Fred S

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Aren't there always two sides to every issue? Could it be that there are actually some FedEx employees who (god forbid) like their jobs and are satisifed with their wage and benefit package?

Those people are few and far between these days.

1985 ain't comin' back either.

Ghost in the Darkness

do you think smith comes to this or any other board and reads them?

I doubt it, he doesn't care if FedEx workers want a union or not or what they say about him... he deals over your heads and has laws in place to prevent it from ever happening. He cares about the money going into his wallet and will spend as much as he thinks he needs to to prevent bargaining units from forming and sharing in that wealth. It really seems to be working... as long as he keeps his people in congress well paid he will continue to keep reathorization at bay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I doubt it, he doesn't care if FedEx workers want a union or not or what they say about him... he deals over your heads and has laws in place to prevent it from ever happening. He cares about the money going into his wallet and will spend as much as he thinks he needs to to prevent bargaining units from forming and sharing in that wealth. It really seems to be working... as long as he keeps his people in congress well paid he will continue to keep reathorization at bay.

Probably. The last news article I read had Oberstar from the House in a stalemate with Fred and his 2 lap-dog Senators, Alexander and Corker, who will filibuster the language if it gets included in the FAA Bill.

FedEx courier

Probably. The last news article I read had Oberstar from the House in a stalemate with Fred and his 2 lap-dog Senators, Alexander and Corker, who will filibuster the language if it gets included in the FAA Bill.
Is there any way around a filibuster? I read somewhere the Senate may just vote on the house's version of the bill to avoid the filibuster. Don't know if that can be done or not. It will be interesting to see how this turns out when it is so blatantly obvious that the senators from tenn have been bought out.

FedEx2000

Is there any way around a filibuster? I read somewhere the Senate may just vote on the house's version of the bill to avoid the filibuster. Don't know if that can be done or not. It will be interesting to see how this turns out when it is so blatantly obvious that the senators from tenn have been bought out.

Just as it is blatantly obvious that Oberstar drives a brown truck to work each day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just as it is blatantly obvious that Oberstar drives a brown truck to work each day.

Maybe he does, but please explain to me how FedEx deserves special legislation that only benefits FedEx? UPS NDA moves exactly the same way FedEx PO does. Why is one a "trucking company" and the other an "airline"? If you compare the 2 companies division for division, they all do the same thing using the same methods. Even if Oberstar "belongs" to UPS, if you consider the issue on the merits of equity and justice, FedEx has an illegal business advantage. That isn't right.

LTFedExer

Maybe he does, but please explain to me how FedEx deserves special legislation that only benefits FedEx? UPS NDA moves exactly the same way FedEx PO does. Why is one a "trucking company" and the other an "airline"? If you compare the 2 companies division for division, they all do the same thing using the same methods. Even if Oberstar "belongs" to UPS, if you consider the issue on the merits of equity and justice, FedEx has an illegal business advantage. That isn't right.
Had UPS kept it's NDA and 2nd day freight separate from their ground service, like FedEx, they would have the same classification.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Had UPS kept it's NDA and 2nd day freight separate from their ground service, like FedEx, they would have the same classification.

OK, so when I see Ground truckers running Express or Ground pkgs being flown on Express aircraft, they are separate, right? Get your facts straight. Ground freight moves every day on Express planes. IT IS A FACT!!! Please dispute me as per your usual MO.

FedEx courier

Do you have any insight on this issue? I'm really just curious as to what is being told to you. You've admitted you are a manager so you have information that many of us don't have access to.

LTFedExer

OK, so when I see Ground truckers running Express or Ground pkgs being flown on Express aircraft, they are separate, right? Get your facts straight. Ground freight moves every day on Express planes. IT IS A FACT!!! Please dispute me as per your usual MO.
Your MO is to make statements like that and expect everyone to believe it because you say it's true. Where is the proof? I've been to our ramp and have never seen a Ground truck, or are they doing this in unmarked trucks like some covert operation?

