Bowl should be an indication of what companies are doing well and what companies are cutting back on their marketing and advertising dollars. IMO

rod

Retired 22 years
Super Bowl ads are the worst thing you can judge a companies standing on. Look at all the .com's that have went up in smoke that had "cute" Super Bowl ads. Tightest Ship was the best campaign UPS had.

browniehound

I say nix the marketing budget even more than 25%. UPS doesn't need to advertise. We are know to every man, woman and child in the country.

Our customers or potential customers don't use our service because of the guy in the whiteboard commercial. They use our service because of its reputation.

Also I think our ubiquitous brown trucks and drivers in brown shorts makes a person think "I need to send this package so I will use UPS". I don't think the man with the whiteboard has the same effect on the person's mind.

I think UPS should scale back on advertising in certain areas, such as sponsorships (as said in another thread). Keep the white board guy (although I think it's kinda weird), maybe develop another good media campaign with the money saved by loosing NACAR, etc. Let people know that we are aware there is a slow economy and we will do what we can to keep serving them as in past tradition....then do just that.

NJ12hrday

does anyone remember that commercial from a few years ago that had the theme song from chears in it("everyone knows your name"). there were two ladies taking a break watching the driver unload from the rear door. i always liked that one. it showed that we are loved by everybody.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We don't need a billboard on the side of the pkg /car like they started with that globe back in 93 or 94,we gottah get rid of the acorn and go back to the shield.United Parcel Service .................on side of car and feeder.who the hell came up with that stupid acorn??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't need a billboard on the side of the pkg /car like they started with that globe back in 93 or 94,we gottah get rid of the acorn and go back to the shield.United Parcel Service .................on side of car and feeder.who the hell came up with that stupid acorn??

Probably some "nut".