Fred's Amelia Earhart Analogy

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
In the latest issue of From the Chairman (the real one, not my version) our beloved Fred mentions Amelia Earhart as an example of operating outside our comfort zone, and "taking on new challenges and carefully calculated risks". This is code speak for what is going to happen in October,and Smith is greasing the skids with this sneakily-crafted little editorial. No revelations, no concrete statements about our future...just platitudes and ponderings with a few facts thrown-in to make the case he is afraid to say out loud. We (Express employees) are the "carefully calculated risk". The hours cuts we incur won't hurt Fred at all. As stated before, he stands to profit quite handsomely.

Please note that there is little mention of specific actions, but glowing praise for Ground and mention of our need to "anticipate and respond quickly" to constant changes. This is, of course, due to "troubling market trends". Again, more code speak for the October surprise.

It really isn't surprising that Smith isn't being forthcoming. It's not his nature to be honest with employees, particularly this time. He's dropping an H-bomb in October, but he's pretending that it's just some kid out hunting squirrels with his BB gun. This is Weasel 101 in action, and please don't fall for it.

It's interesting to note that Fred draws an analogy from a failed expedition. Even though Amelia Earhart was a brave and daring aviatrix, her mission was not a success. In the long run, I don't think Fred's expedition will succeed either. I just wish he would join the hunt to solve the mystery and go missing himself.

Hey Fred, don't forget to take MT3 and Dave with you on the adventure, OK?

Last edited:

thedownhillEXPRESS

In the latest issue of From the Chairman (the real one, not my version) our beloved Fred mentions Amelia Earhart as an example of operating outside our comfort zone, and "taking on new challenges and carefully calculated risks". This is code speak for what is going to happen in October,and Smith is greasing the skids with this sneakily-crafted little editorial. No revelations, no concrete statements about our future...just platitudes and ponderings with a few facts thrown-in to make the case he is afraid to say out loud.

Please note that there is little mention of specific actions, but glowing praise for Ground and mention of our need to "anticipate and respond quickly" to constant changes. This is, of course, due to "troubling market trends". Again, more code speak for the October surprise.

It really isn't surprising that Smith isn't being forthcoming. It's not his nature to be honest with employees, particularly this time. He's dropping an H-bomb in October, but he's pretending that it's just some kid out hunting squirrels with his BB gun. This is Weasel 101 in action, and please don't fall for it.

It's interesting to note that Fred draws an analogy from a failed expedition. Even though Amelia Earhart was a brave and daring aviatrix, her mission was not a success. In the long run, I don't think Fred's expedition will succeed either. I just wish he would join the hunt to solve the mystery and go missing himself.

Hey Fred, don't forget to take MT3 and Dave with you on the adventure, OK?

Hahahhaha
"troubling market trends"?
Fedex Express made 1.2 BILLION in PROFITS in 2011.
The trouble is they want to double this on your back.
Make sure every single one of you lurkers reading this remember this fact when
the Bull***** express (again no pun intended) district director, HR, or your senior gives you the very sad news.
Call them on it, make them make a mistake...

hypo hanna

Sad thing is catching them in their lies rarely produces any results. Sure there is the entertainment factor of watching managers squirm but the kool aid drinkers are so deeply mired in their dillusions, they hardly take notice.
How can you tell FedEx mgmt is lying?

Their lips are moving.

hypo hanna

Sometimes I wonder. I have been pointing these lies out to my workgroup for years now but every year they give the most glowing SFA numbers. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the average years of service is around 23. They still think saint Fred has their best interest at heart.

Ricochet1a

Sometimes I wonder. I have been pointing these lies out to my workgroup for years now but every year they give the most glowing SFA numbers. I suspect it has to do with the fact that the average years of service is around 23. They still think saint Fred has their best interest at heart.

The Couriers that are in their late 40's or older aren't going to rock the boat. For most of these people, Express is the only "real" job they've ever had - so they have no basis for comparison to "the outside world".

They realize that things are changing for the worse - but they aren't about to stick their heads up and start making noises regarding how bad things are getting (they're NOT going to start dragging Express through the mud). They know that if management really wanted them gone, they'd be gone. They also know they are literally one injury away from losing their job and they have no other options if they were out past the 90 day limit (to get their route back).

A lot of Couriers also fear retaliation for slamming their manager on the SFA - so they go through it marking off the most favorable response - hoping their manager doesn't place the bull's eye on them if things hit a rough patch.

They've been around long enough to know that a poor SFA doesn't really change anything; in fact, it may make things worse - with the manager seeking to single out "trouble makers" and start setting them up for OLCCs and performance reminders if they can make them stick.

