Friendly reminder

Insaneasylum

I'm sorry for you young man. I sincerely am. Because you're going to get screwed. I've been retired 8 years now and there is no
doubt I saw the best of the union. It's all over. Oh maybe not this year or the next, but down the road it's coming. Sticking together
is a thing of the past. No one dares go on strike. Can't afford to. How many guys have personal strike funds set aside. Back in the day
alot of guys did. As a retiree I fully expect to get screwed. It's starting now with the pension cuts. I expect them to get worse.

The IBT will give up whatever it takes just to make sure everyone gets their stinkin 70 cent raise each year. Like it's some kind of
Holy Grail. There is no thought given to long time planning. Wait until they go to 5 year progression. Health care has just gotten
worse. But you're suppose to be grateful because it's better than somebody else's. Yeah well somebody else's company isn't
making $4 billion profit a year. If it makes you feel any better I remember the first contract that started this progression crap.
I objected quite loudly at the meeting. You know what I was told by my Illustrious IBT official. "What do you care, it won't
affect you." You don't have to worry about UPS dividing you kid. You need to worry about the IBT.

You are 100% correct sir.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You are a little off on this. Guys used to get hired off the street to drive a PC, maybe work a year or two. Now we're putting in 8-12 years before getting that chance, THEN waiting 4 MORE YEARS to get top rate. You're 12-16 years into your 30+ year career. A very significant amount.
It used to be you had to wait at least 5 years to drive in my building, our last 3 guys to go FT had less than a year. We're seeing just the opposite. Plus with retirements coming up, it's only getting worse.

Insaneasylum

It's way more complex then that at negotiations for the contract. There are way more factors to consider and cutting raises to .40-.50 cents would not solve the pension or healthcare issues. Not even close.

Yes I know that. I was using that as a simple example. But the question still stands how you vote if it came down to some thing like that. Give up.60 cents or so to retirees can keep there pension and maybe lower the progression. Or take a 1$ and don't worry about the guy who have retired or the guys that will soon start.

How Now Brown Cow

It used to be you had to wait at least 5 years to drive in my building, our last 3 guys to go FT had less than a year. We're seeing just the opposite. Plus with retirements coming up, it's only getting worse.

And eventually your building will be back to a long wait, won't it? Once all those retirements happen, how long will it be before there is another large grouping of retirements again.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
And eventually your building will be back to a long wait, won't it? Once all those retirements happen, how long will it be before there is another large grouping of retirements again.
Everything goes in cycles. That's just the nature of life. There is nothing that could be done either way.

That's why if a FT bid comes up, take it. I know many PT who have turned it down

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You are 100% correct sir.
If you feel the union and our ups contract are in such bad shape, why did you take the job as off the street hire?

Sounds like you're already thinking it's bad when you've been here all of 5 minutes. It's not perfect and there is room for improvement always but man if you think it's like this now, maybe you should have taken another career path at your age.

Re-Raise

I don't look at my pension as a gift from new UPSers. I look at as a benefit that was paid into for me over the thirty years I worked here.

Explain to me again why I should thank you for it.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I know what you mean about the give and take on contracts. And the turn over rate is almost all part-timers.
So then do we give nothing, and only take from the bottom?

The give and take that exists in contact negotiations is between the company and the Union that represents us. If you vote, you'll have a chance to make that choice. Your question should be aimed at UPS, not at your coworkers.

Ups is free to give more to those at the bottom, but chooses not to for their own interests.

Those that vote most often, have already been at the bottom and paid their dues. I didn't hold a grudge because I saw the long range goal. When and if you become a driver, and see the difference in the mental, psychological and physical output that's expected of you then, compared to what your currently doing, you will likely feel you're being underpaid even more than you're being underpaid now.

You see what you see from where you are now. That will definitely change.

Retiree

[QUOTE="MC4YOU2, post: 2143234, member

Ups is free to give more to those at the bottom, but chooses not to for their own interests

You see what you see from where you are now. That will definitely change.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you have no idea how contract negotiations work. If the Teamsters wanted higher PT wages they could have had them years ago.

moldsporh

I don't look at my pension as a gift from new UPSers. I look at as a benefit that was paid into for me over the thirty years I worked here.

