Free UPSSOCKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
UPSsocks knows that he can still post here, I pm'd with him about it before he announced he was leaving. I actually encouraged him to continue to post under one condition: he needed to be more respectful toward other members. He felt that I had slighted him and decided to leave. I didn't ban him or tell him to leave...

We've had ads running here for years, if we didn't run ads I couldn't afford to keep this site online.

What does it cost to keep this site online?

Browncafe is currently hosted on a SuperVPS 125

Last year we purchased vbulletin suite software.

There are also monthly amazons3/google appengine account fees from my home made content delivery network which I set up to speed up your pageloads.

We also pay a couple of additional yearly software licensing fees and graphics licenses.

I do not get paid for the hundreds of hours it takes me to maintain the site or figure any of this stuff out.

In addition to these costs I bought a couple of chat programs last year when our inexpensive one got all wonky. The first chat room I bought was technically advanced but I got lots of complaints about it, so I bought the one that we're using now. It's very basic and cost less than half of the previous one. I guess I'll chalk up the unused chat room expense to my trying too hard to try out the latest stuff.

To those of you that think I'm raking in the $: If you want to make money on the internet a forum is not the way to do it. I'm always happy when a forum makes a little more than I am spending to keep it online...

I started this site over 10 years ago. There have been many more months that we haven't made enough ad revenue to cover our expenses than months were we break even or make any profit. Many years ago we even had individuals send unsolicited donations to sponsor this site. It apears that times have changed...

The recent ad changes were made because our ad revenue had been very low this year and was drifting even lower. Google adsense analyzed our site and recommended the type and placement of the ads we have now to try and bring the revenue back up. They actually recommended 3 ads per page but I thought that was too much, so I only used 2.

To recap: According to google's analysis you should be seeing 3 ads per page instead of 2.

You're welcome.

Finally, something we agree on. :wink2:

Cheryl,
I apologize. Rereading the "Walking Gods" part was too direct and was uncalled for. I let my emotions speak for me.
I appreciate your time and effort.
I agree. This site has several behind the scenes people and maybe only 1 or 2.
Thanks.
I was misinformed of the conditions surrounding UPSSOCKS.

Note to self: Trust, but verify....

fxdwg

Long Time Member
We all have restrictions on posting I will not commit on my opinion of socks becasue of those restrictions. I've been asked to "tone it down" by the moderation team, so it seems to me the restrictions are not just for a few.
Tony and Cheryl are not Gods, they are the OWNERS of this board, without them there would be no BrownCafe...PERIOD. I think that gives them the right to make whatever rules they please as well as the right to decide who can or can not post on this forum. The Mods as far as I can tell to a pretty good job of trying to help Cheryl and Tony keep this site respectable and clean. As Cheryl explained in her post, the cost of maintaining this site is not cheap and comes out of their pocket. That gives them the right to try and recoup some of the expense. IMHO, C&T and the Mod team deserves a hardy pat on the back. WAY TO GO Y'all.

trplnkl:
I agree with everything you said except the "Y'all". EVERY Southerner knows that the plural of Y'all is "All Y'all"!!

Oh yeah, Texas is almost it's own country.

Back to SOCKS. Tie and 22.3 hit the nails on their heads. If your offended, challenge him or put him on ignore!!!
He's still a member of the BC community. Isn't he?

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I started a 3k on Saturday under extreme heat.
MS took me out of the run at the 2.25 mark.
Extreme heat and MS do not mix well together.
I raised 183.47 for Breast Cancer.
The husband remarked that the girls bounced like my avatar once did...

(I should have brought a PT Supervisor to run the 3k for me...I should have learned from the wisdom of Socks.)

Any black eyes?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
... lug heads that constantly make outrageous comments from their side of the fence that they are not challenged on. It was fun watching Socks do the same thing from the management side on this site and watch you guys constantly apply the double standard.

Tie hit the nail right on the head.

Socks just retorted with the same kind of stupid dimwitted type of hyperbole that he replied to.

I will not miss Socks just as I don't miss his counterparts on the other side of the issues. They deserved one another.

Anyway, Socks just went back to posting as his previous persona who is more restrained.

I would be glad to see him comeback if the other side cooks come back out from under the rocks.

Its all fun!

P

pickup

Socks just retorted with the same kind of stupid dimwitted type of hyperbole that he replied to.

