Friday July 3rd

UPS1907

I guess I just found this out, but HOW can July 3rd 2015 be a normal workday at UPS? Nationally, July 4th it is being observed on Friday July 3rd. When the 4th was on a Sunday years ago, Monday was a nationally observed off day. What's the difference?
UPS Freight is off, UPS Virgin Islands is also off recognizing the holiday. How can this happen?

CHALLY9TX

I guess I just found this out, but HOW can July 3rd 2015 be a normal workday at UPS? Nationally, July 4th it is being observed on Friday July 3rd. When the 4th was on a Sunday years ago, Monday was a nationally observed off day. What's the difference?
UPS Freight is off, UPS Virgin Islands is also off recognizing the holiday. How can this happen?

Read your contract . Only when a holiday falls on Sunday is the following Monday observed as a holiday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
What day of the week is Thanksgiving on this year? I never can keep that one straight in my mind.
November 26. It used to be the first Thursday after the first full moon at least past the second Thursday of the month or something like that.

Now it is just the 4th Thursday of the month.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Maybe because the holiday isn't until Saturday? I don't get why people think they should get extra days off because a holiday falls on a weekend. We don't get Christmas eve off, why should we get July 3rd off?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Maybe because the holiday isn't until Saturday? I don't get why people think they should get extra days off because a holiday falls on a weekend. We don't get Christmas eve off, why should we get July 3rd off?
Because it is a poor business decision to be open. 99% of the businesses will be closed celebrating the holiday.

UPS will have their list of closures and more than half the drivers won't be working anyway.

A few businesses open in each center and the residential. Either everyone will work 4 hours or half the drivers won't be needed.

If every driver requested their 8 hour guarantee, UPS will loose countless millions of dollars and will never do that again.

It won't happen though. Most of the drivers will volunteer to take the day off seeing as they are getting paid for Saturday.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
On Christmas Eve, just like the day after Thanksgiving, the majority of the businesses were open. Short staffed, but still open.

The nation does not celebrate a holiday on Christmas Eve or the day after Thanksgiving. But the nation and most businesses will celebrate the 4th of July holiday by giving their employees Friday off in honor of the holiday that falls on Saturday.

Not UPS though.

Oh, and by the way, there will be no feeder runs or night sorts on Friday because, guess what, there will be no businesses open for pickups.

If UPS wants to deliver on the day that the nation will recognize the day off for the holiday, fine. But UPS will only be delivering residential. All the other employees of businesses will be home with their families.

Except for the retail stores, that are open on the holidays anyway. I would venture to say, though, that most of these stores will not be accepting deliveries on the 3rd anyway.

If every employee requested their 8 hour guarantee, UPS could chalk up another $100M loss. Add this to the $150M loss the day after Thanksgiving and UPS just pissed away a quarter of a billion dollars.

Almost as bad as ORION.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Then there is the "oh yea, we're working" pickup. Until you get there that is, and no one is in sight.