I sat through a few post-SFA meetings (where the manager was slammed), with the manager more or less demanding to know who gave them an unfavorable rating and why. The workgroup was silent as could be for more than half an hour listing to the tirade and threats coming out of this yo-yo's mouth. The manager was eventually canned - but not by the SFA process - it was by wage employees (you get three guesses as to who did the writing) going over the manager's head with written documentation of misconduct - that eventually got the problem solved. The "career" employees didn't want to risk their job on taking such a "dangerous" move. I didn't blame them, since if the attempt failed, they would've been in the crosshairs themselves.

However....

It was these same employees which stated that "We don't need a union".

And that is why to this day - I don't believe for a second that "these employees" will ever get the courage to put their signature on a representation card. And that is why the antics continue at Express and the only real option for someone is to get the hell out as soon as they can. Cold hard reality...

thedownhillEXPRESS

Maybe the Shill, cough, cough, Dano can confirm this.

From what I understand corporate is paying big time amounts of attention to some type of SFA algorithm that shows an Ops manager getting a good score, while their workgroup blasts those above?

Supposedly the uppers are pressuring the Ops that they have to "sell" the corporate BS and will be bastardized if they don't by the SFA reading...

From what I hear is if you get a good SFA score and those above, including the company don't, you will be under the microcope more than ever...

Ricochet1a

From what I understand corporate is paying big time amounts of attention to some type of SFA algorithm that shows an Ops manager getting a good score, while their workgroup blasts those above?

Supposedly the uppers are pressuring the Ops that they have to "sell" the corporate BS and will be bastardized if they don't by the SFA reading...

From what I hear is if you get a good SFA score and those above, including the company don't, you will be under the microcope more than ever...

Makes sense...

I know a few ops mangers that have managed to keep their scores up, by DISTANCING themselves from corporate policy as much as possible. They'll preface things with, "It is corporate policy to do this, I have no input regarding this...". A lot of managers have been insulating themselves from the idiocy coming out of Memphis.

If Memphis wants the line managers to starting taking heat themselves, then this all makes sense.

No more "good cop, bad cop". Or if there is to be a "bad cop", Memphis doesn't want to be it anymore.

Looks like the ops managers are getting shoved under the bus too....

And they thought that they were Fred's friends....

Fred's friends all have portraits of Franklin on them.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Makes sense...

I know a few ops mangers that have managed to keep their scores up, by DISTANCING themselves from corporate policy as much as possible. They'll preface things with, "It is corporate policy to do this, I have no input regarding this...". A lot of managers have been insulating themselves from the idiocy coming out of Memphis.

If Memphis wants the line managers to starting taking heat themselves, then this all makes sense.

No more "good cop, bad cop". Or if there is to be a "bad cop", Memphis doesn't want to be it anymore.

Looks like the ops managers are getting shoved under the bus too....

And they thought that they were Fred's friends....

Fred's friends all have portraits of Franklin on them.

I have heard first hand from Ops level, and senior level.

I have also heard second hand info from other locations that match up with this.

Its either get in line or get canned, you said it best, no more good cop bad cop..

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have heard first hand from Ops level, and senior level.

I have also heard second hand info from other locations that match up with this.

Its either get in line or get canned, you said it best, no more good cop bad cop..

There is definitely a purge occurring. When the crap hits the fan in October and everyone is running around in a panic, your management team will be completely onboard with the program...or else. From the Chairman is all the warning you're going to get, and when the sheep whine that "we were never told", they'll simply point to Fred's tome and say that you were told.

It's amazing how many people cannot read between the lines. The evidence is everywhere, yet they still do not see.

thedownhillEXPRESS

There is definitely a purge occurring. When the crap hits the fan in October and everyone is running around in a panic, your management team will be completely onboard with the program...or else. From the Chairman is all the warning you're going to get, and when the sheep whine that "we were never told", they'll simply point to Fred's tome and say that you were told.

It's amazing how many people cannot read between the lines. The evidence is everywhere, yet they still do not see.

I must say one thing here , I know for a fact local Ops have been in the dark on this one, they are just as scared shi*less as the rest of us.

They will fall in line, but they have no choice.

We are the ones with a voice, not much, but a voice nonetheless....
S

Ricochet1a

I must say one thing here , I know for a fact local Ops have been in the dark on this one, they are just as scared shi*less as the rest of us.

They will fall in line, but they have no choice.

