Friday the 25th, UPS forcing FT inside employees to work actual hours only - On Topic

The Jeep Driver

On the road less traveled...
I have a 22.3 job; I do sort set-up, man the PM Customer Counter, process Exceptions from Drivers, load the Air Shuttle, do Haz-Mats, etc. On Friday the 18th I was told that on Friday the 25th (day after Thanksgiving) CC would be closed, and in order for me to be allowed to work that day, I had to sign a paper stating I would work for actual hours only. Same thing was said to our Centers PM 22.2, and both 22.3 who work AM. We have a 22.2 on the AM, as of now I don't know what was said to him.

Contract states under ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS, Section 4:
"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees..."

I see nothing else in the Contract that would fall under the "Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement" portion. Am I missing something?

The past two years, I have worked my normal job on the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't know what to do. I think I have two options...
  1. Not sign the paper, not work, file a Grievance under Art. 15, and for being denied the right to work, whatever Article that would fall under.
  2. Sign the paper "Under Protest," work Friday, file for the lost hours under Art. 15. But does signing the paper, even "Under Protest" waive my right to 8 hours?
Another thought, as the day after Thanksgiving is now a 'normal' operations day, if the Company gets away with this, what is to stop UPS from telling FT employees they can only have actual hours on any given day?

Any advice would be appreciated!

The Jeep Driver

On the road less traveled...
Option 2 above is the advice of a Steward, which is what I'm leaning toward, just wanted some others thoughts, and see if this is occurring in other Centers.

Ghost in the Darkness

UPS loves to paint themselves in corner. Wait till the next crippling snowstorm and UPS thinks some miracle will happen and santa will come and make sure everyone's crap will be delivered in time while we work as much as they can try to force.

BrownTexas

I have a 22.3 job; I do sort set-up, man the PM Customer Counter, process Exceptions from Drivers, load the Air Shuttle, do Haz-Mats, etc. On Friday the 18th I was told that on Friday the 25th (day after Thanksgiving) CC would be closed, and in order for me to be allowed to work that day, I had to sign a paper stating I would work for actual hours only. Same thing was said to our Centers PM 22.2, and both 22.3 who work AM. We have a 22.2 on the AM, as of now I don't know what was said to him.

Contract states under ARTICLE 15-HOLIDAYS, Section 4:
"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees..."

I see nothing else in the Contract that would fall under the "Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement" portion. Am I missing something?

The past two years, I have worked my normal job on the day after Thanksgiving.

I don't know what to do. I think I have two options...
  1. Not sign the paper, not work, file a Grievance under Art. 15, and for being denied the right to work, whatever Article that would fall under.
  2. Sign the paper "Under Protest," work Friday, file for the lost hours under Art. 15. But does signing the paper, even "Under Protest" waive my right to 8 hours?
Another thought, as the day after Thanksgiving is now a 'normal' operations day, if the Company gets away with this, what is to stop UPS from telling FT employees they can only have actual hours on any given day?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Doesn't really matter. The contract says you need to be paid 8 hours. So find a steward and file
What @Brownslave688 said. Sign it or not, it would be an extra contractual agreement and should be thrown out. Come in, work, file.

Faceplanted

Maybe you can lead by example and show other younger guys who are scared or don't know the contact and demand your 8hr upstate

People shouldn't be forced to work a 6th report regusrdless and the only real way to stop it is to demand 8

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe you can lead by example and show other younger guys who are scared or don't know the contact and demand your 8hr upstate

People shouldn't be forced to work a 6th report regusrdless and the only real way to stop it is to demand 8

I DON'T WANT TO WORK 8 HOURS ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Hope that clears it up for you.)

Faceplanted

I DON'T WANT TO WORK 8 HOURS ON SATURDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Hope that clears it up for you.)
It does, I'm sure after the newer guys follow your lead (usually how it works) and realize you and them are getting screwed over by the company they will be glad to slash your pension when your already retired

How about not working on any Saturday you don't feel like working? That can be accomplished if all full timers demand 8. But your short sided view will be the same when it comes time to cut Retiree pension and health care when us younger guys vote on contracts