Free meal for Veterans

rod

Retired 22 years
Applebees is offering a free meal for all Veterans Thursday. Its really nice of them to do this. You have your choice from 6 different menu items. Bring a copy of your DD214

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Applebees is offering a free meal for all Veterans Thursday. Its really nice of them to do this. You have your choice from 6 different menu items. Bring a copy of your DD214

It's a great thing to do. Thanks to all the veterans. I hope I don't have a delivery for Applebees today.

bigbrownhen

This is on Vetrans Day, Thursday Nov 11th. Not many vetrans carry their DD214, but the website lists several forms of ID that will work like any card from the VA, VFW, or military ID, even a photo of you in uniform will work.

rod

Retired 22 years
I did mean to say those free meals were Nov. 11 (but if you can sneak one in today go for it). Hooters would be my choice also but the closest one is 100 miles away.:dissapointed:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Worst hot wings I have ever tasted. My wife got me an order one time. The cashier tried to keep a five dollar tip out of the twenty dollar bill my wife gave her. It was a take out order, my wife wasn't impressed with her chest.

tarbar66

The American Legion in town has had free breakfast for Vets as long as I can remember.

The local Ponderosa is recognizing Vets on Veterans Day with a free meal too.

Please remember to thank a vet when you see them and fly the Flag next Thursday too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Golden Corral gives free meals on Veteran's day to active military as I remember.
That always impressed me.

I have bought active military people's meals before on Vets day ... I always feel bad when I forget to do so.
The government does not do that much for them anymore ... nor the vets.

packageguy

I think that's a great thing to do. It's the little things that matter. When someone like that walks in you just say "thank you".

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Golden Corral gives free meals on Veteran's day to active military as I remember.
That always impressed me.

I have bought active military people's meals before on Vets day ... I always feel bad when I forget to do so.

Thank you.

You just brought a smile to my heart and tears to my eyes.

And the following is not just a commercial. It really does happen.

[video=youtube;9AGay3mZHeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AGay3mZHeE[/video]

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I agree with the latter but not the former. I served from 1981-89, which was period of relative indifference toward our military. What I mean by that is we did not have the emotion of Vietnam nor the renewed sense of nationalism that we enjoy today. I could walk through an airport in uniform unnoticed. The military provides free room and board, free healthcare, highly subsidized college education (90%), and a chance to see the world. It is very unlikely that I would have spent a week, let alone a year, in Sicily had it not been for the military. I bought my house and recently refinanced my mortgage thanks to the miilitary (VA). The military will not make you rich financially but it did instill a sense of pride and degree of maturity that I lacked when I enlisted.

I do agree that more can and should be done for our veterans and for those on active duty who have been injured while serving in a combat situation.

I also applaud those restaurants who choose to honor our veterans in this way.

tarbar66

Thank you to Perkins in our town for jumping on the bandwagon!

Vets can eat for free on Thursday, breakfast at the American Legion, lunch at Perkins and dinner at Ponderosa.