Friday 14 hour rule

ColBoz

Last Friday I worked 13 hours 55 minutes. At the beginning of the day I asked my supervisor when I should call him about going over the 12-hour DOT rule. He stated it was Friday and I could work 14 hours (with a smile on his face).

My question is: Maybe this rule doesn't violate DOT regulations but shouldn't it break UPS safety stanards? Or work ethics? Or UPS employee relation? Or am I just being a whiner?

And furthermore, does anyone think this supervisor should be disciplined for giving me a 14 hour dispatch on a Friday or any other day of the week, in the first place?

What would you do? I a fulltime fill-in driver so I know 90% of the routes. Is my area knowledge my worst enemy?

Nothing starts a weekend like getting home to sleeping house at mid-night!!!!:whiteflag::dead:

rwsmith67

:sad-very:
Last Friday I worked 13 hours 55 minutes. At the beginning of the day I asked my supervisor when I should call him about going over the 12-hour DOT rule. He stated it was Friday and I could work 14 hours (with a smile on his face).

My question is: Maybe this rule doesn't violate DOT regulations but shouldn't it break UPS safety stanards? Or work ethics? Or UPS employee relation? Or am I just being a whiner?

And furthermore, does anyone think this supervisor should be disciplined for giving me a 14 hour dispatch on a Friday or any other day of the week, in the first place?

What would you do? I a fulltime fill-in driver so I know 90% of the routes. Is my area knowledge my worst enemy?

Nothing starts a weekend like getting home to sleeping house at mid-night!!!!:whiteflag::dead:

Boz, If those hours bother you, don't ever consider going to feeder!:anxious:

purplesky

We had the same issue in our hub last week. Drivers were pulling in at 9:30 PM on Friday working close to 60 hours. We my friend are living the dream!!!! I love it when people say you get overtime dont you? OT does not help you when you feel like crap. Just make sure you are putting $$$ in the 401k to ease the pain. Hopefully it will pay off in the end. Thats what I keep telling myself.:biting:

satellitedriver

The rule isn't 12 hours it's 14, then there are 2 different 16 hr "short haul" exceptions.
see:http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm

see also:http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

You cannot exceed 11 hrs driving time, but time spent delivering/waiting for pickups is considered on duty not driving.
And how is the delivering time monitored ,and accounted for by UPS, as a deduction per DOT rules?

A

anonymous6

quit your whining

there are about 50 million people in this country alone (probably more than 2 billion worldwide ) that would love to change places with you.

being extremely conservative.

P

pickup

And how is the delivering time monitored ,and accounted for by UPS, as a deduction per DOT rules?

perhaps your diad with its gps functions can account for when and when you are not driving. If not and IF you guys are really under the d.o.t. regulations, you are really supposed to fill out a detailed log after you pass 12 hours from your punch in time, or if you go outside of a 100 mile air radius of your hub(Some you rural guys might). I don't see that happening. Also short haul exemption aside (let's assume it doesn't exist for a moment) , you are allowed to work past 14 as long as you are not driving past 14. You can be on duty once the truck is parked and you get your stuff together and get to the punchout clock. Still would need a 10 hour break. But I always wondered, are you guys really subject to the same d.o.t rules that feeder drivers are? What is the gross weight of that vehicle, fully loaded?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Under 60 a week and under 14 a day. 10 hours between shifts. 11 behind the wheel, but walk time and wait time not counted toward that. UPS has 12 hour dispatch safety rules as a general rule, but they have no qualms with being flexible with that rule.

I don't care what the freakin "RULES" are, it's pretty much proven science that when a persons body is exhausted you are exponentially more likely to be injured, have an auto accident or just plain fall asleep at the wheel. None of which are good.

SOMEONE, please tell me again how much UPS cares about your safety. Before you waste your time, I don't/won't believe it.

OP you are not whining, you have a legitimate bitch, unfortunately UPS will not do the right thing if they can avoid doing so.

Pacman

ColBoz is correct about 14 hours being beyond what should be required even during peak season. That 14 hours is all in the UPS environment. What about the time before and after work to manage the other necessities of life in general.
Dispatching has been the most painful thorn of UPS Ops. How many customers want to open the door after 2100 on a cold night to get their fruitcake anyhow?
I worked with a preload sup who dispatched a cover driver with a 12 hour load. He annotated and circled on the old dispatch/stop count sheet. The driver called around 1930 and said he would either miss feeder pull or blow 15- 20 stops. I ask him to make the feeder.
I made a call after checking the stop count, to the preload sup. I told him the driver was going to miss several stops and ask him what we should do with the person responsible. He said a warning letter! I said fine I will have it on your desk in the morning and we can discuss it. He really never liked me much after that but he certainly paid more attention to things.

lastoasis

Under 60 a week and under 14 a day. 10 hours between shifts. 11 behind the wheel, but walk time and wait time not counted toward that. UPS has 12 hour dispatch safety rules as a general rule, but they have no qualms with being flexible with that rule.

I believe if you hit return to bldg. before your 60th hour you could be asked to jockey, central sort or some non driving job and get over 60 hrs. legally.

UPSF Peeon

i would think when your actually delivering the package it would be on duty not driving but how would you log a couple hundred deliveries a day?

also i never heard of a 12 hour rule

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
as has been stated, driving time for feeders, and delivery time for drivers are totally different.

they can very easily work you over 12 every day if that is what they want.

but that is not really what is at issue here.

they pick fridays as the day to load up the drivers because they know everyone wants to start their weekend. so you will most likely cut corners, skip lunch to try and get in just a bit earlier. it is a management tool that has been around since i started in the 70's.

There is nothing illegal, and while it might conflict with safety issues, they dont have a problem with it.

again, it goes back to the lack of respect for the workforce. abuse to make a few extra bucks.

one last thing, while they can work you longer than 14 hours, you should not be allowed to drive after 14 hours on duty, without at least 10 hours off. that is why they can get by with abusing fridays, as durig the week, if they work you more than 14 hours, you wont have 10 hours off before your next start time. but on fridays, its not an issue.

d

Last edited:

SWORDFISH

I believe if you hit return to bldg. before your 60th hour you could be asked to jockey, central sort or some non driving job and get over 60 hrs. legally.

Everything said has been right about the hours worked rule except there is one loop hole. You may go over 60 hrs worked for the week as long as when you hit your 60th hr you are no longer driving and you still need a 10hr break before your next shift. A few years ago when christmas eve was on Saturday I worked till I hit my 60 but, they had sent an air driver w/ me and she became the driver at my 60th hr and I just sat there and told her where to go. I was kinda like an on car supe that day.

cino321

If someone gives me a 14 hour dispatch, I guarantee you I'll end up in a hospital that night. No way is that safe.