FedEx2000

It's hardly an illegal advantage when it is the classification given to FedEx by our government, regardless of whether you or I agree with it or how it came about. Your, and UPS/IBT's, opposition to it does not make it illegal. I'm not going to say that our couriers are "pilots", that's just stupid. The difference lies in the fact that the vast majority of Express volume moves by air vs. the majority of UPS volume moving by ground.....this is the key difference. Everyone is too caught up in the whole FedEx couriers do the same job as UPS drivers.....there is a bigger picture here, the company as a whole and how it is structured.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen an Express pkg move by Ground or vice-versa, other than the Ground pkgs we pick up in Express dropboxes b/c people can't read/don't care and drop them in there anyway b/c they know we will get it to the Ground driver for them. We have to truck some 2 day/XS freight b/c we don't have room for it on the planes, why in the world would we fly someone's Ground pkg that they paid $10 to send? A few exceptions here being Hawaii and Puerto Rico, which we do have Ground service to from the mainland US.....maybe this is what you have seen.....no other way to get it there in less than a week or so except by ship.

Why wouldn't the Tennessee Senators be on the same side as FedEx.....every Senator's job is to act in the best interests of the state/people that they represent. FedEx is one of, if not the biggest employer in the entire state. It would be career suicide to pass legislation that is not in the best interests of the largest employer in your home state. It doesn't matter if they agree personally with it, their job is to act in such a manner that it represents the majority of their constituents. Assuming their constituents are not made up of the people that work at your station, whom according to you, would mostly vote for a union given the option....they may very well be representing the will of their constituents, regardless of how much you think FedEx may be paying them. I am sure they are getting something, but that's no different than anyone else getting campaign contributions from companies in their home state.

And no, I don't think that all Senators/Congressmen always act in a manner that benefits their constituents......if that was the case, this health care legislation never would have passed, that was due to the President buying their vote in return for funding of their respective pet projects/states........no different than how it works with companies really.

Broke

It's hardly an illegal advantage when it is the classification given to FedEx by our government, regardless of whether you or I agree with it or how it came about. Your, and UPS/IBT's, opposition to it does not make it illegal. I'm not going to say that our couriers are "pilots", that's just stupid. The difference lies in the fact that the vast majority of Express volume moves by air vs. the majority of UPS volume moving by ground.....this is the key difference. Everyone is too caught up in the whole FedEx couriers do the same job as UPS drivers.....there is a bigger picture here, the company as a whole and how it is structured.

I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen an Express pkg move by Ground or vice-versa, other than the Ground pkgs we pick up in Express dropboxes b/c people can't read/don't care and drop them in there anyway b/c they know we will get it to the Ground driver for them. We have to truck some 2 day/XS freight b/c we don't have room for it on the planes, why in the world would we fly someone's Ground pkg that they paid $10 to send? A few exceptions here being Hawaii and Puerto Rico, which we do have Ground service to from the mainland US.....maybe this is what you have seen.....no other way to get it there in less than a week or so except by ship.

Why wouldn't the Tennessee Senators be on the same side as FedEx.....every Senator's job is to act in the best interests of the state/people that they represent. FedEx is one of, if not the biggest employer in the entire state. It would be career suicide to pass legislation that is not in the best interests of the largest employer in your home state. It doesn't matter if they agree personally with it, their job is to act in such a manner that it represents the majority of their constituents. Assuming their constituents are not made up of the people that work at your station, whom according to you, would mostly vote for a union given the option....they may very well be representing the will of their constituents, regardless of how much you think FedEx may be paying them. I am sure they are getting something, but that's no different than anyone else getting campaign contributions from companies in their home state.

And no, I don't think that all Senators/Congressmen always act in a manner that benefits their constituents......if that was the case, this health care legislation never would have passed, that was due to the President buying their vote in return for funding of their respective pet projects/states........no different than how it works with companies really.
The one thing you guys can't understand is that 100% of Fedex packages are delivered to the customer by a truck or delivery van. You can say that we're separate from Ground, but weren't Express profits used to purchase RPS? The bottom line here is truck drivers aren't airline employees no matter how the company is structured.

Also about the health care thing. Obama and all the democrats campaigned on health care reform and got elected. I think they owed it to the people that put them into office to do what they said what they would do and they did. The facts were distorted during the year long debate and that's why public opinion dropped over the issue.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ground freight moves every day to Alaska via Express aircraft. It's a fact, and you can check the MEM FDR's if you don't believe me. Ground trucks have run Express Standard Air and as Ricochet1a has pointed-out, FedEx has experimented with Ground drivers delivering Express PO pkgs.