Fred S doubles his pay while planning to cut yours 25%

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Sounds easy doesn't it? The problem is that the Memphis Gang wants you to work like a dog without rewarding you for it. Doesn't matter that you far outperform your coworkers. You are doing what you are supposed to be doing. And you should feel lucky they've given you the right to do it.

Here's the problem.

You go and work your butt off, going above and beyond and stepping it up. You hope that you'll get something extra for it but you often don't (well, not officially HEE HEE). Why not? The slackers start to complain about favoritism and they go running to HR. I'm sure that it varies depending on location, but I've yet to work in a station that didn't mirror the exact scenario I presented.

vantexan

Here's the problem.

You go and work your butt off, going above and beyond and stepping it up. You hope that you'll get something extra for it but you often don't (well, not officially HEE HEE). Why not? The slackers start to complain about favoritism and they go running to HR. I'm sure that it varies depending on location, but I've yet to work in a station that didn't mirror the exact scenario I presented.

Moral of the story in FedEx Bizarro World: work hard with no expectation of reward.

I'll wager I've worked at more stations than you. I've never seen slackers accuse mgmt of favoritism because mgrs like a courier who works much harder than they do. Favoritism is almost always about mgr's personal favorites who get easy assignments and preferential treatment at others' expense. The hard workers, while they may be liked, are the ones who get more and more work dumped on them. No one envies that.

59 Dano

I'll wager I've worked at more stations than you. I've never seen slackers accuse mgmt of favoritism because mgrs like a courier who works much harder than they do. Favoritism is almost always about mgr's personal favorites who get easy assignments and preferential treatment at others' expense. The hard workers, while they may be liked, are the ones who get more and more work dumped on them. No one envies that.

This is what I've seen plenty of. The guy who is busting his butt gets an easy assignment or maybe some other perk in return for his performance. The slackers cry foul and demand that he be treated no better than them.

The big question is, as a manager, how do you keep one of those "good" employees motivated when you literally can't reward him for his exceptional performance? Outside of FedEx I haven't seen many places that stifle managers in this way on this issue.

vantexan

This is what I've seen plenty of. The guy who is busting his butt gets an easy assignment or maybe some other perk in return for his performance. The slackers cry foul and demand that he be treated no better than them.

The big question is, as a manager, how do you keep one of those "good" employees motivated when you literally can't reward him for his exceptional performance? Outside of FedEx I haven't seen many places that stifle managers in this way on this issue.

They need to truly base raises on merit and greatly accelerate hard workers. When others complain tell them if they want the better pay they have to work as hard. With all the reports examining every angle it should be easy to justify better raises for hard work. And hold a mgr accountable up to firing them if they submit an unworthy employee for a better raise. Unfortunately this is wasted typing because I don't believe for a second that FedEx wants to reward anyone no matter how hard they work. Sure a mgr might try to give a little extra, but I don't believe the company in principle wants to give any more pay than they absolutely have to. But will gladly take as much productivity as one is willing to give for free.

That said, once had a senior who rewarded swings in outlying stations by bringing them to his city, putting them up in a nice motel with per diem, and had them run an incredibly easy rt that required very little work beyond taking freight to two domiciles and picking up a dropbox. Got to do it once before transferring. Best senior I ever worked for. When I left got a comatted box with a quality FedEx NASCAR hat with a note thanking me for all the hard work. I'd go to war for that guy. Only left to go to an area with same payscale but no state income tax and lower cost of living. Had to do it over I would've stayed.

Goldilocks

They need to truly base raises on merit and greatly accelerate hard workers. When others complain tell them if they want the better pay they have to work as hard. With all the reports examining every angle it should be easy to justify better raises for hard work. And hold a mgr accountable up to firing them if they submit an unworthy employee for a better raise. Unfortunately this is wasted typing because I don't believe for a second that FedEx wants to reward anyone no matter how hard they work. Sure a mgr might try to give a little extra, but I don't believe the company in principle wants to give any more pay than they absolutely have to. But will gladly take as much productivity as one is willing to give for free.

That said, once had a senior who rewarded swings in outlying stations by bringing them to his city, putting them up in a nice motel with per diem, and had them run an incredibly easy rt that required very little work beyond taking freight to two domiciles and picking up a dropbox. Got to do it once before transferring. Best senior I ever worked for. When I left got a comatted box with a quality FedEx NASCAR hat with a note thanking me for all the hard work. I'd go to war for that guy. Only left to go to an area with same payscale but no state income tax and lower cost of living. Had to do it over I would've stayed.

Van, was that in East Texas? If so, I trained that guy as a courier when he first started, later he became my manager and finally got a Senior position. Great Guy!!

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
They need to truly base raises on merit and greatly accelerate hard workers. When others complain tell them if they want the better pay they have to work as hard. With all the reports examining every angle it should be easy to justify better raises for hard work. And hold a mgr accountable up to firing them if they submit an unworthy employee for a better raise. Unfortunately this is wasted typing because I don't believe for a second that FedEx wants to reward anyone no matter how hard they work.
:youreright:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The FedEx way is to just screw all hourlies.

texan

It is good to give credit to excellent leaders.
Great post.
Bless you and may you do well in the future.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It is good to give credit to excellent leaders.
Great post.
Bless you and may you do well in the future.

But we have crappy leaders who enrich themselves and pay us back with crap gifts and paper BZ's. Going above and beyond at FedEx only means that they continuously expect you to go above and beyond each and every day for nothing in return.

59 Dano

They need to truly base raises on merit and greatly accelerate hard workers. When others complain tell them if they want the better pay they have to work as hard. With all the reports examining every angle it should be easy to justify better raises for hard work. And hold a mgr accountable up to firing them if they submit an unworthy employee for a better raise.

I agree but the losers will cry about favoritism. As usual the dead weight pulls everyone down.

vantexan

But we have crappy leaders who enrich themselves and pay us back with crap gifts and paper BZ's. Going above and beyond at FedEx only means that they continuously expect you to go above and beyond each and every day for nothing in return.

My station has an ops mgr who doesn't mind telling little "fibs" if it gets him what he wants. I'm at this station because he lied to get me here(haven't transferred yet). He gets angry quick if you say anything critical of the company and it's policies. Can't help but feel that his only interest in his employees is in how they can help him advance his career.

We also have an ops mgr who comes across consistently as someone who cares about his employees. He took mgr position here to get back close to family, was a swing. It seems to bother him that we struggle. He leads by example, showed up to run a rt on Saturday after the other mgr called him when he realized he was short a body. Goes around asking how we are, acts genuinely friendly.

Some mgrs find themselves in this system trying to provide a better life for their families. Others seem to thrive on pushing policies that ask more and more from us. There are more of the latter IMO, but I can't condemn them all because quite a few seem troubled by what we're put through.