From exhausting helpers the 1st couple days to worrying about their hours the next...

• Thread starter selfcancelsignal
  • Start date

moldsporh

Why are helpers being exhausted? Are you running them into the ground? Use proper methods and procedures, they shouldn't have to run. When you deliver a stop, they can walk to the next house at the same time, or a nearby stop.

I agree, these people come here for less pay than Mcdonalds, deal with the cold, etc....and waste their day for 3 to 4 hrs pay.

We used to keep them all day, helped with business, pickups, houses, and at the end of the day, the end of the week, end of the peak...we weren't beat to the ground. We were able to develop a rhythm and even stay out late helping other drivers.

Now we can only pick them up later in the day since we're only allowed so many hours, resulting in the driver fighting a bricked truck for the first 4 hours of the day getting way behind.

We used to try to make heads or tales of the truck, sort a small section, while the helper ran a stop so we could focus on the load.

Not now..... we're told we can have the helper for 3 hrs and they expect you to finish since. ...

"You only had 80 more stops and a helper for 3 hrs"

Yeah, with a nice load and only 80 more stops that would work, but you gave me a huge mess that I had to deal with by myself with no helper that you are ignoring since I can't use a helper until after lunch based on hours avail.

They are so freaking deliberately ignorant most of the time it's beyond words.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Why are helpers being exhausted? Are you running them into the ground? Use proper methods and procedures, they shouldn't have to run. When you deliver a stop, they can walk to the next house at the same time, or a nearby stop.

I agree, these people come here for less pay than Mcdonalds, deal with the cold, etc....and waste their day for 3 to 4 hrs pay.

We used to keep them all day, helped with business, pickups, houses, and at the end of the day, the end of the week, end of the peak...we weren't beat to the ground. We were able to develop a rhythm and even stay out late helping other drivers.

Now we can only pick them up later in the day since we're only allowed so many hours, resulting in the driver fighting a bricked truck for the first 4 hours of the day getting way behind.

We used to try to make heads or tales of the truck, sort a small section, while the helper ran a stop so we could focus on the load.

Not now..... we're told we can have the helper for 3 hrs and they expect you to finish since. ...

Yeah, with a nice load and only 80 more stops that would work, but you gave me a huge mess that I had to deal with by myself with no helper that you are ignoring since I can't use a helper until after lunch based on hours avail.

friend that. This is what I expect from my helper.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I wouldn't let my helper move any faster than I do. My pace leaves something to be desired at my age and physical condition!
Learned a long time ago that the more stops you bang out the more you get the next day.
Stay safe out there. Hoping the doctor releases me on the 26th.

We had a helper this week that crapped his pants and worked like that for hours. Driver smelled something but didn't want to be rude. After he dropped the helper of he checked the seat and it had poop all over it. They had to clean the truck and remove the seat and treat it as a biohazard. The driver called off the next day.

Just when you think you've seen it all something else comes along.

S

selfcancelsignal

I think you misunderstood me. They were working helpers M-W as many hours as they wanted/needed to git 'r done at our center. Then all of a sudden Thursday, they started micro managing the use of helpers ridiculously!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I keep my helper until I get done, I don't look at the suggested amount of time on their paper time card I get.

Thursday I was allowed 3.67 helper hours and used him for 5.99. center manager told me on Friday that I am to follow their plan. Friday I was allowed 5.5 and used him for 5.49---the problem was their dispatched stops used to determine the 5.5 was off by 21 stops. I should have been allowed 7.5 hours.

The part that frustrates me is that I have been running at least an hour under which means that I have been using my helper effectively.

Most of the guys in the center are like you---they use them til they are done.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Thursday I was allowed 3.67 helper hours and used him for 5.99. center manager told me on Friday that I am to follow their plan. Friday I was allowed 5.5 and used him for 5.49---the problem was their dispatched stops used to determine the 5.5 was off by 21 stops. I should have been allowed 7.5 hours.

The part that frustrates me is that I have been running at least an hour under which means that I have been using my helper effectively.

Most of the guys in the center are like you---they use them til they are done.

Sometimes you have to tell them the consequences of their actions.
One call saying that you are dropping off your helper at the scheduled time, AND BY THE WAY I will need an air meet, ground meet and will be over 11.
OR I can keep him for another hour and a half and get my truck back in time. They will always let you keep the helper.

Those stops per hour they think you can do can't be attained in a blown out truck with irregs down the middle.

oldngray

nowhere special
No helper for me...yet. I'd rather not have one.

On some routes helpers are a waste but UPS will still insist you have one and load you up with a ton more stops. Some routes a helper makes a big difference but other routes they end up slowing you down but UPS will try to pretend all routes are equal.