Friday 14 hour rule

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Welcome to Brown Cafe, RWSmith!

Let's be serious, tho. 14 hours in Feeders is a LOT different than 14 hours in Package.
:happy-very:

ColBoz is correct about 14 hours being beyond what should be required even during peak season. That 14 hours is all in the UPS environment. What about the time before and after work to manage the other necessities of life in general.
Dispatching has been the most painful thorn of UPS Ops. How many customers want to open the door after 2100 on a cold night to get their fruitcake anyhow?
I worked with a preload sup who dispatched a cover driver with a 12 hour load. He annotated and circled on the old dispatch/stop count sheet. The driver called around 1930 and said he would either miss feeder pull or blow 15- 20 stops. I ask him to make the feeder.
I made a call after checking the stop count, to the preload sup. I told him the driver was going to miss several stops and ask him what we should do with the person responsible. He said a warning letter! I said fine I will have it on your desk in the morning and we can discuss it. He really never liked me much after that but he certainly paid more attention to things.
Of course Col is correct but UPS is not going to change it. The only way any changes are going to be made is on a case by case situtaion and it will take a driver calling in and saying, "I'm to tired to finish this.", and we all know what will happen after that. There will be no end to the harrassment.

I don't care what the freakin "RULES" are, it's pretty much proven science that when a persons body is exhausted you are exponentially more likely to be injured, have an auto accident or just plain fall asleep at the wheel. None of which are good.

SOMEONE, please tell me again how much UPS cares about your safety. Before you waste your time, I don't/won't believe it.

OP you are not whining, you have a legitimate bitch, unfortunately UPS will not do the right thing if they can avoid doing so.
You are right Trp.

Everything said has been right about the hours worked rule except there is one loop hole. You may go over 60 hrs worked for the week as long as when you hit your 60th hr you are no longer driving and you still need a 10hr break before your next shift. A few years ago when christmas eve was on Saturday I worked till I hit my 60 but, they had sent an air driver w/ me and she became the driver at my 60th hr and I just sat there and told her where to go. I was kinda like an on car supe that day.
I have been in this same situation as well.

ColBoz

Thanks for all the replys folks. I went to work this morning only to find out you can not subtract your break from the 14 hour rule. Myself and another driver went over 14 hours. And the supervisors had a very serious look on there faces. I had to write a letter to the district manager explaining how this had happened. So it must be a little more serious than I thought since they both looked like they had gotten their asses chewed by the district manager. The one supe won't even look at me or speak to me, which is a blessing anyway. Luckily I had 3 witnesses standing there when my supe told me (in error) I could work 40 minutes longer than the actual rule.

And yes I have a job and I'm grateful for the pay, benefits, and security. But after I get in an accident, injured, and my family leaves me is working a 12 or 14 hour day worth it. Just because the economy is in the crap hole doesn't mean we should let management run us over!!! We still pay unoin dues!!! Work to live, don't live to work!

Thanks for all the replys folks. I went to work this morning only to find out you can not subtract your break from the 14 hour rule. Myself and another driver went over 14 hours. And the supervisors had a very serious look on there faces. I had to write a letter to the district manager explaining how this had happened. So it must be a little more serious than I thought since they both looked like they had gotten their asses chewed by the district manager. The one supe won't even look at me or speak to me, which is a blessing anyway. Luckily I had 3 witnesses standing there when my supe told me (in error) I could work 40 minutes longer than the actual rule.

And yes I have a job and I'm grateful for the pay, benefits, and security. But after I get in an accident, injured, and my family leaves me is working a 12 or 14 hour day worth it. Just because the economy is in the crap hole doesn't mean we should let management run us over!!! We still pay unoin dues!!! Work to live, don't live to work!
So what did your letter say? BTW, I'm pretty sure they can't force you to write a letter to anyone, specially while off the clock.

COH_IE

what hasn't been mentioned yet is that the 60 hour limit applies to a rolling 7 day period. if, however, the employee has had 34 hours off between shifts, the hours worked would reset. this normally happens every weekend for most employees.

trickpony1

Thanks for all the replys folks. I went to work this morning only to find out you can not subtract your break from the 14 hour rule.

Now I'm really confused. Someone help me with this math.

Each day has 24 hours in it.
You must be off work 10 hours between shifts so, 24 minus 10 equals 14.
You have 14 hours to do stuff. Some of that stuff includes taking a one hour meal so, 14 minus 1 equals 13.
Of the remaining 13 hours, you can only drive 11 hours unless, of course, there is bad weather that no one knew about (I guess we don't have fax, email, internet, telephone and the weather channel) then you can drive longer.

I guess my question is: why can't you subtract your meal from the 14 hour rule?

Someone please rescue me from my ignorance. Where is Upstate when we need him? (sarcasm)

bluehdmc

what hasn't been mentioned yet is that the 60 hour limit applies to a rolling 7 day period. if, however, the employee has had 34 hours off between shifts, the hours worked would reset. this normally happens every weekend for most employees.

Correct. Anytime you're off 34 hours you reset. Also you could work 8 1/2 hrs 7 days a week 365 days a year and not be in violation.

over9five

Staff member
14 hour rule: You must be off the clock before 14 hours WHETHER OR NOT you have taken lunch or breaks. If you start at 8 am, you must punch out by 10 pm.

Really, as a driver, YOU should know these rules. I'm glad the OP had witnesses that heard the sup order him to break the DOT rules, and I hope he included that in the letter.

over9five

Staff member
Here are the current DOT HOS (Hours of Service) rules:

You must have 10 hours off duty prior to your start work.

* You may not drive more than 11 hours.
* You may not drive upon reaching the maximum of 14 consecutive hours (punch to punch).
* You may not drive after having been on duty more than 60 hours in any 7 consecutive days.
* Under "adverse conditions" you may drive 2 additional hours (no more than 13 total).
A driver may reset a 7 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off duty.

Official DOT version is here.

Remember, if they work you over 14 you cannot report to work at your same start time tomorrow. HERE, we'd get the day off, as we can't change our start time.

UPSF Peeon

14 hour rule: You must be off the clock before 14 hours WHETHER OR NOT you have taken lunch or breaks. If you start at 8 am, you must punch out by 10 pm.

Really, as a driver, YOU should know these rules. I'm glad the OP had witnesses that heard the sup order him to break the DOT rules, and I hope he included that in the letter.

you dont have to be off the clock you just cant drive after 14 hours

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

usf is correct. as long as you dont drive more than 11, work while driving more than 14, and if you work past 14, you better not drive.

d

over9five

Staff member
you dont have to be off the clock you just cant drive after 14 hours

usf is correct. as long as you dont drive more than 11, work while driving more than 14, and if you work past 14, you better not drive.

d

That is correct, but the 10 hour off rule still applies. If you work past 14, you won't have 10 hours off before your next shift. As I already said, they really can only do this to you on Friday. If they make you work over 14 on a Wednesday, they lose you on Thursday.

I suppose a non-union company could just adjust (set back) your start time for the next day. Thank God they can't do that to us here.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
i have several friends that work for non union companies, and one has complained about that policy. it ends up cutting into his weekend week after week. it really sucks.

d