Friendly reminder

Johney

Lets see if you feel the same way when YOU have 30 years in. Think you'll be willing to give stuff up for that lowly bottom senior person?

Insaneasylum

Lets see if you feel the same way when YOU have 30 years in. Think you'll be willing to give stuff up for that lowly bottom senior person?

Yes I will, I would do it now and I'm on the bottom. I don't work everyday, sometime's I don't get health ins for a week. But if I get 2-3 days and there's people below me that haven't worked I will pass for them. So they can make sure and have health care for there family. Would you sacrifice a day so someone else could work?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
If the part timers and bottom guys voted, it would be a whole different story.

Instead they complain on BC about how they'll screw the guys who put in the time at the top and who actually vote.

The downfall of our contract and union will be done by guys like the OP who are mad they're not getting as much as the ones before them. What they don't understand is everything they have now was fought for by the guys before them.

You think ups pays these benefits and wages because it wants to???

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Yes I will, I would do it now and I'm on the bottom. I don't work everyday, sometime's I don't get health ins for a week. But if I get 2-3 days and there's people below me that haven't worked I will pass for them. So they can make sure and have health care for there family. Would you sacrifice a day so someone else could work?

Every body says how they would do this but I'm betting you would not give up a chance to work and keep struggling so the guy below can work that day.

I call BS on that. You'll be the first guy to tell the lower guy to wait like you did. See it happen every time

Insaneasylum

As maddening as it seems to newer employees, the points you mention are just a few. Contracts are always give and take. When I started, I was not too happy about the giveaways in Art 40.

You will see it from a different place when it's your turn to vote. Do you want a higher wage? More pension? Paid healthcare? Holidays and vacations? Ups will not give without taking something away.

If you want to increase or even maintain your current benefits, you will have to see cuts in; future employees bennies, current employees bennies or past employees bennies.

Hard choices with lasting repercussions. For the record I along with many old timers, who chose to be involved in the process, brought these points up during contract talks. There was little interest from the Union or most rank and file.

Ups, as you may well know, has a turnover problem. There had to be a way of not rewarding a brand new employee with a full set of braces for his 8 kids, only to see him go back to Walmart as soon as the claim was paid. I personally know a gal who, after getting her 30 days in, had all 10 of her hammer toes straightened, and promptly went home to the UK, where it's free anyway.

When it's your turn, let's see how popular that idea is to you and your current coworkers.

I know what you mean about the give and take on contracts. And the turn over rate is almost all part-timers.
So then do we give nothing, and only take from the bottom?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I know what you mean about the give and take on contracts. And the turn over rate is almost all part-timers.
So then do we give nothing, and only take from the bottom?
Union shops and contracts don't necessarily work in that manner.

What you need to understand is eventually you'll be at the top percentage.

Unless you want to eliminate seniority, that's how it will always work. I know 4 year progressions suck but in the scheme of a 30 plus career, it's not a long time if you look at the big picture.

Insaneasylum

Every body says how they would do this but I'm betting you would not give up a chance to work and keep struggling so the guy below can work that day.

I call BS on that. You'll be the first guy to tell the lower guy to wait like you did. See it happen every time

You can call bs all you want. That is the truth. Will I give up my first 2 days of work no. Because my family needs something but I will give up a 3rd day so some one else gets work. Even though I can't really afford it. So I take it you make 35$/hr wouldn't pass for someone at the bottom to make sure he has health care for the week for his family. You must make your teamster brothers proud.

Johney

You act like the people below you would not work if you didn't take a day and let them.

You can call bs all you want. That is the truth. Will I give up my first 2 days of work no. Because my family needs something but I will give up a 3rd day so some one else gets work. Even though I can't really afford it. So I take it you make 35$/hr wouldn't pass for someone at the bottom to make sure he has health care for the week for his family. You must make your teamster brothers proud.
We all had to start at the bottom. Don't blame us for the healthcare. Blame H&H

Johney

Are you married and have a family?

Insaneasylum

You act like the people below you would not work if you didn't take a day and let them.

A lot of times that's the case. There was a week last year my son broke his arm on a Monday I didn't think I was going to work that week. But the 2 guys above me both passed for me even though they had only worked 1-2 days. You have to ask yourselves what would you give up for someone else. Especially knowing that they hold your pensions in there hands

Johney

What I don't seem to understand is why would you not work if these saints didn't take off so you could work? You say you're at the bottom of the feeder list, what you to proud to bump back into package? I'm sorry I'm missing something here.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
First of all, no you wouldn't. In my 20-25 year career, I've never seen a guy do that for lower senior guys out of the "goodness " of their heart. They either wanted the day off for personal gain.

You really don't know how the world at ups works or even the real world for that matter. If you're naive to think others who have put in their time and gone through EVERY single thing you posted to get to where they are in their career and they should just give up their right to work and money on the table so you can?
And yes I call BS that you'll give up thousands a month so the guys below you work one or more days. Like I said, never seen it unless that driver wanted that day off for personal reasons.
First off, put in your time like every single person before you. Second, if you're not driving every day and they're cutting routes that says one of two things:
Either there is not enough work in your center

Or your fellow teamsters aren't getting on the 9.5 list creating more routes so you can work.

And you're right. I make $35/HR and work every day. I earned that by putting in my time and waiting my turn. You should to. I also file over 9.5 which creates routes if every driver would in their center.

You sound like the guy that gets pissed he's not making 100k a year with 7 weeks vacation only after a few years at ups.

Insaneasylum

What I don't seem to understand is why would you not work is these saints didn't take off so you could work? You say you're at the bottom of the feeder list, what you to proud to bump back into package? I'm sorry I'm missing something here.

Not to proud at all, i have never been in package car. So I'm not qualified for it. But I have bumped in to the hub to load for 2 shifts every day. At less pay. So I ask you, would you pass on some work to make sure someone else gets some?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
We all had to start at the bottom. Don't blame us for the healthcare. Blame H&H
What I don't seem to understand is why would you not work if these saints didn't take off so you could work? You say you're at the bottom of the feeder list, what you to proud to bump back into package? I'm sorry I'm missing something here.
Exactly. Sounds like someone is mad they can't work feeders every day but I'm sure they're turning down working in package or even getting their 8 HR guarantee on preload/twilight.

Which if that's the case, the OPs rant is very hypocritical.

Johney

Not to proud at all, i have never been in package car. So I'm not qualified for it. But I have bumped in to the hub to load for 2 shifts every day. At less pay. So I ask you, would you pass on some work to make sure someone else gets some?
Wait a minute, I'm calling BS now. How can you be feeder qualified but not allowed to drive a PC?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Wait a second, you're able to still work getting your guarantee in the hub which would still qualify you for benefits and you still make money?

So you're working, you're just not working the classification you feel YOU deserve?

That's the garbage that makes the seniority guys not care about guys like you.

Insaneasylum

Exactly. Sounds like someone is mad they can't work feeders every day but I'm sure they're turning down working in package or even getting their 8 HR guarantee on preload/twilight.

Which if that's the case, the OPs rant is very hypocritical.

You prob did see it but I have bumped inside. So the same question to you. Would you pass on work for someone else? Given that you could.