Explain to me again why I should thank you for it.

My thoughts as well.

Hey OP, I hear what you're saying but it's a safe bet you're getting paid a decent hourly wage for what you do, have you checked the job market lately?

So is this about a 4 year progression to the current pay rate, did you think about what us 20+year employees were making at the end of our progression (albeit shorter progression) to what you're getting paid now?

If you want to think the newbies may screw us for a higher pay rate now for lower retirement pay, keep in mind they may want to retire as well.

Perhaps they want to think about their income when they turn 60 and don't want to hand out flyers at a local grocery store.

Sounds like you are making a blanket statement for all the senior employees. I personally would rather see a $.25-. $.50 increase over $1 to favor a better pension but that's just me. I have worked here many years and feel I have earned a pension and I also feel we get paid a decent hourly wage despite how much the company profits.

Maybe we should ask the runner gunners to stop throwing packages from the street to build a higher customer base or ask loaders not to walk across the packages and use them as lily pads in a pond se we don't deliver boxes with boot prints on them.

Maybe the whole scenario is larger than you make it out to be.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
[QUOTE="MC4YOU2, post: 2143234, member

Ups is free to give more to those at the bottom, but chooses not to for their own interests

You see what you see from where you are now. That will definitely change.

Obviously you have no idea how contract negotiations work. If the Teamsters wanted higher PT wages they could have had them years ago.[/QUOTE]

And...if UPS wanted to pay them more they could. And....if the part timers voted they could get more.

Insaneasylum

OP...Did you whine like a little b when you applied for this job, or were you thankful to get in the door?

You guys miss my entire point. I'm talkin about future contracts. If we don't stand together everyone will get screwed past, current, and future employees. It's all the dam greed. I knew what I was getting in to when I came to ups.

Yes everyone deserves there pension. I for one will always vote to make sure it's there. And I'm not talking about a reduction in pension I'm talking about ups making up the difference in central states deficit.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Wait till 2018. You think the union sold us out on the last 2 contracts??
Now we cant walk out. Orion will be nation wide and live. They will take a few missed boxes for a couple weeks. Even months. For workers at 15 bucks an hr. For UPS to buyout pensions. Concessions galore. It will pass. No one votes
They can barely get the packages delivered with full staffing and permission given to ignore ORION. There arent enough maganagemt people available to train new hires now, much less in the event of a strike. Hiring 150,000 people off the street and training them...even to a minimal standard...would take years, not days or weeks. And ORION only makes a hard job even harder.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
They can barely get the packages delivered with full staffing and permission given to ignore ORION. There arent enough maganagemt people available to train new hires now, much less in the event of a strike. Hiring 150,000 people off the street and training them...even to a minimal standard...would take years, not days or weeks. And ORION only makes a hard job even harder.

At half our pay. They will take it. I also don't believe all will walk. The union is headed out in our area.

Johney

You're assuming everyone would walk. That's funny. Here I'd bet 85 to 90% the first day and by the end of the first week that would drop to 15% on the street. So how long would it take to retrain? You really need to wake up.

Insaneasylum

You're assuming everyone would walk. That's funny. Here I'd bet 85 to 90% the first day and by the end of the first week that would drop to 15% on the street. So how long would it take to retrain? You really need to wake up.

But would you walk if it came down to it?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The company was counting on 95% of the workforce crossing the picket line within a week back in 1997.
3 weeks into the strike, 95% were still honoring the picket line.
The pilots union also honored our picket line and refused to fly, which grounded the airline once the management pilots ran out of hours.
The idea that ORION will allow untrained people to walk in off the street and replace us within days is not realistic. ORION doesnt work. It takes a hard job and makes it harder, it wastes time and adds miles. And there simply are not enough management people to train an adequate number of replacements while at the same time keeping things running. The on car management we had in 97 was far better trained, compensated and motivated than the ones we have today. Half of the management people we have would probably quit if we struck. Why stay? They arent getting a pension and they could jump ship to Amazon and make more money.