We are the ones with a voice, not much, but a voice nonetheless....
S

Operations managers know NOTHING so far out of Memphis. They may have picked up on info through word of mouth (or if they know enough people in Memphis). Many are actually getting pissed off that they've been kept in the dark and not told anything (they DO know something is happening, they just haven't been privy to being in attendance in a sanctioned meeting and given the "scoop"). They are starting to figure out that they aren't really "FedEx-ers" like they though they were - they are merely being used as enforcers by Memphis at this point in the game. Not what most signed up to do when they became managers...

And in reference to an earlier post - the ops managers (some of them) are some of Memphis' worst enemies, since they were dumped on back in 2008 with the salary cuts along with the pension being pulled. Those with more than half a brain got pissed off and still are. I think this explains why it appears Memphis is setting up ops managers to "toe the line", or face the consequences. There are a few Senior managers that fall into this category too...

Senior Managers DO know what is up. They have attended meetings at either the district or regional level, where they have been given a general idea of the direction Express is going in the next 5 years, and to anticipate changes to both their equipment mix (Sprinters replacing W700s) and personnel staffing (replacing full-timers will become more and more difficult). They know that the delivery of "deferred volume" (non-overnight), will eventually be shifted over to Ground, BUT they haven't been given a date as to when this will happen (NO ONE, I've talked to has a firm date on when this will happen yet, I doubt Memphis has set a firm date as of yet).

Managing Directors (district level) know the full scoop. So when they tell you, "All is well, no real changes coming", they are lying through their teeth.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Good puzzle piece.

Seniors have been told they should be prepared to transfer.
Makes sense that when they loose the credibility with their Ops managers corporate may want to
pull a big shuffle......
Part of the plan to keep some semblance of order huh?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
In the latest issue of From the Chairman (the real one, not my version) our beloved Fred mentions Amelia Earhart as an example of operating outside our comfort zone, and "taking on new challenges and carefully calculated risks". This is code speak for what is going to happen in October,and Smith is greasing the skids with this sneakily-crafted little editorial. No revelations, no concrete statements about our future...just platitudes and ponderings with a few facts thrown-in to make the case he is afraid to say out loud. We (Express employees) are the "carefully calculated risk". The hours cuts we incur won't hurt Fred at all. As stated before, he stands to profit quite handsomely.Please note that there is little mention of specific actions, but glowing praise for Ground and mention of our need to "anticipate and respond quickly" to constant changes. This is, of course, due to "troubling market trends". Again, more code speak for the October surprise.It really isn't surprising that Smith isn't being forthcoming. It's not his nature to be honest with employees, particularly this time. He's dropping an H-bomb in October, but he's pretending that it's just some kid out hunting squirrels with his BB gun. This is Weasel 101 in action, and please don't fall for it.It's interesting to note that Fred draws an analogy from a failed expedition. Even though Amelia Earhart was a brave and daring aviatrix, her mission was not a success. In the long run, I don't think Fred's expedition will succeed either. I just wish he would join the hunt to solve the mystery and go missing himself.Hey Fred, don't forget to take MT3 and Dave with you on the adventure, OK?
I read the first few paragraphs of the latest propaganda publication and threw it away in the circular file. Life's too short to read that kind of BS dribble. Just come out and say it Smith but I suppose you don't have the guts to do it by yourself.

Ricochet1a

Good puzzle piece.

Seniors have been told they should be prepared to transfer.
Makes sense that when they loose the credibility with their Ops managers corporate may want to
pull a big shuffle......
Part of the plan to keep some semblance of order huh?

I don't think Memphis is setting up their Sr. Managers to get a collective "stab in the back" from their Ops managers. Even Machiavellli wouldn't advocate going that far. The Sr. Manager ARE seen as being "true FedEx-ers"...

I think Memphis views the Ops managers with a large degree suspicion. The Ops managers DO SEE what is going on, and many of them have split sympathies (not all, but many). They were Couriers or CSAs themselves, work with wage employees every day, see what is going on every day and see the transformation that Express has undergone in the past decade with the wage employees getting dumped on at every turn.

To use an analogy with the military, the Sr. Managers are seen as "junior officers" (Lieutenants and Captains - U.S.M.C equivalent) and the Ops managers are seen as "senior NON-commissioned officers" (Sergeants). When the "General Staff" (Memphis) makes a "battle plan", they don't feel it is necessary to pass along rationales and insights as to the plan to the NCO's. It doesn't accomplish any need of the "General Staff" to do so, and actually risks having the plan "leaked" through gossip (loose lips sink ships sort of thing).

So having a gradually filtered release of data (those higher up need to know more of the plan), makes sense.

The thing that is pissing off the Ops managers, is that they thought that they were "more important" and "trusted" in the greater scheme of things. It does appear that they are learning the lesson (along with the wage employees) that they aren't really trusted after all - they are merely enforcers in the new game, there to impose the will of Memphis should any "Private" get out of line.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I don't think Memphis is setting up their Sr. Managers to get a collective "stab in the back" from their Ops managers. Even Machiavellli wouldn't advocate going that far. The Sr. Manager ARE seen as being "true FedEx-ers"...

I think Memphis views the Ops managers with a large degree suspicion. The Ops managers DO SEE what is going on, and many of them have split sympathies (not all, but many). They were Couriers or CSAs themselves, work with wage employees every day, see what is going on every day and see the transformation that Express has undergone in the past decade with the wage employees getting dumped on at every turn.

To use an analogy with the military, the Sr. Managers are seen as "junior officers" (Lieutenants and Captains - U.S.M.C equivalent) and the Ops managers are seen as "senior NON-commissioned officers" (Sergeants). When the "General Staff" (Memphis) makes a "battle plan", they don't feel it is necessary to pass along rationales and insights as to the plan to the NCO's. It doesn't accomplish any need of the "General Staff" to do so, and actually risks having the plan "leaked" through gossip (loose lips sink ships sort of thing).

So having a gradually filtered release of data (those higher up need to know more of the plan), makes sense.

The thing that is pissing off the Ops managers, is that they thought that they were "more important" and "trusted" in the greater scheme of things. It does appear that they are learning the lesson (along with the wage employees) that they aren't really trusted after all - they are merely enforcers in the new game, there to impose the will of Memphis should any "Private" get out of line.

Good analogy R1A.

I have heard of long term Ops managers still thinking nothing is coming down the proverbial pipe.

Some have even gone as far as denying the loss of XS to ground because we wouldnt't have any freight left!!

My oh my what will happen when they are brought in the loop......

Ricochet1a

I have heard of long term Ops managers still thinking nothing is coming down the proverbial pipe.

Some have even gone as far as denying the loss of XS to ground because we wouldnt't have any freight left!!

My oh my what will happen when they are brought in the loop......

Oh, they know...

While there hasn't been any meetings for the ops managers, it is pretty much common knowledge now that Express Saver is gone. Maybe not among the wage employees, but among management and salaried staff - it is common knowledge now.

The key to your statement is "long term"...

Long term ops managers are smart enough to keep their mouths shut and their opinions to themselves - they wouldn't have become "long term" if they hadn't learned that lesson.

They can "honestly" state that they "haven't heard anything regarding the elimination of Express Saver" - because officially, they haven't. They've heard "rumors", but nothing official....

If they were to open their mouths and start to cause "anxiety" among the employees in the station, they'd be setting themselves up for a good talking to by the Sr. manager. Maybe even setting themselves for the dreaded "leadership failure" (ending of their being a manager).

Leaders don't create anxiety among those they lead - they are supposed to REDUCE anxiety at every opportunity.

You have to think of it from their (ops mgr) point of view. What would they have to gain BY causing all that anxiety among their wage employees if they were to open their mouth? Just because something is true, DOESN'T mean that someone has an obligation to let everyone around them know it is true - especially if they are in a leadership/managerial position.

At this point, they are actually MORE fearful than the typical "head in the sand" wage employee. The Ops mangers KNOW change is coming - they just don't know the full scope of the change and how it is to affect them. They are more afraid of what is going to happen to THEIR career at this point - than what they already suspect will happen to the careers of the full-time Couriers at this point.

El Morado Diablo

An experienced manager in our district was fired last month. Came from the Houston area with years of great SFA scores and did well at their new location. Great people skills, well liked by all. I wonder if those SFA scores will help with the lawsuit filled against the Sr and FedEx?

FedUpRTD

An experienced manager in our district was fired last month. Came from the Houston area with years of great SFA scores and did well at their new location. Great people skills, well liked by all. I wonder if those SFA scores will help with the lawsuit filled against the Sr and FedEx?

I doubt it. It all depends on the reason he/she was fired. SFA scores are meaningless for the most part. My current manager has been moved between workgroups for years because of bad SFA scores, but he is still a manager . I was told years ago by a now retired manager that the SFA doesn't mean ****, but it can be used to start ****. If a manager is liked/appreciated by his senior, then he/she will keep their job no matter how useless they are. If not liked, then they better watch their back.

Mr Fedex

Banned
Ive said it before and I'll say it again.All the disgruntled Fedex workers who come on this site are the minority.Clowns like MrFedex are the miserable people that complain about everything in life.IF FEDEX IS TREATING YOU SO BAD,WHY DON'T YOU GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE?