Freightliner Just Revealed The First Real Road-Legal Autonomous Big Rig

UPS4Life

I'm not to smart when it comes to insurance policies but I'd like to know who would insure a truck that doesn't have a physical driver. Yes somebody is in the seat encase a malfunction happens but accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

P

pickup

I'm not to smart when it comes to insurance policies but I'd like to know who would insure a truck that doesn't have a physical driver. Yes somebody is in the seat encase a malfunction happens but accidents happen in the blink of an eye.

If these vehicles can have statistically less costly accidents than vehicles with drivers, then ,sure they can be insurable. but more viable. A two time dwi driver with two moving violations can also be insurable, just costs more. And in the case of the driverless truck, there is automatically one less person who would require medical expenses, that's right!, the driver that is NOT in the driverless truck.

Can it blind-side a 53' down a dark alley at night in the rain? Until it can, I'm not too worried about being replaced.

No, I suppose a driver will be needed for that. But how about this scenario? A hub awaits its load being pulled by a driverless truck. Truck pulls up through the inbound gate. Trailer is disengaged and a shifter hooks up to it . Sound like you can eliminate a lot of sleeper runs that need drivers.

Of course, this is all in the far future, well maybe not so far.

My other question, if these vehicles are really efficient and will not blow stop signs or speed, how are municipalities going to generate revenue from moving violations?

alister

It doesn't have a blind side.
I have to agree , this should be one of the easier things to check off on the list. This truck will not be blind while doing this. It will either have laser and or radar to guide. It might even have a popup drone to give it an over head view. The building it is backing up to may even send data to the truck to eliminate blind spots

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Driverless vehicles will not be operating on public roads at any point during our or our children's lifetimes.

I don't doubt that the technology might soon exist but we are a long way from the point where the general public would allow them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Can it blow its horn and wolf whistle when a car load of hot looking babes in mini-skirts passes it? I don't think so.

clean hairy

In the winter, when roads get bad, how will it put chains on the tires when needed?
It will know when to pull into a truck stop for more fuel, and refuel itself how?
It stops at a weigh station and is overweight, the cops just toss a violation notice on the front seat?
If it commits a traffic violation, it will know to pull over for the cops?
If during a random Highway Patrol stop for safety inspection, it has to be pulled out of service, how do the Cops make it stay where it is, who do they notify, and how do they take it out of service?
These are questions for years from now, when there is no person inside the truck at all.
And, at the current point in time, how does the poor soul in the truck let it know it has to pull over, cause the guy has to pee?