Fred Like To Spend Money, Just Not On Us

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I noticed several significant posts by Cheryl in the last 2 weeks. The first noted that the last FedEx 727 had been retired. This means that enough new aircraft and converted PAX 757s have entered service to allow this to happen. FedEx also announced it was reducing lift capacity to Asia, which undoubtedly freed-up additional aircraft for domestic use.

Next, Fred is buying 1900 Isuzu Reach cargo vans. This is in addition to all of those new Sprinters and Nissans that have been replacing W700s. So, Scrooge CAN spend money, but just not on employees.

That begs the obvious question. Since Fred is letting the moths out of his pocketbook, how will he get them back in? It's been very well-established that Fred gets his money back the same way he always has...from the hourlies. My crystal ball sees even more Draconian measures to recoup the investment in equipment.

It's all rather ironic, because the money Fred is going to save with new, more fuel-efficient planes and vehicles will be more than offset by the losses being piled-up by DRA, accident settlements, high turnover, and general inefficiency of the Express system created by horrible mismanagement.

It's all great fun to watch.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
I noticed several significant posts by Cheryl in the last 2 weeks. The first noted that the last FedEx 727 had been retired. This means that enough new aircraft and converted PAX 757s have entered service to allow this to happen. FedEx also announced it was reducing lift capacity to Asia, which undoubtedly freed-up additional aircraft for domestic use.

Next, Fred is buying 1900 Isuzu Reach cargo vans. This is in addition to all of those new Sprinters and Nissans that have been replacing W700s. So, Scrooge CAN spend money, but just not on employees.

That begs the obvious question. Since Fred is letting the moths out of his pocketbook, how will he get them back in? It's been very well-established that Fred gets his money back the same way he always has...from the hourlies. My crystal ball sees even more Draconian measures to recoup the investment in equipment.

It's all rather ironic, because the money Fred is going to save with new, more fuel-efficient planes and vehicles will be more than offset by the losses being piled-up by DRA, accident settlements, high turnover, and general inefficiency of the Express system created by horrible mismanagement.

It's all great fun to watch.

And not only should you enjoy being overworked so that you can be underpaid...they actually expect you to say "thanks". This company is many things, but competent is not one of them.

HomeDelivery

But the Mercedes are nice. I could get used to one of those.

after driving both sprinters and stepvans, i'd prefer the stepvan nowadays

sliding side doors > swing out doors are safer.

box body of the stepvan means you can brick out the cargo area easier than the narrow-bodied sprinter.

has more elbow room unless you get one of these mercedes vehicles:

640px-UPS_Mercedes_Sprinter.jpg

640px-UPS_Mercedes_Sprinter.jpg

STFXG

Isuzus are a POS? The diesel? Do some research on isuzu diesels... Find me a diesel motor in a step van that's rated higher than the reach.

MAKAVELI

But the Mercedes are nice. I could get used to one of those.

I swear the Mercedes are just Isuzu's with the Benz logo glued on. A comfortable ride but PoS if you ask me.
The Mercedes seem to have a much better build quality than the older Dodge Sprinter. They are also taller and wider with much more cargo room. They also ride like a Cadillac, which is nice when you have some rough roads to drive on all day.

sjh

Next, Fred is buying 1900 Isuzu Reach cargo vans. This is in addition to all of those new Sprinters and Nissans that have been replacing W700s.

Don't beat me up on this question, because I really don't know much about trucks, but could the new fleet be a form of preventative measure? Here in CA we're facing CARB regulations, which require us to retrofit our diesel motors because of the "fatal" emissions they produce. We're slowly replacing our own fleet with non-diesel and Reach's because they're emissions compliant for our state.

Or maybe it's all a looks thing.

MAKAVELI

Next, Fred is buying 1900 Isuzu Reach cargo vans. This is in addition to all of those new Sprinters and Nissans that have been replacing W700s.

Don't beat me up on this question, because I really don't know much about trucks, but could the new fleet be a form of preventative measure? Here in CA we're facing CARB regulations, which require us to retrofit our diesel motors because of the "fatal" emissions they produce. We're slowly replacing our own fleet with non-diesel and Reach's because they're emissions compliant for our state.

Or maybe it's all a looks thing.
That would be the main reason in CA.

caravan42

Have you driven one of those Isuzu's? I hate them.
Me too. They are horrible for us shorter fellows. My left leg has to remain suspended in space, only adding to the already sore knee joints. And what's with the seat back rest, no pivot forward or back adjustment. Your stuck in some crazy leaning forward torture device.