From a VP job to flipping burgers and handing out free samples: Here's a cautionary tale of what can

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Providing for your grown children as well as your grandchildren is not your responsibility. It amazes me (and I'm writing this as a generalization, not a reference to your - or anyone else's - circumstance) how many Baby Boomers continue to work to provide for their grown children who are struggling in this economy... when if the Baby Boomers themselves retired, they'd open up better opportunity for their children.

While providing for your grown children (and grandchildren) is not your responsibility, it doesn't matter how old your kids are, you will always want to make sure they are taken care of (within reason).

My son will be graduating with his MBA and $70K in debt in May. Yes, the debt is solely his responsibility, but I will try to do what I can to help him lower this debt while making sure that I have enough set aside for my retirement in 5 years.

Returntosender

While providing for your grown children (and grandchildren) is not your responsibility, it doesn't matter how old your kids are, you will always want to make sure they are taken care of (within reason).

My son will be graduating with his MBA and $70K in debt in May. Yes, the debt is solely his responsibility, but I will try to do what I can to help him lower this debt while making sure that I have enough set aside for my retirement in 5 years.
Since you a driver and make big money.
Three weeks ago you could have spent 8,108 dollars to buy 900 shares of MDBX at under 9 dollars a share. Yesterday closing price 73.90 you could sell today at market open make have 65,700 dollars in three weeks. Easily pay down your son's 70k in debt.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Three weeks ago you could have spent 8,108 dollars to buy 900 shares of MDBX at under 9 dollars a share. Yesterday closing price 73.90 you could sell today at market open make have 65,700 dollars in three weeks. Easily pay down your son's 70k in debt.
A fools trap!

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.

Tell us about the "hot" deal that will do the same looking forward not backwards.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

While I understand and believe it's commendable that parents' continue to help out their adult children, I agree it should only be done within reason and as long as it's not affecting the parent's quality of life.

Good example: A college student attending UCLA, Michigan, NYC, Cornell, etc. may borrow the entire cost of attendance and s/he'll be fine, since they're essentially guaranteed a solid payday upon graduation. But a college student going off to Average State University will struggle. Parents should encourage the student to attend much lower-cost community college instead (while working part-time), while living at home saving on shelter & having a plate saved from dinner. Doing this for just the first two years of college will have minimal impact on the parents while saving the student $30K or more.

Bad example: I work with a driver whose kid attended Average Out Of State University, because he was in love with the football team (as a spectator-does not play). Cost of attendance for four years: about $175K -- and of course the kid is fluidly spending on MacBooks, weekend trips into the city and spring break to Cancun. Meanwhile the dad bid onto a crappy route & offers to stay out late so that he gets 60 hours per week, and took up limo driving on the weekends. The dad's completely miserable and should've been retired by now (he's maintained he'd retire at 35 years since I've known him, but will be here 40 or more now).

It's great to continue to provide for your loved ones, but stupid decision making / entitlement thinking is one of the reasons many people (and our country) are in such a mess.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
While I understand and believe it's commendable that parents' continue to help out their adult children, I agree it should only be done within reason and as long as it's not affecting the parent's quality of life.

Good example: A college student attending UCLA, Michigan, NYC, Cornell, etc. may borrow the entire cost of attendance and s/he'll be fine, since they're essentially guaranteed a solid payday upon graduation. But a college student going off to Average State University will struggle. Parents should encourage the student to attend much lower-cost community college instead (while working part-time), while living at home saving on shelter & having a plate saved from dinner. Doing this for just the first two years of college will have minimal impact on the parents while saving the student $30K or more.

Bad example: I work with a driver whose kid attended Average Out Of State University, because he was in love with the football team (as a spectator-does not play). Cost of attendance for four years: about $175K -- and of course the kid is fluidly spending on MacBooks, weekend trips into the city and spring break to Cancun. Meanwhile the dad bid onto a crappy route & offers to stay out late so that he gets 60 hours per week, and took up limo driving on the weekends. The dad's completely miserable and should've been retired by now (he's maintained he'd retire at 35 years since I've known him, but will be here 40 or more now).

It's great to continue to provide for your loved ones, but stupid decision making / entitlement thinking is one of the reasons many people (and our country) are in such a mess.
I hope that limo driver doesn't pick up a DOT inspector. What's worse than having two jobs is having no job.

twoweeled

bmwmc, you state "work is a subjective definition."

I purpose to you this question; If you are doing what you love or truly enjoy is it really work? Isn't retirement actually just a time in which you can now do what you want when you want IF you had planned appropriately?

BTW, your financial example is horrible to say the least! You completely ignore the power of compounding and time value of money.

I have always had a problem with people saying "they love their work". If they loved loved doing it, they wouldn't have to be paid to do it. I can think of a lot of things I love to do. I do not need to be paid to do ANY OF THEM. :beach: