Fred's Amelia Earhart Analogy

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ive said it before and I'll say it again.All the disgruntled Fedex workers who come on this site are the minority.Clowns like MrFedex are the miserable people that complain about everything in life.IF FEDEX IS TREATING YOU SO BAD,WHY DON'T YOU GO WORK SOMEWHERE ELSE?

You are a genius.

DontThrowPackages

Fedx 4 Life seems to advocate the head in the sand approach.
As I've said, If I get 38 hours a week, Ill be fine. But many guys have put in 15,20 even 25 years and CAN'T go anywhere else. a 50 year and a 21 year apply for position of Fireman, who do you think is getting the job base on equal experience? 50 year old driver with a degree in Account and a 22 year old? "If you hate it some much, leave" is like hearing a paralyzed guy say he hates being in his wheel chair and telling him," If you hate it so much, get up and walk"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Horrible analogy.

On the surface, yes, but if you stop and think about it for a second it is a valid (or is that invalid) one. The 50 year old employee with 21 years of service is handicapped by his lack of a college degree and/or formal training and would be at a disadvantage in an already tight labor market and would be hard pressed to "get up and walk" out of the chair, which would be FedEx.

I have my 4 year and 9 hours towards a Masters but have not been in a classroom since 1989. I would need at least 2 years to refresh my education. My work experience would be my only advantage over all of the new college graduates I would be competing against if I were to ever decide I've had enough. I think I'll stay where I am even though the job gets worse with each passing day.

bbsam

Staff member
As I've said, If I get 38 hours a week, Ill be fine. But many guys have put in 15,20 even 25 years and CAN'T go anywhere else. a 50 year and a 21 year apply for position of Fireman, who do you think is getting the job base on equal experience? 50 year old driver with a degree in Account and a 22 year old? "If you hate it some much, leave" is like hearing a paralyzed guy say he hates being in his wheel chair and telling him," If you hate it so much, get up and walk"
The 50 year old driver with a degree in Accounting could come to Ground. Ah. That's where it falls apart. The paralyzed guy really has no choice. The driver has choices that he doesn't find more appealing (even if he hasn't explored the true possibilities of his talents).

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I doubt it. It all depends on the reason he/she was fired. SFA scores are meaningless for the most part. My current manager has been moved between workgroups for years because of bad SFA scores, but he is still a manager . I was told years ago by a now retired manager that the SFA doesn't mean ****, but it can be used to start ****. If a manager is liked/appreciated by his senior, then he/she will keep their job no matter how useless they are. If not liked, then they better watch their back.

Ok...then explain CF Mr. Smartypants!...lmao! You know who I'm talking about....

hypo hanna

To continue with the analogy....

The paralyzed individual could roll out to the garage and build himself a prosthetic lower body out old car parts or whatever he has lying around and be up running marathons in no time. The reason he doesn't is he is just too lazy to explore his hidden talents. Just another slacker if you ask me.

DontThrowPackages

To continue with the analogy....

The paralyzed individual could roll out to the garage and build himself a prosthetic lower body out old car parts or whatever he has lying around and be up running marathons in no time. The reason he doesn't is he is just too lazy to explore his hidden talents. Just another slacker if you ask me.
And as he's getting blow off the track by able body runners, you would say?

DontThrowPackages

The 50 year old driver with a degree in Accounting could come to Ground. Ah. That's where it falls apart. The paralyzed guy really has no choice. The driver has choices that he doesn't find more appealing (even if he hasn't explored the true possibilities of his talents).

Why would he come to ground? Even though he's losing his 10+ hrs a week of OT, He still makes more than a ground drive not to mention, health insurance,all be it deficient, 401K, month of vacation time and the piece of mind of knowing his rte and the friends he's made on it.

Is a unappealing choice a choice? This all started with, "If you hate it so much then leave". The driver would only leave if he could go to something better not worse. Yank the wheelchair out from under the paralyzed guy and He'll have the choice to crawl or not right? To most of us, crawling would be like working ground or worse.
If things stay the way they are now, I'll be happy but I see the point of others on this board. Every year something is taken away and the concerns of when it will stop have many older employees on edge.

bbsam

Staff member
"Is an unappealing choice a choice?" Absolutely. But until one fully explores it, one limits himself unnecessarily. Facts are facts. Fedex is changing. Keeping things the same is not a choice, appealing or not.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
"Is an unappealing choice a choice?" Absolutely. But until one fully explores it, one limits himself unnecessarily. Facts are facts. Fedex is changing. Keeping things the same is not a choice, appealing or not.
Remember that someday when Ground contractors are faced with "unappealing choices." In other words, don't get too comfortable. Just sayin'.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Remember that someday when Ground contractors are faced with "unappealing choices." In other words, don't get too comfortable. Just sayin'.

This almost sounds like a threat.

What does bbsam have to worry about? Ground will eventually grow to the point where FedEx will have to designate the drivers as employees, effectively cutting out the middle man. bbsam is a smart business man who I am sure has an exit plan already in place.

bbsam

Staff member
This almost sounds like a threat.

What does bbsam have to worry about? Ground will eventually grow to the point where FedEx will have to designate the drivers as employees, effectively cutting out the middle man. bbsam is a smart business man who I am sure has an exit plan already in place.
I don't think that will happen (at least not any time soon). Somehow the contractor model would haave to lose a huge financial advantage. That being said, change happens and there is never "one" exit strategy but several and many combinations, permutations, and variations of all.

bbsam

Staff member

I am never "too comfortable". I don't know any successful contractor who is.

TUT

But many guys have put in 15,20 even 25 years and CAN'T go anywhere else.

They can and they have, some will do better, most wont. We've all heard this for about 20 years now that loyalty and career jobs cannot be counted on like the Leave it to Beaver days. I only say this as we all know these things, the reaper can come for you, but still no matter how prepared and understanding, when it's your number, it's still a surprise.

I recall the Nasa employees on 60 minutes several months ago, when they a large round of layoffs. I get both sides, but these people just assume a high paying job is always there, they've now earned it and in Nasa's case their children should be hired in and reap the rewards for evermore. Now a part of me loves that, but then reality of the world settles in and it does come across as a bit too comfortable and elitist in a way. They felt betrayed even on the tax payers dime.

vantexan

They can and they have, some will do better, most wont. We've all heard this for about 20 years now that loyalty and career jobs cannot be counted on like the Leave it to Beaver days. I only say this as we all know these things, the reaper can come for you, but still no matter how prepared and understanding, when it's your number, it's still a surprise.

I recall the Nasa employees on 60 minutes several months ago, when they a large round of layoffs. I get both sides, but these people just assume a high paying job is always there, they've now earned it and in Nasa's case their children should be hired in and reap the rewards for evermore. Now a part of me loves that, but then reality of the world settles in and it does come across as a bit too comfortable and elitist in a way. They felt betrayed even on the tax payers dime.

OK, Give us the kind of pay that the NASA folk have and when our jobs disappear we'll have something to fall back on. Crapping all over us for 20 years and then suddenly booting us out the door will likely spark a few riots.

bbsam

Staff member
OK, Give us the kind of pay that the NASA folk have and when our jobs disappear we'll have something to fall back on. Crapping all over us for 20 years and then suddenly booting us out the door will likely spark a few riots.

You will be given nothing. As TUT said, this reality has been outlined for 30 years. What you have done with the time you were given is of no concern of Corporate America.