Fred S, the master of bs.

STFXG

They've been doing it for years. That's how they land in 0 visibility. The pilots are only in there in case of a system failure.

Nolimitz

Keerist. were talking FedEx not the military. These bozos cant even manage to get DRA right let alone a program of AI..... How many trillions would they waste on this hair brained scheme....?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Aircraft already fly thenselves. There's a reason they consider airline pilots systems operators now rather than pilots. There are plenty of automated systems out there that are capable of controlling the aircraft. Fred wants automation so that he can completely empty the cockpit which will give more area in the aircraft to load cargo.

The FAA won't approve the technology for commercial flights because of the liability involved. The military already does this with large aircraft and bombers.

FAA won't approve the technology for pilotless planes because the technology can't handle it. Autoland can't compensate very well for some of the factors that pilots and planes encounter (or at all for others). It can't turn the plane once it's on the runway. Pilots are required to set up and program the system. Autoland works better in some conditions than others.

But most importantly pilots need to be able to land airplanes in case there is a problem with the Autoland system or other there are conditions that limit the system's ability to work safely.

As for automation in general, yes, FedEx will implement it anywhere and everywhere that it possibly can. As it should.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They've been doing it for years. That's how they land in 0 visibility. The pilots are only in there in case of a system failure.

No. The pilots always have the ability to override CAT II or CAT III. The pilots have a decision height at which point they decide whether or not to proceed with the landing.

STFXG

No. The pilots always have the ability to override CAT II or CAT III. The pilots have a decision height at which point they decide whether or not to proceed with the landing.
Right. The pilot makes the call to let the plane land or not. they don't do the actual landing in 0 visibility. The aircraft does it. Someone on the ground can make that call just as easily.

STFXG

FAA won't approve the technology for pilotless planes because the technology can't handle it. Autoland can't compensate very well for some of the factors that pilots and planes encounter (or at all for others). It can't turn the plane once it's on the runway. Pilots are required to set up and program the system. Autoland works better in some conditions than others.

But most importantly pilots need to be able to land airplanes in case there is a problem with the Autoland system or other there are conditions that limit the system's ability to work safely.

As for automation in general, yes, FedEx will implement it anywhere and everywhere that it possibly can. As it should.
Autopilot and an unmanned aircraft are different. The problem with unmanned aircraft has to do with the communication link. Lags when using satellite, or disruptions when using radio frequencies to control the aircraft. There's a controller on the ground operating the aircraft (drones). That's the major safety issue right now with the technology.

The lack of a human in the cockpit leads to problems with current FARs covering visual flight rules. In some airspace IFR rules are not a requirement. The rules for spacing are contingent on the pilots being able to see and avoid each other. This limits the ability of UAVs to operate legally within that airspace.

MechLift

He mentioned the possibility of more automated package-delivery trucks on the road within 10 years, something he described as “a good thing” because of the assumption they’ll drive slower and make fewer mistakes as a result of human error.

And hopefully once artificial intelligence advances adequately we will avoid some of the errors of resources and morale FedEx management has concocted; early over expansion in Europe, contracting McKinsey to implement pay-for-performance, way over paying for Kinko's which has yet to turn a profit ten years later, the general disdain for hourlies, total disconect between purple promises and what the employee and customer end up receiving, ad hoc splitting the pup side off full-timers, running Ground into the ground...

Last edited:

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpg
Did any of you get your pamphlet in the mail about the PPA? Gosh darn it, yes, we DO have a FedEx Pension Plan. Lol.

dezguy

Fred loves to send out fancy but worthless mailers. It shows that the company communicates with us.
I can remember, when they were looking to cut costs and asked us lowly couriers if we had any ideas, I told our DM to stop sending out the stupid pre printed birthday and anniversary cards. First, it doesn't make anyone feel special because they tried to personalize it by printing your name on it, like the president of the company knows who you even are. Second, how much money are you wasting on that because when I get that in my mail, it goes straight into my recycle box or trash.

He looked at me like I had two heads.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I can remember, when they were looking to cut costs and asked us lowly couriers if we had any ideas, I told our DM to stop sending out the stupid pre printed birthday and anniversary cards. First, it doesn't make anyone feel special because they tried to personalize it by printing your name on it, like the president of the company knows who you even are. Second, how much money are you wasting on that because when I get that in my mail, it goes straight into my recycle box or trash.

He looked at me like I had two heads.

Nobody ever asked me for ideas on how to save fedex money. Guess they knew better. Lol.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Fredward - quit paying yourself such obscene amounts of $$$...How much money does a person really need anyway?

There, there's my suggestion how to save the firm a few bucks. You're welcome.