Friendly reminder

Insaneasylum

Dam right I would. I was part of a shop closing up I know what it's like. I have been there hell i'm still there. That's what I'm trying to get at. All the dam greed, all the me me me, now now now. People don't have any common sense any more. I'm not complaining that I don't work everyday, that there is a 4 yr progression. I knew all this coming in. I gave up a 50 hr work week to come to ups because I know what the future can hold there.
I'm willing to pay my dues. I've done it before I'll do it again. My whole point is we we to stand together. We all need look around and realize that ups will play the low seniority guys against the high seniority guys. What ever group has the most people. That's when the group that has the most people need to think about others.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Dam right I would. I was part of a shop closing up I know what it's like. I have been there hell i'm still there. That's what I'm trying to get at. All the dam greed, all the me me me, now now now. People don't have any common sense any more. I'm not complaining that I don't work everyday, that there is a 4 yr progression. I knew all this coming in. I gave up a 50 hr work week to come to ups because I know what the future can hold there.
I'm willing to pay my dues. I've done it before I'll do it again. My whole point is we we to stand together. We all need look around and realize that ups will play the low seniority guys against the high seniority guys. What ever group has the most people. That's when the group that has the most people need to think about others.
Good points but you're contradicting yourself all over the place.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'm not entitled to any thing never said I was. And I never pass on work. You guys keep acting like I'm only worried about myself. I am worried that in the future we all get screwed. Because we can't see beyond our own nose. I don't hate people for waking there jobs and working there full week. That was never the point. The whole point of this post was that if you forget about the guys at the bottom, they will forget about you in the future.
With all due respect, you haven't worked here long enough to worry "about the future ".

Put your time in. When contract time comes up, offer your suggestions for that.

For now, be thankful you're a "feeder" driver.

Insaneasylum

Good points but you're contradicting yourself all over the place.

All I ever said was, that I'm willing to do those things I'm willing to pass work on to some one else who hasn't. That other people have passed on work to me when I needed it. I never once said I deserved it. Those other guys just assumed that I thought I deserved it. And I don't believe they liked it when I asked if they would help out there Union brothers by passing work on to them. But never once did I say I deserve to work 40+ hours at top pay.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Wait till 2018. You think the union sold us out on the last 2 contracts??
Now we cant walk out. Orion will be nation wide and live. They will take a few missed boxes for a couple weeks. Even months. For workers at 15 bucks an hr. For UPS to buyout pensions. Concessions galore. It will pass. No one votes
If Orion is making this job so easy, so simple, why are the newbies having a hard time?

How Now Brown Cow

I know 4 year progressions suck but in the scheme of a 30 plus career, it's not a long time if you look at the big picture.

You are a little off on this. Guys used to get hired off the street to drive a PC, maybe work a year or two. Now we're putting in 8-12 years before getting that chance, THEN waiting 4 MORE YEARS to get top rate. You're 12-16 years into your 30+ year career. A very significant amount.

Editing to add: I just read more of the post and saw the OP walked on into the feeder department. He absolutely has no room to complain. But I think your original comment was before you knew that as well.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You are a little off on this. Guys used to get hired off the street to drive a PC, maybe work a year or two. Now we're putting in 8-12 years before getting that chance, THEN waiting 4 MORE YEARS to get top rate. You're 12-16 years into your 30+ year career. A very significant amount.

Editing to add: I just read more of the post and saw the OP walked on into the feeder department. He absolutely has no room to complain. But I think your original comment was before you knew that as well.
Except it varies by region. And when you factor in the mass retirements coming, those numbers will be different.

The 4 year progression sucks. I get that. It was 2 1/2 before. That was reasonable. But it's worth it either way for 100k plus a year with full benefits.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Ok so come contract time how would you vote. Let's just say .40-.50 cent raises move health care back to today's a month and secure pensions. Or 1$ raises less health care and ups didn't have to take care of past retirees.
It's way more complex then that at negotiations for the contract. There are way more factors to consider and cutting raises to .40-.50 cents would not solve the pension or healthcare issues. Not even close.

oldupsman

I'm sorry for you young man. I sincerely am. Because you're going to get screwed. I've been retired 8 years now and there is no
doubt I saw the best of the union. It's all over. Oh maybe not this year or the next, but down the road it's coming. Sticking together
is a thing of the past. No one dares go on strike. Can't afford to. How many guys have personal strike funds set aside. Back in the day
alot of guys did. As a retiree I fully expect to get screwed. It's starting now with the pension cuts. I expect them to get worse.

The IBT will give up whatever it takes just to make sure everyone gets their stinkin 70 cent raise each year. Like it's some kind of
Holy Grail. There is no thought given to long time planning. Wait until they go to 5 year progression. Health care has just gotten
worse. But you're suppose to be grateful because it's better than somebody else's. Yeah well somebody else's company isn't
making $4 billion profit a year. If it makes you feel any better I remember the first contract that started this progression crap.
I objected quite loudly at the meeting. You know what I was told by my Illustrious IBT official. "What do you care, it won't
affect you." You don't have to worry about UPS dividing you kid. You need to worry about the IBT.