I will not miss Socks just as I don't miss his counterparts on the other side of the issues. They deserved one another.

Anyway, Socks just went back to posting as his previous persona who is more restrained.

I would be glad to see him comeback if the other side cooks come back out from under the rocks.

Its all fun!

I wanna know what the hell his other identity is.

P

pickup

Its all fun!

hmm, why is tie's name in a different font than the rest of the posted words. Hoaxster had to go through extra effort to do that. Why?

And why the heck isn't your green light on( Hoaxster)?, which would indicate that you are logged in, which you probably are , as you posted very quickly to moreluck's query.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I don't think some of you understand. "Bring him back". He would have to do that himself, he's not banned.

He made his own decision not to post anymore. He's a big boy, he certainly has the right to do that.

I think those of you who miss him should PM him.

UPSSOCKS posted that every single post that he made would be reviewed prior to being published.
Is that not the case?
I reacted to that and the "Never give up on a person" way of life.
It's none of my business, but I didn't want to see him having to wait for his posts to appear; or (especially) feeling a sense that he's expected to march to a more stringent set of orders as the rest of us.

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.

johnnyunion

the grandpalooza of all you losers
Same reason your's is on my other post.

It's an option

Yeah, looks like it is an option for you to answer the questions you wanna answer and ignore the other ones. My buddy, pickup , asked u a question. Was he right about his suspicions about who dis guy , upssocks was when he first started posting? Don't make me come down to that ivory tower innoplex u work at to find out the answer. I always wanted to visit fantasy world so don't give me anudder reason. We have the right to know if one person is posting under multiple identities.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Yeah, looks like it is an option for you to answer the questions you wanna answer and ignore the other ones. My buddy, pickup , asked u a question. Was he right about his suspicions about who dis guy , upssocks was when he first started posting? Don't make me come down to that ivory tower innoplex u work at to find out the answer. I always wanted to visit fantasy world so don't give me anudder reason. We have the right to know if one person is posting under multiple identities.

Thanks for the ebonics. UPSSOCKS is actually AJBlakeJr on a PMS day..........am I funny "or what"?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
trplnkl:
I agree with everything you said except the "Y'all". EVERY Southerner knows that the plural of Y'all is "All Y'all"!!

Oh yeah, Texas is almost it's own country.

Back to SOCKS. Tie and 22.3 hit the nails on their heads. If your offended, challenge him or put him on ignore!!!
He's still a member of the BC community. Isn't he?

How can you be offended if you don't read any of his posts. I didn't bother after the first half dozen or so. I figured it was all going to be the same garbage. I have a boss here that is pretty much the same way. I get paid to listen to his garbage. Not so here.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
How can you be offended if you don't read any of his posts. I didn't bother after the first half dozen or so. I figured it was all going to be the same garbage. I have a boss here that is pretty much the same way. I get paid to listen to his garbage. Not so here.

What I meant was that MANY people were offended by his posts.

Hey...no big deal.....Is it???

I read all of his Posts....They're hilarious and I put them into the comical perspective (as I do all except i few threads).

Free UPSSOCKS!!! :thumbup: Silly!~!

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPSSOCKS posted that every single post that he made would be reviewed prior to being published.
Is that not the case?
I reacted to that and the "Never give up on a person" way of life.
It's none of my business, but I didn't want to see him having to wait for his posts to appear; or (especially) feeling a sense that he's expected to march to a more stringent set of orders as the rest of us.

If I am incorrect, please enlighten me.
It's in the best interest of the community to have the posts of repeat offenders automatically go into the moderation queue. I don't care which side of the issues you are on, it's all the same to me. Posting here is a privilege, not a right. Upssocks could dish it out... but apparently he couldn't take it.

I asked him to self edit and he chose to leave. Please be respectful and move along, nothing to see here.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yeah, looks like it is an option for you to answer the questions you wanna answer and ignore the other ones. Damn right!

My buddy, pickup , asked u a question.

Was he right about his suspicions about who dis guy , upssocks was when he first started posting? Don't make me come down to that ivory tower innoplex u work at to find out the answer. I always wanted to visit fantasy world so don't give me anudder reason. Corporate I.E. told me I could not divulge.

We have the right to know if one person is posting under multiple identities. Ask Cheryl then

Status
Not open for further replies.